• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

South Korea Trip Planning 2024

tripplanner

Reaction score
I'm starting to get excited for my trip to South Korea next year! I'll be traveling solo for 2 weeks in May and am hoping to get some advice on how to best plan my itinerary.

So far I know I want to spend a few days in Seoul checking out the palaces, temples and street food. I've also heard the scenery in Jeju Island is beautiful, is it worth making the trip down there for a couple nights?

For those who have been, what are some "can't miss" destinations outside of Seoul I should include? Are rural areas like Andong or Busan a better use of my limited time compared to smaller cities?

Also, any recommendations for affordable places to stay? Hostels, capsule hotels or homestays? Budget is a consideration for this trip.

Anyone have any tips for getting around with limited Korean language skills? I understand some basic phrases but will mostly be relying on maps and gestures.

Looking forward to hearing from others who have visited. The culture seems so different from what I'm used to and I want to experience as much as possible in my time there. Let me know your South Korea travel tips and insights!

ABCTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
We lived in South Korea for two years, but that was 10 years ago, so some of this info could be dated- double check everything. This website shows a lot of the places we visited on various weekend trips: https://thisiskoreatours.com/suggested-korea-itineraries/. I would recommend that if you go to Jeju to go there first. Then you can hop over to Pusan or Daegu and see the southern part of Korea and head north to finish in Seoul. Jeju Air is like the Southwest airlines of Korea and fairly cheap to use to hop down there.
1- English speakers can be found in Seoul and many signs in the city are mostly in both languages. The city has a huge population of people from all over the world due to embassies, business, tech etc. so you could encounter a great variety of people on your trip. However, the moment you get to the outskirts of Seoul, the dual signing drops off. However, we found that 100% of the time we were out of the city, people went out of their way to help us because they were just as interested in us as we were them. We've had several times where strangers gave us rides in their personal cars and shared their snacks, off duty taxi drivers picked us up for no fare, and business people closed their shop to walk us to the location we were trying to find. The kindness knew no limits! Also, we found many fluent English speakers in the children and teens who were thrilled to use their English skills in real life situations. Koreans are incredibly kind people and demonstrating respect for their cultural values will get you further than perfect language skills. Avoid being loud, having confrontations or exhibiting frustration. Also, show respect to anyone older than you- offer seats, hold doors, stand aside. A few other cultural tips: if you have tattoos keep them covered up, women showing cleavage is inappropriate and no one shows bare feet unless at the pool. Lastly, use two hands when paying/handing over tickets, etc- give and receive everything with two hands.
2- The entire country of South Korea is almost exactly the same size (and nearly the same shape) as the state of Indiana, so you can easily move around and you don't have to go far to be "in the rural areas." High speed train was my preferred way to move north/south in the country, but if you sit in the quiet car understand it is the SILENT car. Intercity bus is how we got around in the northern half of the country. These are very nice, roomy and comfy full size buses where you can put luggage underneath and sit with a foot rest and look out the window as you ride along. You buy your ticket at the bus station before you board, but do not need an advance purchase. Buses go around the country with much frequency so you are not usually waiting more than an hour before the next departure. Depending on the length of the trip, the bus stops at a rest area with bathrooms and "food court" style eating areas.
**Food courts---- typically you go to a central cashier and select your food and pay for it. Then you take your receipt to the actual food stall and are given what you paid for. Food stalls typically have 3-D models or photos of their food, so take a photo of what you want and show it to the cashier and they'll get it rang up for you.
If you drive, which we did occasionally, do not plan to drive in any cities. (I did drive some in Seoul, but it's not for the faint of heart) Driving in the country is much easier and less congested, but you will be 100% GPS dependent. We experienced significant "lag" on the GPS, so often it would not tell us to be in a certain lane until we had passed the line of cars getting into that lane. It might be better now, but just anticipate frustration and delay. Also if you get into the rural areas (where it's local bus service only) know that busses can be infrequent... maybe once per hour... and plan accordingly.

3-Because we lived in Seoul, most of our travel was day trips from there (long days but always worth it.) However we did stay in hotels in Pusan, Daegu, and Jeongdongjin all of which have enough to do to fill multiple days.

