• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sedona

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Were they still shut down from COVID? Many of the resort fire pits here in Florida have not yet reopened.
I don't believe that they were still shut down from Covid. I think that they had been re-opened. The very recent closing of the firepits and grills is a reaction to the high fire danger in that area of Arizona.

About 3 weeks ago we were at the Lake Tahoe Marriott Timberlodge. One day there was a fire in Carson City which is about 25 miles North and East from Tahoe. The Timberlodge was upwind of the fire. One evening they shut down the gas grills citing the fire down-wind and 30 miles away. SMH.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I don't believe that they were still shut down from Covid. I think that they had been re-opened. The very recent closing of the firepits and grills is a reaction to the high fire danger in that area of Arizona.

About 3 weeks ago we were at the Lake Tahoe Marriott Timberlodge. One day there was a fire in Carson City which is about 25 miles North and East from Tahoe. The Timberlodge was upwind of the fire. One evening they shut down the gas grills citing the fire down-wind and 30 miles away. SMH.
AZ is not CA. We get our fires early and this season has been extremely bad. It seems the worst is over for now and we are grateful. We had 19 active fires and were out of resources - no more planes or personnel to beat back the flames. Your comments regarding Sedona are simply not accurate because you have not been paying attention.

I would urge anyone with plans to travel to Sedona to follow a FB group, etc. to keep tabs on what is really going on. Sedona was on alert to be ready to evacuate. I cannot imagine what that must be like.

Regarding the gas grills, sorry, don't know. Regarding the decision to shut down the National Forests. Yes, I 100% stand by this decision. If you lived here, you would know that this is not uncommon - limits in summertime due to fire risk. Lots of rules and respect for those who fight these fires. Some are acts of nature started by a lightening strike. Some are caused by humans.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! This is all so sad to read, but thanks everybody for the updates. @jerseyfinn I know you're in VOC, stay safe. We looked at some houses way up Verde Valley School Road, and I wondered at the time how we'd get out if there was a fire?

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Good question Pam.

Coming to AZ from sea-level NJ living on what I call a 360 degree mountain archipelago of canyons has been a completely new lifestyle. Previously you envision a single house fire as a distant possibility. In VOC/Sedona it's similar but with a few more caveats. We're at altitude; 4300 & 4500 ft respectively with very low humidity and long periods of drought /scant rainfall. This adds extra risk & need for more diligence in terms of trees and proximity of bush's etc. to your house otherwise our
neighborhoods are typical like others. BUT you now worry about trees in the neighborhood. Anything is still possible.

The more rural folks are more vulnerable to fire because of distance / proximity to fire in the canyons. (think of Jacks Canyon in VOC ). So a wildfire is always possible and some housing tracts more vulnerable.

Unlike a certain neighboring state, AZ is focused on proper zoning and governce that sets limits about how and where you build. We're not assured of everything but we do due diligence with preventive burns to reduce risk along with good oversight and response times.

That said we only have 2 ways out. South on 179 or thru Sedona and west to Cottonwood. Presently VOCs problem is the occasional fender bender at one of the circles which creates temporary gridlock as police need to process the scene. Panic might cause more mayhem than a fire.

Otherwise life here is like anywhere else excepting the red rocks

We're itching to get to Florida and Ocean Pointe but that would be a summer science project between high humidity and dry heat.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1. Your comments regarding Sedona are simply not accurate because you have not been paying attention. ...

2. I would urge anyone with plans to travel to Sedona to follow a FB group, etc. to keep tabs on what is really going on.

3. Sedona was on alert to be ready to evacuate. I cannot imagine what that must be like.
1. My post was intended to be an update for others. What I said regarding the National forests being shut down and the BBQ grills at the Hyatt were correct. You say "not accurate" and "not paying attention". I find that comment to be both off base and unnecessary.
2. I have been following FB pages including the Rafael Fire site. So I knew about some of the issues but the shutdown of the National forest was something that I missed. I thought that others may have missed it and that is why I posted it.
3. "I cannot imagine...." Well I CAN !!! I have first hand experience. In 2003 in SD county we had a 273,000 acre fire. I could see several of the fires from my house. I live in a rural area. I was ordered to evacuate. In 2007 in SD county we had a 368,000 acre fire. I could see the fires and the glow in the sky from my house. I was ordered to evacuate. I also single handedly put out a 2 Acre fire on the edge of a forest in Minnesota.

