• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the camera thread, I have a Nikon D810, but before that, I used a Nikon D200. This was taken in 2012 from our (late wife and I) South Tower balcony at Wyndham Ocean Walk, I had it mounted on a tripod. When taking a shot like this, you NEVER want to look into the viewfinder, it's like compressing all the energy and light from the Sun into a laser. What I did was I aimed it in the general direction. As soon as I saw a small sliver of the Sun beginning to rise over the clouds, I got it into position, then took the shot when the Sun was high enough.
Settings:
  • Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 400
So, share your best DSLR photos (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, etc) with the settings used including aperture. If you don't know the settings, go to the folder. Right-click on the image and select Properties. Maybe your photo(s) will inspire someone else to make a similar photo!

Attachments

• DSC_0344.JPG
    DSC_0344.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 16

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Sunset at Duke's Beach House Maui. Handheld shot from our table.

1709408763382.png

2016-08-17%2018-49-59-X4.jpg

Brett

Reaction score
As I mentioned in the camera thread, I have a Nikon D810, but before that, I used a Nikon D200. This was taken in 2012 from our (late wife and I) South Tower balcony at Wyndham Ocean Walk, I had it mounted on a tripod. When taking a shot like this, you NEVER want to look into the viewfinder, it's like compressing all the energy and light from the Sun into a laser. What I did was I aimed it in the general direction. As soon as I saw a small sliver of the Sun beginning to rise over the clouds, I got it into position, then took the shot when the Sun was high enough.
Settings:
  • Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 400
So, share your best DSLR photos (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, etc) with the settings used including aperture. If you don't know the settings, go to the folder. Right-click on the image and select Properties. Maybe your photo(s) will inspire someone else to make a similar photo!

With modern (mirrorless) cameras the viewfinder is an LCD screen so there's no problem with sunset or sunrise shots, you don't even need a tripod.
But I understand with older reflex mirror cameras pointed directly at the sun it could damage the eyeball

and there's already a TUG photo thread - just not used much

https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/picture-of-the-day-dial-up-internet-users-enter-at-own-risk.68566/

but I'll play
a shot I took yesterday in my backyard with my new Canon 200-800 lens

White-throated sparrow

352A2359   __ COPY __ SMALL.jpg

Last edited:

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
With modern (mirrorless) cameras the viewfinder is an LCD screen so there's no problem with sunset or sunrise shots, you don't even need a tripod.
But I understand with older reflex mirror cameras pointed directly at the sun it could damage the eyeball

https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/picture-of-the-day-dial-up-internet-users-enter-at-own-risk.68566/

but I'll play

White-throated sparrow

View attachment 89361
I hate you :p - I so want the 200-800 RF, just not sure it's worth the money to me right now.
CR5_3107-small.JPG

This is about the best I've gotten with my test and now mostly discarded "smaller" soft 100-400 Tamron. 400mm, 1/1000, f6.3 ISO 4000 Canon R5.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
And here's one from my trip to London in Nov 2023, again my more preferred EF 24-70 F2.8 II, F2.8 1/100 ISO 3200 at 50mm.
small-CR5_8961.JPG

Just before we went to see Wicked. Much cheaper in London than on Broadway for some reason. I just like the colors and lights of the outside of the theater.

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Fuji XT2 mirrorless. Sunset at Aulani.

(Comes across as a 31KB picture so it is more blurry than it should be. Is this the max size a picture can be?)
Snapseed.jpeg

Last edited:

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE looking at all these photos!!! Thanks all ~ you're all so talented!

Brett

Reaction score
I hate you :p - I so want the 200-800 RF, just not sure it's worth the money to me right now.
This is about the best I've gotten with my test and now mostly discarded "smaller" soft 100-400 Tamron. 400mm, 1/1000, f6.3 ISO 4000 Canon R5.
only get the 200-800 for birds and other wildlife, I'm still keeping my EF 100-400

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
While I miss my high(er) quality images taken with my Olympus DSLR equipment, I don't miss lugging around 25# of camera gear. I downsized to a Nikon P900 a few years ago, and have never looked back. Check out this video of a grizzly taken with it last summer, from some 200-300 yards away (with the P900). To put it in perspective, this is the still image of this bear, taken with my mobile.