4- Things to do: If you plan to shop a lot, do Seoul last so you can buy a cheap bag and bring home your purchases without having to lug them around the country. Insadong (traditional and artsy) and Myeongdong (youthful, modern, fun) are my favorite neighborhoods in Seoul- but you can stay anywhere and get around easily. Shopping markets are a huge deal. "Purse heaven" was a favorite as was "toy alley" but literally any kind of item you want to buy, there is a designated "market" where you go and all those items are there. Namdaemun market is probably the most famous and there is the night market in Myeongdong. Gwangjang Market is one of my favorite places to eat and is best in the morning up through lunch. Mung bean pancakes are probably my favorite Korean food, which are common here in this market. Also any kind of steamed buns stuffed with pumpkin, black beans or red beans is delicious. If you are at outdoor locations, ladies with carts will sell you handmade food items and this is inexpensive and safe to purchase. Usually they have kimbap (similar to California rolls). Other street food includes seafood "pancake" and my favorite Kimchi "pancake" or yaki mandu (fried dumplings.) With all major cities, there are amazing museums, cultural sites, parks, and lots of fun nightlife- just do what seems interesting to you. Hiking up to the Seoul Tower to watch sunset or sunrise across the city is a great way to get some exercise. Koreans love the beautiful outdoors and hiking is a very big past time. There are fantastic places to go on hikes that you can get to via the Seoul metro. In fact, the ends of the Seoul metro extend far into the country side and is a great way to get out for day trips without having to relocate lodging. If you are interested, there are public tours to the DMZ area but if you want to see the Joint Security Area (where the blue buildings are) be sure that is part of your trip plans with that tour operator. Very few providers include that area so you have to be clear. To make it easy on yourself, you might consider booking excursions with tour operators or hired drivers just to ensure you get to your destination without frustration and confusion. You have to decide how much of the day you are willing to spend on navigating public transportation to be "independent" versus just going on the tour and relaxing and enjoying yourself.
Korea is a safe country. You will not need to worry about physical safety there. I went all over the country by myself with a small child and never worried about a thing. I was a long-distance runner during the time I lived in Seoul and logged hundreds of miles in the dark, alone not once worried about safety.
May is a spectacular month to be in Korea with warm, mild weather and flowers blooming everywhere. The climate that month will be similar to DC/Virginia/Maryland. March and April experience "yellow dust" but it is typically cleared out by May, however you should bring/buy a face mask just in case it is still going when you first arrive.
One final thought- we did not go to Jeju. You have to fly there and we were interested in flying other places in Asia. It is popular with honeymooners and it is considered the "Hawaii of Korea." That phrase means it is a beautiful honeymoon/island vacation destination within country. That is where the similarities end. Friends who visited Jeju say it is pretty, but not at all like Hawaii, and the most interesting part was going to the "educational" museums about marriage intended for the honeymooners. Educational museums were a special subtype in Korea...I once drove out with friends to the “Mr. Toilet House Museum" and it was unforgettable! I was not the least bit surprised when the poop emoji took off because that was already huge in Korea :)

Have a great trip.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Fantastic post @ABCTravels. I know I’m not the OP, but this will be helpful to a lot of us who have South Korea on our bucket list. Thank you!

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ABCTravels, for bringing back so many wonderful memories of our visits to South Korea. Our son was teaching in Seoul and married a beautiful Korean girl. We were so fortunate to be there for their traditional Korean wedding and also for the birth of our precious granddaughter.

Your tips and insights of this beautiful country will be an invaluable aid to anyone hoping to visit.

Dori

ABCTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
Thanks, ABCTravels, for bringing back so many wonderful memories of our visits to South Korea. Our son was teaching in Seoul and married a beautiful Korean girl. We were so fortunate to be there for their traditional Korean wedding and also for the birth of our precious granddaughter.

Your tips and insights of this beautiful country will be an invaluable aid to anyone hoping to visit.

Dori
That is incredibly special! Traditional Korean weddings are fascinating events! Our very first morning in Seoul we were at our hotel eating breakfast looking out over a spectacular garden and I saw a bride taking her photos in her bridal hanbok and it just took my breath away! In my opinion, the hanbok is one of the most beautiful traditional garments in the world.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
ABCTravels, I totally agree! As the mother of the groom, I had the privilege of wearing a hanbok to the wedding. The whole ceremony was incredible from start to finish!

Dori

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
ABCTravels, I totally agree! As the mother of the groom, I had the privilege of wearing a hanbok to the wedding. The whole ceremony was incredible from start to finish!