So, while YOU cannot imagine what it must be like, I CAN. I've lived through it. It was traumatic. I expect that there will be more threats in my future. But I keep situational awareness, pre-planning and avoid taking fire risks. I keep a to-go bag, emergency food provisions, a fire suit, and a case of "Barricade" fire retardant (google it).

I have also "gone on alert" when local fires broke out. These are fires that are close enough that I can SEE the flames. BTW, I have received urban wildfire training and am a member of the local "Fire Safe Council" and have financially supported our local firefighters in fund raisers and have dropped off food at their local station. Plus I have received hands-on industrial fire training (including going into a burning building in charge of a small squad on a high pressure hose). I have "hardened" my house and five acre property and have well over a 150 foot defensible space, a gas-powered high volume water pump (getting water from my pool), a full fire suit, helmet, etc. So, I am not your average residential property owner with no knowledge of the danger of wild fires. If you live in the urban area of Phoenix, I suspect that you don't have that same type or amount of experience.

I'm not trying to start a fight here. Actually - - just the opposite. But I think that your response to my informative post was unfriendly. Hey, we're both fellow Tuggers!

I propose that we call a truce now that you know a bit about my background and first hand experiences.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
my apologies! Your post sounded like you were complaining about #firstworldproblems. I did not realize you meant it to be informative.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
my apologies! Your post sounded like you were complaining about #firstworldproblems. I did not realize you meant it to be informative.
Peace !
BTW, Sedona got some rain on Saturday and again last night. Not a lot. But it all helps.

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Cocconino and Prescott National Forests have rescinded their closures. High fire precautions remain in effect. Our entire region remains locked in the throes of a 3 year drought. In our immediate area, we finally got some decent monsoon rains that fell on the Verde Valley. This in turn " reduced " the intensity of our 2 big fires,whilst new small fire pop up.

So northern Arizona has loosened restrictions contingent on fire conditions. Temperatures here exceed100 in the north and can run 10 degrees higher in Phoenix / Tucson metro areas. Lake Havasu area very hot.

Travel safe
Barry

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cocconino and Prescott National Forests have rescinded their closures. High fire precautions remain in effect. Our entire region remains locked in the throes of a 3 year drought. In our immediate area, we finally got some decent monsoon rains that fell on the Verde Valley. This in turn " reduced " the intensity of our 2 big fires,whilst new small fire pop up.

So northern Arizona has loosened restrictions contingent on fire conditions. Temperatures here exceed100 in the north and can run 10 degrees higher in Phoenix / Tucson metro areas. Lake Havasu area very hot.

Travel safe
Barry
Thanks for posting this, @jerseyfinn

At the Hyatt they re-opened their BBQ grills yesterday. I think that there are six to eight grills on site and there are two open. I suspect that they don't have more open because they are short on the labor to clean them. I used one by the activity center (the other one is in the new section across the arroyo). It doesn't have an automatic gas-lighting mechanism, so I had to get help from security to find a long-nosed BBQ lighter. But at least I could use it.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Picazzo's was excellent when we were there and the Coffee Pot was pretty good too. We also met friends at Javelina Cantina. Any of the three were good.
+1 on Picazzo's. Its one of our favorites! Mariposa is great for a romantic evening. Views are awesome. I've heard good things about Mesa Grill. Hope to try that next visit. Coffee Pot is good, but expensive to go more than once or twice a visit. We usually eat breakfast in the TS.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we were in Sedona a month ago, we went to a bunch of wine tasting rooms in Clarkdale, Cottonwood and Jerome. My personal advice is to go there several hours after they open for the day. That way, you are less likely to be drinking wine that was opened yesterday or the day before. I thought that several of the wines were pretty good. I thought that Tantrum and Pillsbury (Cotton wood) were very good. But none were unenjoyable.

