• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Bonus Week Certificates

dbc

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I searched this site and was surprised that I didn't see anything related to this topic. I am a newbie and bought from a developer, RVC (OK I know I paid too much and got too little), but one thing that I got was some RCI Bonus Week Certificates. I feared at the time that these might not be worth much, but the representative assurred me that they were easy to use just by calling and telling the phone rep what I wanted. In fact he said that just because they list the places that they were good for on the back they could be used at most any RCI resort. He did caustion me that Hawaii or Palm Springs in the winter might not be available.

Well, as suspected the couple of times that I have tried to use these hasn't worked. I tried it within a few weeks of a trip planned to Vegas in February (I really didn't expect that to work), but I tried again today asking for any time during the first couple of weeks in October for Palm Springs and got the same answer. (I know for a fact Palm Springs is DEAD the first couple of weeks of October, because they rip up all the golf courses). I was told that I should wait until closer to the time that I wanted to go as these are based on availability of owners not using weeks.

My QUestion, has anyone been able to use these types of certificates or should I follow my instincts and recycle them with the newspapers? I don't mean to be a skeptic, but if you could give us some guidelines or tips on using these I am sure others would appreciate them.

nordicdiva

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have three years of bonus weeks. We passed on the first year since nothing looked attractive.

This year we're going to try for something close to home so we can drive and not be dependent on air travel. If we get it, we get it. If we don't we don't.
That's about how much I value those restricted bonus weeks.

ttt

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are different types of bonus weeks, some cost more then others to use. Many times, it is just as cheap to use an RCI extra Vacation or Last Call or whatever they are calling their excess inventory nowadays.

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
HI, we too received two bonus weeks a year from the developer. The problem is they can only be redeemed 45 days out. This may very well be the problem you are having, trying to book out too early. I have successfully used two of these bonus weeks. One was for a resort in season, and the other was for a reort in the off season. We had good luck both times. I do believe that at 45 days out, the inventory is mostly off season. Good luck, Sue

travelhound

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We found the selection on bonus weeks poor, but managed to have unexpectedly great vacations with them. We used them in Europe off season (Spain and Scotland).

KTaylor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bonus Weeks....

DBC,

We also are alotted Bonus Weeks each year. 6 of them!! We have enjoyed some fantastic vacations as well as a few disappointments with availability.

The key for us is to be persistant. If you aren't happy with what is available today, check tomorrow, and the next day. Inventory changes daily. Persistance beats Resistence.

Back on March 3rd, I was searching for some family members. I noticed a houseboat was available for this week we are in right now. Next week 1 couple had availability for 2 consecutive weeks in Masanutten while the other went to the Dom. Rep. Everyone could have met back in Orlando for a big 3 Bedroom unit at Orange Lake CC. This was a 4 week trip which included 6 total weeks.

In my opinion, they are more valuable on your desk than in the trash; especially with the cost of "Last Call" rising.

Kirk

PS...if you still don't want them, we can check with RCI about transferring them into my account. :)

Deer Path

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI Bonus Weeks

We have used ours several times. They only cost us $149 to use in whatever is available on anything that is listed about $500 or less. Even if you only use 3 nights it is a deal. Last Oct. we went to Lake of the Ozarks to the Holiday Shores Resort. They are all 3 BR so we enjoyed that for several nights and had a great time. We took our pontoon and was able to put it in right there.

The year before we went to Branson and just a few months ago we got a 2BR in Branson for 4 nights when we had to deliver a car to Clinton, MO.

Just last week our daughter used one of theirs to book a 2 BR in Puerto Vallarta for the first week in May.

So do not throw them....keep checking and you might come up with something interesting one day.

Judy

slabeaume

Reaction score
I used one for Orlando (Orange Lake Resort--beautiful). I don't think you'ld have a problem using it in places such as Orlando or many of the midwest resorts. I wish I had more bonus vacations to use!

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
dbc,

Bonus Weeks access inventory that historically goes unused with RCI. Searching the lower priced Extra Vacations may indeed be a helpful tool to show you where some of that space is located and for what times.

As many experienced Tuggers have shared, there are some great vacations to be had for a very small fee. It just takes a bit of strategy.

dbc

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Madge and TUG

Just a follow up to say THANKS for all the help and hints for using RCI Bonus Week Certificates. I would have probably given up, if I hadn't asked the question and received all the good feedback. We just got back from a week at a beautiful TS in Indian Wells - sure it was the off-season and HOT, but this was still a great value. :D I will have a review posted soon.

Last edited:

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
dbc,

That's terrific! I'm glad you were able to confirm and use a vacation so economically!

I once spoke with a gentleman who was attending a wedding not far from Williamsburg, Virginia in late October. He used his bonus week to confirm one of the few 4-bedroom units that are deposited from Sunterra Powhatan Plantation (1046). He took his whole family and was very excited to be able to do that with his bonus week!