Dori
Would you mind sharing your picture with hanbok?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I could stir up interest in visiting S. Korea. A dear friend and her husband moved there a couple years ago to be with
their only son, his Korean wife and two grandkids. Her husband is in declining health, so I'd like to visit to offer my love.
I've never flown that far.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
we went to south korea this past summer. we flew from seoul to Jeju island and airfare were very cheap on budget airline and onmajor korean airline like asiana and korean airline. i think i paid about $60 round trip seoul to jeju include a luggage but not able to get miles on star alliance united airline due to super discounted fares. i didn’t use the budget airline because cheapest fares didn’t include luggage. while at Jeju island, we joined a tour to western part of the island and hired a car with a korean drive to see southern part of the island as southern island tour only offer once a week while tour to eastern and western part of island happen daily
we also bought the seoul pass while at seoul which i think offer values. we used the seoul pass to get dress up in hanbok and entered the palace free. we also took day tour to dmz from seoul as well
one thing i had problem with while in s korea was using atm to get money. i had chase debit card which didn’t work in s korea but worked fine in japan. There are lot of currency exchange with good exchange rate in Myeongdong where we stayed

kupool

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks ABC for the delightful trip down memory lane. We were there in '06 and it still ranks as one of our best trips.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I could stir up interest in visiting S. Korea. A dear friend and her husband moved there a couple years ago to be with
their only son, his Korean wife and two grandkids. Her husband is in declining health, so I'd like to visit to offer my love.
I've never flown that far
Yes it is a very long flight, but so totally worth it! Not only would you get to see your dear friends, but you would get to experience a very different culture. We would never have considered South Korea as a travel destination if it hadn’t been that our son was living there, but we are so glad we did, and did it 4 times!

Dori

tripplanner

Reaction score
We lived in South Korea for two years, but that was 10 years ago, so some of this info could be dated- double check everything. This website shows a lot of the places we visited on various weekend trips: https://thisiskoreatours.com/suggested-korea-itineraries/. I would recommend that if you go to Jeju to go there first. Then you can hop over to Pusan or Daegu and see the southern part of Korea and head north to finish in Seoul. Jeju Air is like the Southwest airlines of Korea and fairly cheap to use to hop down there.
1- English speakers can be found in Seoul and many signs in the city are mostly in both languages. The city has a huge population of people from all over the world due to embassies, business, tech etc. so you could encounter a great variety of people on your trip. However, the moment you get to the outskirts of Seoul, the dual signing drops off. However, we found that 100% of the time we were out of the city, people went out of their way to help us because they were just as interested in us as we were them. We've had several times where strangers gave us rides in their personal cars and shared their snacks, off duty taxi drivers picked us up for no fare, and business people closed their shop to walk us to the location we were trying to find. The kindness knew no limits! Also, we found many fluent English speakers in the children and teens who were thrilled to use their English skills in real life situations. Koreans are incredibly kind people and demonstrating respect for their cultural values will get you further than perfect language skills. Avoid being loud, having confrontations or exhibiting frustration. Also, show respect to anyone older than you- offer seats, hold doors, stand aside. A few other cultural tips: if you have tattoos keep them covered up, women showing cleavage is inappropriate and no one shows bare feet unless at the pool. Lastly, use two hands when paying/handing over tickets, etc- give and receive everything with two hands.
2- The entire country of South Korea is almost exactly the same size (and nearly the same shape) as the state of Indiana, so you can easily move around and you don't have to go far to be "in the rural areas." High speed train was my preferred way to move north/south in the country, but if you sit in the quiet car understand it is the SILENT car. Intercity bus is how we got around in the northern half of the country. These are very nice, roomy and comfy full size buses where you can put luggage underneath and sit with a foot rest and look out the window as you ride along. You buy your ticket at the bus station before you board, but do not need an advance purchase. Buses go around the country with much frequency so you are not usually waiting more than an hour before the next departure. Depending on the length of the trip, the bus stops at a rest area with bathrooms and "food court" style eating areas.
**Food courts---- typically you go to a central cashier and select your food and pay for it. Then you take your receipt to the actual food stall and are given what you paid for. Food stalls typically have 3-D models or photos of their food, so take a photo of what you want and show it to the cashier and they'll get it rang up for you.
If you drive, which we did occasionally, do not plan to drive in any cities. (I did drive some in Seoul, but it's not for the faint of heart) Driving in the country is much easier and less congested, but you will be 100% GPS dependent. We experienced significant "lag" on the GPS, so often it would not tell us to be in a certain lane until we had passed the line of cars getting into that lane. It might be better now, but just anticipate frustration and delay. Also if you get into the rural areas (where it's local bus service only) know that busses can be infrequent... maybe once per hour... and plan accordingly.

3-Because we lived in Seoul, most of our travel was day trips from there (long days but always worth it.) However we did stay in hotels in Pusan, Daegu, and Jeongdongjin all of which have enough to do to fill multiple days.

