• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

Tens of thousands of subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sales pitch to add MAX to our resale purchase

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
We currently own 33,600 resale points at Las Vegas Blvd and just attended a presentation at the Elara. Much to my surprise they made us an offer to buy an extra deed of 3,520 points ey with $733 extra MF's and to allow all of our resale points for use in MAX. The cost is $26,990. We are late 60's and early 70's and felt that our travel would become less and not more and that we could be happy travelling to the existing HGVC resorts, so expanding into the plethora of extra MAX resorts around the world was not something we had considered. Plus we have become very good at getting exactly the dates we want booking 9 months out. But this offer is interesting and I just wanted to throw it out to the group and ask for advice.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
$27k for 3,520 points.... That speaks for itself

For comparison, that is about what we have paid for about 100k points and we have access to the DRI/HVC/Embarc properties further out than the Max 6 months so, not a very good deal in my opinion.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
3,520 points ... for use in MAX ... cost is $26,990. We are late 60's and early 70's ... this offer is interesting
o_O It never ends. What causes this? A lifetime of watching info-mercials? May you live in "interesting" times, I guess.
Fundamentally, I don't understand how TS salesppl can make a living, until the next time I read something like that, and then BAM!!!!!!!!!

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
We are late 60's and early 70's and felt that our travel would become less and not more and that we could be happy travelling to the existing HGVC resorts, so expanding into the plethora of extra MAX resorts around the world was not something we had considered.
It sounds to me that you have already answered with a hard NO.

Plus we have become very good at getting exactly the dates we want booking 9 months out.
It also sounds like the Legacy HGVC system is working well for you.

If you want access to more properties and more points then I would suggest that you spend ~$3000 on a 1BR Craig (MF $837; 7680 pts). This will give you access to DEX (much better than Max).

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why does anyone needs to spend more hard earned money to access more resorts ?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
We currently own 33,600 resale points at Las Vegas Blvd and just attended a presentation at the Elara. Much to my surprise they made us an offer to buy an extra deed of 3,520 points ey with $733 extra MF's and to allow all of our resale points for use in MAX. The cost is $26,990. We are late 60's and early 70's and felt that our travel would become less and not more and that we could be happy travelling to the existing HGVC resorts, so expanding into the plethora of extra MAX resorts around the world was not something we had considered. Plus we have become very good at getting exactly the dates we want booking 9 months out. But this offer is interesting and I just wanted to throw it out to the group and ask for advice.
Why this caught me off guard is that I was under the impression that re-sale was blocked from joining MAX, so we went in quite unprepared to being offered to join at any price. I have never even bothered to look at the former Diamond resorts as we had the decision made for us that we were persona non grata. So yes my question was valid to ask if there is a benefit to having access to MAX at any price. I know when they started selling that a figure of $7500 was initially going to be offered to us low lifes but that the offer was withdrawn.

T5travels

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas Boulevard
You already received a lot of feedback on this, but I want to point out that (big surprise) the salesperson may be mistaken in that ALL your resale points would join MAX if you made the new retail purchase.

We did the same owner update as you at Elara a few weeks ago and our salesperson suggested an option for us to pay $25k to "legitimize" our recently acquired 11,200 resale deed at Boulevard and then have 11,200 MAX eligible points. After we said no, he cautioned us if we were ever back at an update with another salesperson and they tried to get us into MAX with a new small deed for $10k-$15k then ONLY those points would be MAX property eligible. Sounds like this is what you were offerred, but the only difference may be that $26,990 may be their full desired retail price per point (not sure if that changes what they can give you as far as MAX).

So I don't know which of our salespersons are correct, or if the truth lies somewhere in the middle - but good luck with whatever you decide.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a resale at HGVC Parc Soleil in Orlando and when the points showed up in my account all of a sudden I was HGVMax. I own retail at The District.

T5travels

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas Boulevard
Why this caught me off guard is that I was under the impression that re-sale was blocked from joining MAX, so we went in quite unprepared to being offered to join at any price. I have never even bothered to look at the former Diamond resorts as we had the decision made for us that we were persona non grata. So yes my question was valid to ask if there is a benefit to having access to MAX at any price. I know when they started selling that a figure of $7500 was initially going to be offered to us low lifes but that the offer was withdrawn.
There are a few benefits that I felt were worth exploring MAX to some degree. More properties, No booking fees, free guest certificate, free cancellation window, 2 day minimum stay for points, longer open season booking window (some of these may depend on the property, and I don't have direct access to MAX to know for sure). Cons are you will likely end up with a less-optimal MF/Point ratio and the dues are almost $100 more per year, so depending on how far out you plan and whether its lots of short trips vs. fewer long stays factors into the value equation. Very tough sell for me though at the prices they seem to be asking.