Bear on Hwy287.jpg

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
While I miss my high(er) quality images taken with my Olympus DSLR equipment, I don't miss lugging around 25# of camera gear. I downsized to a Canon P900 a few years ago, and have never looked back. Check out this video of a grizzly taken with it last summer, from some 200-300 yards away. To put it in perspective, this is the still image of this bear, taken with my mobile.

View attachment 89498
I don't like lugging around camera gear either. I don't get great shots, but I get pretty good shots with a Panasonic DC-ZS80. It has a 20x zoom and it fits in my pocket. This picture of a green heron was taken from about 30 yards away.

green%20heron%202020-05-10%2003-15-50%20068-X3.jpg

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I don't like lugging around camera gear either. I don't get great shots, but I get pretty good shots with a Panasonic DC-ZS80. It has a 20x zoom and it fits in my pocket. This picture of a green heron was taken from about 30 yards away.

green%20heron%202020-05-10%2003-15-50%20068-X3.jpg
I don't love lugging around gear either, but that's pretty bad quality as an image. I might be too picky, but that almost hurts to look at :p ...

I think I got close to that quality at IDK probably 300 yards on a boat:
1709666837422.jpeg

This was with my older APSC DSLR so around 860mm equivelent. F7.1, Canon 80D, 1/2000 sec, Tamron EF 150-600 G1 @ 600mm. ISO640.

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
While I miss my high(er) quality images taken with my Olympus DSLR equipment, I don't miss lugging around 25# of camera gear. I downsized to a Canon P900 a few years ago, and have never looked back. Check out this video of a grizzly taken with it last summer, from some 200-300 yards away. To put it in perspective, this is the still image of this bear, taken with my mobile.

View attachment 89498

WOW!!! No comparison!!!

Reaction score
One thing I have found works: if you're going to do a certain type of photography, load everything into your car. But, when you head out to your spot, only take your camera body and one lens. You can buy a lens case, I have a Nikon one with a belt loop so I could essentially take the body, one lens on the body, and one in the case.

TS

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One thing I have found works: if you're going to do a certain type of photography, load everything into your car. But, when you head out to your spot, only take your camera body and one lens. You can buy a lens case, I have a Nikon one with a belt loop so I could essentially take the body, one lens on the body, and one in the case.

TS
Good plan, but when you do a lot of long distance travel (by plane, etc), lugging gear becomes a challenge. Back in 2008 I went to Churchill, Manitoba for polar bear viewing (where my avatar here was taken). The small puddle jumper from Winnepeg to Churchill had mandated weight limits for baggage which including my camera gear. It was frustrating not being able to take everything with me.

I have also had my telephoto zoom lens "on" expecting the action to be far away, and then not being able to capture things closer than expected. This seems to happen a lot in Denali & Yellowstone National Parks.

I felt it was a small sacrifice to make (downsizing) and all in all, I'm getting the images I want when traveling.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's a beautiful photograph!!!

Getting "great shots" is no longer a priority for me. When I thought about selling my photographs, I really wanted the best and crispest. Now I just want nice photos to share and remember my life's experiences. So much so, that for some travel (like my recent cruises) I have only used my phone, which also does a decent job.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
P.S. I had to edit my original post . . . my newer point & shoot is a Nikon P900 . . . NOT a Canon! My bad. :(

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure

TS
This is what I've started doing. Though I will also take a smaller backpack but maybe I should try a belt loop one. I usually only want one or two lenses anyway, and the backpack is still a rigmarole to swap lenses.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

but I'll play

White-throated sparrow

View attachment 89361

That is really something. The definition is fantastic. Nice shot Brett.

Bill