• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

StarOptions transfer on resale?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The Abound fee replaces the VSN fee, and you should only pay one Abound fee across all your VOIs, assuming they are titled identically. The only exceptions, I think, are Harborside at Atlantis which is not yet part of Abound (so if you owned there, you might have to pay a separate VSN fee for that property) and I want to say Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas in Vail, Colorado, which is also not yet part of Abound...
This thread though is about new transfers of VSN mandatory resale. We don't really know how they are handled. Some have reported that they are getting billed a separate Club Fee because Vistana is, at least not currently, combining VSN accounts. I also understand that current Harborside and Riverfront owners are paying the new higher VSN fee and aren't being double billed. However, if a person were to purchase a new Harborside, they might incur a duplicate fee.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The Abound fee replaces the VSN fee, and you should only pay one Abound fee across all your VOIs, assuming they are titled identically…
I agree.
That‘s what the FAQ states once they fix all of their system issues.

C86B022E-8DA3-43D2-BC6C-DBC6C453823E.jpeg

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
The Abound fee replaces the VSN fee, and you should only pay one Abound fee across all your VOIs, assuming they are titled identically. The only exceptions, I think, are Harborside at Atlantis which is not yet part of Abound (so if you owned there, you might have to pay a separate VSN fee for that property) and I want to say Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas in Vail, Colorado, which is also not yet part of Abound...
to be more specific, I am referring to mandatory resales AFTER 8/9/22. These weeks are not eligible for Abound, but are eligible for VSN. It would be great if our already paid Abound fee covers these non-abound weeks also, or if they have to join VSN membership seperately to use the staroptions.

Though that last line from alwaysonvac gives hope that if its in VSN, it'll be included.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
to be more specific, I am referring to mandatory resales AFTER 8/9/22. These weeks are not eligible for Abound, but are eligible for VSN. It would be great if our already paid Abound fee covers these non-abound weeks also, or if they have to join VSN membership seperately to use the staroptions.

Though that last line from alwaysonvac gives hope that if its in VSN, it'll be included.
I can confirm that there is no additional fee.

A mandatory resale week was added to my existing Vistana account in 2023.
I have all mandatory weeks. All are eligible VOIs except for this new week.

Here’s my experience

Problems encountered and resolved
(1) My new week wasn’t added to my existing account upon completion of the transfer. The title department resolved my issue by merging all accounts under the same owner member id.
(2) Once the accounts were merged, I could see the new week on the Vistana dashboard and under “What you own” however like others reported the system indicated that I couldn’t make an online reservation. Once Tuggers started reporting that the online reservation issue had been resolved, I confirmed that I was also able to make a Vistana reservation using my new 2023 StarOption.

Observations
(1) Confirmed new resale mandatory week appears under “Elect for Club Points” but displayed as Not Enrolled
(2) Confirmed updated total Club points balance and new Ownership level. Club point values across all enrolled VOIs in VSN are included in the total number of Club Points used to generate one ownership level.
(3) Confirmed Banking fee displayed as $0 for new 2023 week as it should.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Observations
(1) Confirmed new resale mandatory week appears under “Elect for Club Points” but displayed as Not Enrolled
(2) Confirmed updated total Club points balance and new Ownership level. Club point values across all enrolled VOIs in VSN are included in the total number of Club Points used to generate one ownership level.

Re (2) - if the new week is not enrolled, why would the club point balance and owner benefit level change when it was added?

Have you asked about a $3000 fee to enroll it? :)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Re (2) - if the new week is not enrolled, why would the club point balance and owner benefit level change when it was added?
I’m assuming because Club Dues are based on ownership level. Those who own more and have more vacation-related transactions throughout the year :shrug:

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Problems encountered and resolved
(1) My new week wasn’t added to my existing account upon completion of the transfer. The title department resolved my issue by merging all accounts under the same owner member id.
How did you get the title department to merge the new account under your preexisting owner member id? I have two additional (voluntary) VOIs added, one in Nov, one in Feb. I asked to have them added to my existing membership, which does have an enrolled (retail) VOI. I was told that they couldn't do that, and that I had to create a new login for each new VOI. So now I have 3 logins for Vistana and it's irritating as hell.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I’m assuming because Club Dues are based on ownership level. Those who own more and have more vacation-related transactions throughout the year :shrug:
So are you saying they are counting the Club Points this week would be able to elect for in your OBL? Even though you can't actually elect points for it?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not sure why you are staying "as it should" here. It seems based on information provided by Vistana that ineligible weeks would be subject to the a la cart fees.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
How did you get the title department to merge the new account under your preexisting owner member id? I have two additional (voluntary) VOIs added, one in Nov, one in Feb. I asked to have them added to my existing membership, which does have an enrolled (retail) VOI. I was told that they couldn't do that, and that I had to create a new login for each new VOI. So now I have 3 logins for Vistana and it's irritating as hell.
Sorry to hear.

In February, I received an email from the title department that my transfer was complete.
I checked my Vistana account and didn’t see my new week so I replied to the same email with all of my existing account information and requested a merge.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I am not sure why you are staying "as it should" here. It seems based on information provided by Vistana that ineligible weeks would be subject to the a la cart fees.
I stated why in post #27.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I stated why in post #27.
I am not sure that covers the situation though. At least not in the context of the question in the FAQ. It seems the question was to quell fears of owners of both Marriott and Vistana VOIs enrolled in Abound. Do you own Marriott? It seems buying resale VSN Mandatory VOIs could be a way to plump up ones OBL even though the points can't be elected?

Last edited:

karen r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
Resale newbie here so some of the language above is over my head and looking for clarification. We are trying to sell our Harborside at Atlantis (a mandatory resort) timeshare as we have had some life changes that preclude our ability to use it. We have current and banked StarOption points, and would include in the sale to sweeten the deal but when I called the resort office they said that those points would NOT transfer with the sale, only the points going forward. However, the person on the phone could not tell me where to find this info (in writing) in the ownership documents. Anyone here able to give me some insight? Thank you.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not sure if it is in writing anywhere. Based on experience, current use year StarOptions will transfer, even if the VOI was broken. Just be sure that the contract includes the first use year to the buyer as 2023 and be sure the closing agent specifies that in the information to Vistana. Banked StarOptions will not transfer. You need to use them before the VOI is transferred in Vistana's system. You probably have a lot of time. Transfer could take several months.

karen r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
I am not sure if it is in writing anywhere. Based on experience, current use year StarOptions will transfer, even if the VOI was broken. Just be sure that the contract includes the first use year to the buyer as 2023 and be sure the closing agent specifies that in the information to Vistana. Banked StarOptions will not transfer. You need to use them before the VOI is transferred in Vistana's system. You probably have a lot of time. Transfer could take several months.
Thank you.

Sarumann

Reaction score
It's not uncommon for timeshare developers to impose restrictions on resale purchases, such as limiting access to certain benefits or amenities. In some cases, resale buyers may not be eligible for certain perks or benefits, such as bonus weeks or exchange programs. The specific restrictions and policies may vary depending on the timeshare company and the ownership level.