• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tahoe Grand Residence versus Timber Lodge?

aklausing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MCP, MGO, Destination Points
I have a three bedroom reserved at Grand Residence 2 in South Lake Tahoe August 28-September 4. Our sons and their wives are joining my wife and I. Timber Lodge is available at the same time and not sure if I should switch Timber Lodge. Has anyone reserved a three bedroom at either resort and can provide pros and cons on rooms and resorts?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
IIRC, at the Grand Residence, exchangers have to pay a hefty daily parking fee. At the Timberlodge, exchangers don't have to pay a daily fee.

The GR is a nice place as is the TL. Next door to each other.

I have read that at the GR that there are no two rooms the same. So, reports from one person from a 3 BR may differ from someone else's reports.

Check to confirm that you have an in-room washer and dryer. I know that they have them in the TL, but I'm not positive about the GR. Perhaps in the larger units they have them.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stayed at both.

I agree with the above. Biggest difference is the car parking fee. I ended up parking at Harrahs that week since I have elite status and receive free parking.

IIRC, there is no washer/dryer in room at Grand Residence. You have access to the shared laundry room and it wasn't busy when I was there. With TL the washer dryer is in unit.

My 2BR/3BA unit at Grand Residence was huge but not a lockout. Rooms are different sizes and layouts so YMMV. I also found GR to be much quieter in the hallways ... Timber Lodge can be a zoo because you have the added traffic of the gondola adjacent to the property; with GR you have a buffer of the TL in between. GR is closer to Raleys if that matters.

Whether you stay at either property, you can go to either set of activities at each property. We took advantage of both properties.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
I have a three bedroom reserved at Grand Residence 2 in South Lake Tahoe August 28-September 4. Our sons and their wives are joining my wife and I. Timber Lodge is available at the same time and not sure if I should switch Timber Lodge. Has anyone reserved a three bedroom at either resort and can provide pros and cons on rooms and resorts?
They're both very nice! We're owners so we didn't pay a parking fee. We personally like Timberlodge the best because it's a little more casual but we enjoyed staying at both properties. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Timber Lodge has a bigger pool and more hot tubs (I think.) Timberlodge has a kids club/teen rooms, I don't recall seeing it @ GRC.
GRC floor plan varies from unit to unit. Some have massive balconies, but I believe it's a crap shoot on which unit you get.

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got my Plan Your Vacation for Timber Lodge. It said there is no self parking and all exchangers must pay $29/night valet parking fee. Not sure if this is a new change or not but was glad they gave us a heads up. I may look at Harrah's parking which Google says is $13/day for self-parking.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Just got my Plan Your Vacation for Timber Lodge. It said there is no self parking and all exchangers must pay $29/night valet parking fee. Not sure if this is a new change or not but was glad they gave us a heads up. I may look at Harrah's parking which Google says is $13/day for self-parking.
Are you sure you are reading this right? It says "all exchangers must pay $29/night valet parking fee"?

If so, this is unprecedented.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I've been to TL perhaps 4 or 5 times. Once on a getaway and 4 times on exchanges. I called in advance and asked about the parking fee. I was told that exchangers and owners don't pay a parking fee. I didn't pay a fee on the getaway but perhaps that is because I am a Marriott owner (elsewhere). The people I know have to pay the parking fee are people renting by the night. So I have never paid a parking fee. My last stay was in June 2019 which is pretty recent.

So, I'd call in advance, especially if you are on an exchange. And remind them when you check in whether you are a Marriott owner (anywhere) and/or are on an exchange.

aklausing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MCP, MGO, Destination Points
I am using Destination Points for my reservation. I called GR before booking and was told I would not have to pay parking, but when I reserved through MVCI, I was told there is a parking fee. My reservation on Marriott.com shows a parking fee. I called GR again and was told since I'm using DP I do not have to pay parking.

I also asked the people at GR both times I called to give me specifics on the room. The reservation on Marriott.com says two bedrooms on the loft and the pictures make it look like they are open to the first floor. The first time I spoke to GR directly I was told the floor plan I have has all three BR on same floor. The second time I spoke with them, I was told only one bedroom is on the second floor and it is not open to the first floor. Not sure I like the inconsistent answers I'm getting at GR, so will probably switch to Timber Lodge.

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well this is right from their Plan your Vacation email:
Resort Parking — Valet Only
Marriott Vacation Club Owners occupying an Ownership Reservation will receive Valet Parking complimentary for one vehicle. Any additional vehicles will be charged $29/night. Owners staying in 3-bedroom villa on an Ownership Reservation will receive complimentary valet for up to 2 vehicles.

All Exchange Guests and Renters will be charged $29/night for Valet Parking. The resort does not offer any self-parking.

I do own six weeks at other Marriotts so I will call them ahead of time, but this is an interval exchange so it appears they plan on charging me $29/night.

77JC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge x2, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark
I am a Timber Lodge owner but stayed on an II exchange the first week of December. The valet parking for a two bedroom unit was free for the first vehicle and $29/day for each additional vehicle. We parked one of our vehicles at Harrahs as well but the slot machines cost us more than the $29 a night.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Timber Lodge owner and have parked a car at Harrah's no problem. However, our last visit there was a patrol person who advised they would tow cars. (Don't know how to obtain proof of gambling losses to stay.)

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they have parking gates setup at Harrahs as of last year when I went so self park is no longer free.

1. Certain elite level gamblers get free parking by swiping your card. Not sure which level - I am diamond and do get free parking.
2. Sometimes a nice person checking out will leave their room key in the slot of the exit gate but ymmv of course.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm about to confirm a 1 br MGA.
Does anyone know how much is the parking?

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score

We just stayed at Timber Lodge last week and I can confirm that owners and people renting from owners are not charged for valet parking for 1 car.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
We just got back from Timber Lodge on an Interval trade. While we were there, I looked at my account on the TV, and there was a line item for both internet and valet every day, but zero dollars. The day before checkout, we were emailed a preliminary bill, and the valet charge was on there for $29 per day. I did not say anything at the time, since we were not leaving until the next day. Right after we checked out, we got another email, and it was zero dollar, no charge. I don't know if there is some manual adjustment that happens and glad they didn't forget to do it. We are Marriott owners, but not owners at Timber Lodge. I will say that I find the Timber Lodge rooms a bit more snug than other Marriott resorts. I may try Grand Residence next time.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
You pay for parking at Grand Residence if you are not an owner! Expensive!
Note that if you use destination points there are no fees for the first car at either resort. (Or two cars depending on the size of your villa).

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw it was posted on the front page of my II reservation. $32 / day parking at the Marriott's Grand Residence, Tahoe.

Is there a building I should request?

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw it was posted on the front page of my II reservation. $32 / day parking at the Marriott's Grand Residence, Tahoe.

Is there a building I should request?
If you don't mind the short walk across the border, Harrah's parking is $10/nt self park during fall (though it does say TBD for concert season). As I mention above, less if you gamble/dine there. For a 7 night stay, that can save $$$.