• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Car Codes Anyone?

rmb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any special codes for car rentals ... specifically for the Big Island and Mauai in July? I used one last year from a Tugger and it worked out with a nice savings.

starlifter

TUG Member
Reaction score

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Does anyone have any special codes for car rentals ... specifically for the Big Island and Mauai in July? I used one last year from a Tugger and it worked out with a nice savings.

So far, the best combination I've been able to find is at Alamo via the Costco company code and the "One Free Day" coupon from the Entertainment book. I booked a minivan and an SUV (2 cars because we have 2 families in our party) for 8 days. The Costco code is nice because it includes one additional driver. Otherwise they charge $8-12/day for this. I'm going to keep looking to see if I can beat this price, because it's significantly higher than what I've paid in the past, but this is the best deal to date:

Vehicle Type: Minivan - 7 Passenger/Automatic/Air
Base Rate - Minivan (USD)
(1) Week Rate ($312.63/week) $312.63
(1) Day Rate ($52.10/day) $52.10

Contract I.D. 675899
Guaranteed Base Rate Included
(1) Additional Driver Included
Unlimited Miles Included

Subtotal.............................................$364.73
Discounts Entertainment Book 2008 ($44.66)
Taxes, Surcharges and Fees....................$69.42
Estimated Total......................................$389.49

We also booked an SUV:

Base Rate - Midsize SUV (USD)
(1) Week Rate ($295.73/week) $295.73
(1) Day Rate ($49.29/day) $49.29

Subtotal.............................................$345.02
Discounts - Entertainment Book 2008 ($42.25)
Taxes, Surcharges and Fees...................$65.71

Estimated Total......................................$368.48

Costco code can be found on their website under Travel/Rental Cars.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Do you belong to II or AAA? I normally compare Avis/Budget,AAA & Hertz. Marriott also has a code but I cannot find it now.

Prices on the average per Budget Travel Magazine fluctuate 7 times a day. I compare ,reserve then recheck for a lower rate at which point I can modify an existing reservation.

Hertz Interval Code CDP 81957 no PC code unless you are renting green series.

http://www.rentalcarmomma.com/

rmb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and tried priceline last evening and was able to secure a SUV (Explorer or Hummer3) on the Big Island for a week for the following:

Total Charges: $308.20
Lowest Published Price: $439.99
Total Savings:* $131.79 (You saved 30%)

That comes to about $33 per day (National Rental Car).... I think that is very good and we maybe got lucky. Now, I'll try Maui (our 2nd island) and hope I can get a similar price.

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
I am done with Alamo on Maui - we have had nothing but trouble with their cars.

I just re-booked our minivan rental for Maui for this May. Dollar has a base rate of $177 per week for an intermediate minivan - dodge caravan - 2 weeks including all taxes come to $447. Must pay with American Express. Code AX07.

http://www.dollar.com/Specials/Partners/AX07.aspx

rmb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fletch... I just tried your code on that link... unfortunately, it won't take it on Maui for July yet. I'll try again later.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you tried Priceline? Our first trips to the islands (2001, 2002, 2004) we were paying about 300-350 for a week for a full size car, using coupon codes. The last time we went - summer 2006-- we got a full size at Kona airport and Lihue aiport using Priceline. I think we paid (with taxes) about 250 at Kona and under 220 at Lihue.

Priceline seems to use Hertz, Avis and National alot, so you are getting a big company. You give up the FF perks, but the savings of 80-100 dollars is worth it. You can have 2 nice dinners with the savings! :banana:

Norma :)

PS--now that I read the whole thread I see you were successful with Priceline. Way to go!

Last edited:

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
RMB - looks like that special is only good through the end of May :bawl:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
The last two times I've gone, I was able to find a decent SUV rate ($238 for 1 week) when National put their SUVs on sale. The code was listed on their website under "Hot deals." Of course I was traveling off season. This year I'm bringing the kids and oh, boy, does it add to the cost of vacation to travel in July.

Never again.

rmb

TUG Member
Reaction score
End result for July rentals (No codes used):

Big Island via priceline (named my own price) - Full size SUV $308 taxes and fees included ($34 daily)

Mauai via hotwire - Intermediate SUV for $260 taxes and fees included ($29.95 daily)

islandguy

Reaction score
Just got an Alamo car for 2 weeks in Feb for $285 total with all the fees and taxes (mid size car) using COSTCO number and a coupon.