We also went to Rene's restaurant in Tlaquepaque. It is always good. But for some reason, they stopped serving bread with the meal (Covid related?). We went to the Cowboy club in Uptown. It is always good. But we enjoyed the previous layout that included the "Silver Saddle room" much more. The owners wanted to change it - - possibly to include more tables. They too stopped service bread with the meal.

The Sound Bites restaurant at the Hyatt had a special event called "Wino Wednesday". They had about a dozen different wines to choose from. I think that it cost $20 a person but we thought that it was worth it. We drank the wine as we had our meal.

We had a decent meal at the restaurant at the airport. The only negative was that the server returned the bill but did NOT return my credit card. It took him a few minutes to find it. Strange - - that is the first or second time in perhaps 50 years of using credit cards that the card wasn't returned with the bill. Perhaps it was just an accident, but that put me on "alert", so I'm checking my credit card bills going forward.

The Hyatt is our favorite timeshare in Sedona.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought that I would resurrect this year old thread to see if anyone wants to add any updates to their favorite restaurants, activities or closures.

Last year we wanted to go to the Enchantment resort by Boynton Canyon for a lunch in Che ah chi. But they were only serving food to customers who were staying there. I checked their web site and it says the same thing. But I think that I'll call just in case the website is out of date.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I thought that I would resurrect this year old thread to see if anyone wants to add any updates to their favorite restaurants, activities or closures.

Last year we wanted to go to the Enchantment resort by Boynton Canyon for a lunch in Che ah chi. But they were only serving food to customers who were staying there. I checked their web site and it says the same thing. But I think that I'll call just in case the website is out of date.
Having lunch at the Enchantment was a highlight when we would go to Sedona.

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Heading to Sedona and looking for suggestion for places to eat—moderately priced . Traveling with 2 grandsons (13& 15) so we do not need real high end places. We are from the northeast, so something with the southwestern flare would be perfect. All suggestion appreciated

Boys & pizza go together. You could do Pisa Lisa in Sedona proper. Pisa Lisa has good pizza & other offerings Nice gelatto deserts. You could also do a short drive south on the 179 for pizza at Rotten Johnnys in nearby village of oak creek.(VOC) Located at the Collective. Again good pizza with other offerings & a quiet back patio. Difference here being you're more separated from the traffic & hustle bustle of Sedona proper. Nice red rock views here in VOC and a bit quieter.

Cafe Jose in Sedona a decent breakfast place ( located in Safeway /Mc Donalds shopping center ) Also some Mexican offerings. Likewise Mileys Cafe in VOC at the Collective. As to prices: Sedona always has high prices & they're up there like the rest of US this moment.

If you're here for some hiking be advised that trail parking fills up fast whether in Sedona itself or Village of Oak Creek. If you want to hike here in VOC send me a PM as I can suggest a few trails here. Enjoy your visit

barry

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Lunch at The Hudson was a treat. I think we arrived around 2:30-ish, after the lunch crowd. It wasn't busy at that hour, and we were seated at a fabulous table outdoors with a wonderful view of the red rocks. Prices here are a bit higher than many Sedona eateries, but it seems as if everything these days is getting expensive (and we're finding that most restaurants just aren't worth the high cost anymore). This was a memorable meal, both for the food and the location. It's rare that I can remember what I ordered at a particular restaurant, but I know that here I had the White Marble Farm Pork Chops here they were excellent. Odds are that my wife ordered one of the fish dishes, probably the Salmon.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Boys & pizza go together. You could do Pisa Lisa in Sedona proper. Pisa Lisa has good pizza & other offerings Nice gelatto deserts. You could also do a short drive south on the 179 for pizza at Rotten Johnnys in nearby village of oak creek.(VOC) Located at the Collective. Again good pizza with other offerings & a quiet back patio. Difference here being you're more separated from the traffic & hustle bustle of Sedona proper. Nice red rock views here in VOC and a bit quieter.

Cafe Jose in Sedona a decent breakfast place ( located in Safeway /Mc Donalds shopping center ) Also some Mexican offerings. Likewise Mileys Cafe in VOC at the Collective. As to prices: Sedona always has high prices & they're up there like the rest of US this moment.