4- Things to do: If you plan to shop a lot, do Seoul last so you can buy a cheap bag and bring home your purchases without having to lug them around the country. Insadong (traditional and artsy) and Myeongdong (youthful, modern, fun) are my favorite neighborhoods in Seoul- but you can stay anywhere and get around easily. Shopping markets are a huge deal. "Purse heaven" was a favorite as was "toy alley" but literally any kind of item you want to buy, there is a designated "market" where you go and all those items are there. Namdaemun market is probably the most famous and there is the night market in Myeongdong. Gwangjang Market is one of my favorite places to eat and is best in the morning up through lunch. Mung bean pancakes are probably my favorite Korean food, which are common here in this market. Also any kind of steamed buns stuffed with pumpkin, black beans or red beans is delicious. If you are at outdoor locations, ladies with carts will sell you handmade food items and this is inexpensive and safe to purchase. Usually they have kimbap (similar to California rolls). Other street food includes seafood "pancake" and my favorite Kimchi "pancake" or yaki mandu (fried dumplings.) With all major cities, there are amazing museums, cultural sites, parks, and lots of fun nightlife- just do what seems interesting to you. Hiking up to the Seoul Tower to watch sunset or sunrise across the city is a great way to get some exercise. Koreans love the beautiful outdoors and hiking is a very big past time. There are fantastic places to go on hikes that you can get to via the Seoul metro. In fact, the ends of the Seoul metro extend far into the country side and is a great way to get out for day trips without having to relocate lodging. If you are interested, there are public tours to the DMZ area but if you want to see the Joint Security Area (where the blue buildings are) be sure that is part of your trip plans with that tour operator. Very few providers include that area so you have to be clear. To make it easy on yourself, you might consider booking excursions with tour operators or hired drivers just to ensure you get to your destination without frustration and confusion. You have to decide how much of the day you are willing to spend on navigating public transportation to be "independent" versus just going on the tour and relaxing and enjoying yourself.
Korea is a safe country. You will not need to worry about physical safety there. I went all over the country by myself with a small child and never worried about a thing. I was a long-distance runner during the time I lived in Seoul and logged hundreds of miles in the dark, alone not once worried about safety.
May is a spectacular month to be in Korea with warm, mild weather and flowers blooming everywhere. The climate that month will be similar to DC/Virginia/Maryland. March and April experience "yellow dust" but it is typically cleared out by May, however you should bring/buy a face mask just in case it is still going when you first arrive.
One final thought- we did not go to Jeju. You have to fly there and we were interested in flying other places in Asia. It is popular with honeymooners and it is considered the "Hawaii of Korea." That phrase means it is a beautiful honeymoon/island vacation destination within country. That is where the similarities end. Friends who visited Jeju say it is pretty, but not at all like Hawaii, and the most interesting part was going to the "educational" museums about marriage intended for the honeymooners. Educational museums were a special subtype in Korea...I once drove out with friends to the “Mr. Toilet House Museum" and it was unforgettable! I was not the least bit surprised when the poop emoji took off because that was already huge in Korea :)

Have a great trip.
Thanks so much for all the great advice! I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and recommendations. May is definitely sounding like a perfect time to visit. I'll definitely check out that tour site for ideas on destinations outside Seoul.

tripplanner

Reaction score
I've never flown that far.
I hope you can visit your friends. Your friends and family would really appreciate you making the effort to see them. :)

tripplanner

Reaction score
T
we went to south korea this past summer. we flew from seoul to Jeju island and airfare were very cheap on budget airline and onmajor korean airline like asiana and korean airline. i think i paid about $60 round trip seoul to jeju include a luggage but not able to get miles on star alliance united airline due to super discounted fares. i didn’t use the budget airline because cheapest fares didn’t include luggage. while at Jeju island, we joined a tour to western part of the island and hired a car with a korean drive to see southern part of the island as southern island tour only offer once a week while tour to eastern and western part of island happen daily
we also bought the seoul pass while at seoul which i think offer values. we used the seoul pass to get dress up in hanbok and entered the palace free. we also took day tour to dmz from seoul as well
one thing i had problem with while in s korea was using atm to get money. i had chase debit card which didn’t work in s korea but worked fine in japan. There are lot of currency exchange with good exchange rate in Myeongdong where we stayed

Thanks for sharing your experience visiting Jeju Island and Seoul. Renting a car on Jeju with a driver is a great idea, that way you can cover more ground without being limited by tour schedules. The guide on GoWithGuide about South Korea tourism statistics was also quite helpful https://gowithguide.com/blog/south-korea-tourism-statistics-2023-all-you-need-to-know-5254 - it had some interesting facts on major cities like Seoul and Busan. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip overall, and it's good to know about potential issues with certain debit cards. South Korea has so much to offer visitors.