• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Clemente Inn Grand Pacific Resorts - Should I buy it?

mjdim61

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts
Hello Tug members,

I'm currently in the process of taking over someone's TS at the San Clemente Inn. All the timeshare company who's processing the transfer would offer me is an estoppel letter which looks like the owner filled out themselves. If correct I'm happy with the TS and what it offers. I'm interested in the resort because it's a short drive for my family and I can see us going there on a yearly basis. Overall the reviews of the TS look good. Not perfect but good enough for me.

Just curious is there any info out there I don't know about the San Clemente Inn or Grand Pacific Resorts that I should consider before completing the purchase? I welcome all good and bad info to help me make the best decision. Thanks in advance!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're buying "blind". Not to be critical, but I think you should do a lot more research prior to making a final commitment.

Things I would question is ongoing maintenance fees, special assessments projected, health of reserves, when does timeshare sunset (if any date), condition and upkeep of property, how many weeks owned by the association, etc.

The other thing I would do is take it for a test drive (i.e. rent a week myself) prior to purchasing. It's a great way to see what may or may not be going on behind the scenes... You don't want to be stuck with someone else's headache.

I hope you have someone competent who will handle the transfer of the property into your name. I recommend Legal Title Transfers (www.LTTransfers.com).

Best of luck!

mjdim61

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts
Sounds like you're buying "blind". Not to be critical, but I think you should do a lot more research prior to making a final commitment.

Things I would question is ongoing maintenance fees, special assessments projected, health of reserves, when does timeshare sunset (if any date), condition and upkeep of property, how many weeks owned by the association, etc.

The other thing I would do is take it for a test drive (i.e. rent a week myself) prior to purchasing. It's a great way to see what may or may not be going on behind the scenes... You don't want to be stuck with someone else's headache.

I hope you have someone competent who will handle the transfer of the property into your name. I recommend Legal Title Transfers (www.LTTransfers.com).

Best of luck!

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I totally agree with you on all those points.

I'm planning to stay at least a weekend to check out the resort. But since it's a company handling the transaction and I don't have contact with the owner, the company says that all they can say is what I'm seeing on the estoppel letter. The letter doesn't seem that 'official' to me. I was planning to do this anyway but I wanted your thoughts on it - I was going to contact the resort myself and give the contract number of the timeshare to get details straight from the horse's mouth. I'm just not sure if the company is willing to give a stranger the contract's details. Any thoughts on how to approach this?

Thanks again for your input!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you a stranger or are you the buyer? You should obtain all the contract details since your name is on the contract. It won't hurt to do as much digging as possible; after all it is your hard earned money on the line!

Best of luck!

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would call the resort and Grand Pacific. Clarify the information on the estoppel.

I’ve seen lots of errors on estoppel letters. Most of the time they went in my favor as the buyer.

I lost out on a bunch of Hyatt CUP points that went to LCUP and I lost because I couldn’t use them. I didn’t even know I had them until I looked in my account one day and they were there. They were not listed in the estoppel.

Tracyyy3

Reaction score
Why do people still buy these sh** run down resorts? It blows my mind, you can stay at Monarch Beach( just right up the road) for 3 nights whenever you want for nearly the price of the maintenance fees at San Clemente Inn. Make it make sense :)

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Why do people still buy these sh** run down resorts? It blows my mind, you can stay at Monarch Beach( just right up the road) for 3 nights whenever you want for nearly the price of the maintenance fees at San Clemente Inn. Make it make sense :)
Presumably because they can stay for a week for the MFs, so you know, it's like more than twice the time for the same money. Now, whether you should want to stay in that specific resort, I have no idea.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stayed at many SoCal timeshare resorts, but I've avoided this one.
Wait for one of the other Grand Pacific Resorts to appear on the Give Away list.
There are 3 in Carlsbad that have more going for them.

oceanblue2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Eagle's Nest/Marco Beach, Fl
DRI
I would visit the resort before you get past the point of no return, if you aren't already. The location if very close to interstate 5 so a lot of the units won't have much in the way of peace and quiet. Parking at the beach in San Clemente can be a pain. Walking to the beach is downhill but coming back up is something of a drag!

I lived just up the road from San Clemente for years and have driven past this resort many times. I would not be inclined to stay there.

laugh_a_little

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an owner at SCI. love the heated outdoor pool, the clean gas bbqs, the billiard table, foosball, pickleball, drinks and food service at pool from restaurant. Nice people, clean rooms, perhaps dated but I find charming. Also, trades
really well; we’ve been to Cayman Islands, Florida, New Orleans, but mostly Hawaii.
Love the friendly day use!