If you're here for some hiking be advised that trail parking fills up fast whether in Sedona itself or Village of Oak Creek. If you want to hike here in VOC send me a PM as I can suggest a few trails here. Enjoy your visit

barry
Thanks Barry for the suggestions.

My favorite hikes are Bell Rock/Court House Butte and the airport loop. The Cathedral loop is also fun. I find the whole area to be beautiful.

Bruce

JerseyDeb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

My favorite hikes are Bell Rock/Court House Butte and the airport loop. The Cathedral loop is also fun. I find the whole area to be beautiful.

Bruce
I second those suggestions. The Bell Rock/ Courthouse Butte hike is one of my all time favorites. Varied terrain so it's not all up or all down at once like hiking the Grand Canyon. Enjoy!

LOL all this is making me want to plan a return trip to Sedona soon!

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO

Bruce

Keep in mind Castle Rock which itself is directly across the road from the main Courthouse Butte parking lot near Circle K. Begins as Slim Shady Trail & in 8-10 minutes you reach "Made in the Shade Trail " which parallels Slim Shady, but from higher vantage point.. Some nice views of Courthouse & Bell Rock. not as busy as Courthouse side & Bell Rock. This is my off trail "playground" from across the road as I could walk from house and reach Cathedral Rock if I want to do a 9 mile RT. For most, MIS trail a nice walk where you circle back via Slim Shady for a circular hike.

Photos of Courthouse and Castle Rock from out back and front yards.
Dena-2_IMG_0487.jpg

Dena-2_IMG_0489.jpg

JerseyDeb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Keep in mind Castle Rock which itself is directly across the road from the main Courthouse Butte parking lot near Circle K. Begins as Slim Shady Trail & in 8-10 minutes you reach "Made in the Shade Trail " which parallels Slim Shady, but from higher vantage point.. Some nice views of Courthouse & Bell Rock. not as busy as Courthouse side & Bell Rock. This is my off trail "playground" from across the road as I could walk from house and reach Cathedral Rock if I want to do a 9 mile RT. For most, MIS trail a nice walk where you circle back via Slim Shady for a circular hike.

View attachment 55917

View attachment 55918
Ok now you are really making me jealous!
What I wouldn't do for that view everyday!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

View attachment 55917

View attachment 55918
Thanks for the suggestion on made in the shade trail. Is there parking by the trailhead?

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
[
Ok now you are really making me jealous!
What I wouldn't do for that view everyday!

Yeah it was total luck. We were going out to Sedona for several years & 5 months after retiring we go out for a month simply to hike & learn the real estate market with idea of moving out in a few years. This was 2015 when market was at it's bottom. Even then houses in our budget hard to find in VOC so we look at each other & ask if we should pull the trigger then & there.knowing this is where we want to retire. The rest is history. This house a big down size from our NJ house. It's 2BR, 1200 sq/ft 2 car garage. Down sizing is critical & we love it now. Similar value/price as our larger 4BR NJ home in Burlington County. Big issues is AZ property taxes only $1600 vs $8400 in NJ . . . you already know the NJ tax things Deb :cautious:).

At first we didn't really notice Courthouse Butte in backyard as all of the backyard bushes were way overgrown. Didn't have a backyard fence so we're over run by javelinas each night. Put up a fence & take care of that problem. Proximity to trailheads a big motivator.

I excelled at growing crab grass in NJ. As you see, gravel puts you in synch with the landscape; no grass to cut. We grow native plants; yuccas etc as the javelinas don't eat them; deers do eat some of the yucca flowers but that's OK with us. We bring back yard under better control. You're right about looking at Courthouse & Castle Rock every day. All of this happens for us because of luck & the courage to pull the trigger & figure out how to exit NJ later. Big difference from the green northeastern US & this SW desert mountain domain. But all in a good sense.

barry

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Thanks for the suggestion on made in the shade trail. Is there parking by the trailhead?
Park in the Courthous Butte parking lot & walk back to the road & cross road there. You'll see the trail beyond the bik/hike store

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Park in the Courthous Butte parking lot & walk back to the road & cross road there. You'll see the trail beyond the bik/hike store
thanks again!