• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions regarding Mai Khao Beach Resort (or Phuket Beach Club)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
The time is soon approaching when we'll be at Marriott's Mai Khao Beach Resort so I'm now focusing on some of the finer details (some questions may seem a bit nit picky but I'm a bit of a stickler for preparation!)

Does anyone know if the kitchens have Nespresso machines as they do in Europe or is it filter coffee only (or something else)?

Was there anything missing in the kitchen that would have been handy to have (utensil wise)?

I understand that grocery shops are in short supply due to the location and the nearest one at Turtle Village is small and expensive. Is there an alternative close by with a wider choice and better prices? I'm not driving so a stock up via taxi would be the obvious choice.

We've requested an upgrade to a plunge pool villa but have been advised to make the request when checking in. Has anyone been succesful with this and if so, can you recall what the additional cost was?

Any opinions on the restaurants around the resort and JW area and in particular, good authentic Thai (although one which will tame down the chilli on request. I recall an occasion when I was first in Thailand and ordered an ambiguous Chicken Curry, it was the most fiercest thing I've ever attempted to eat!).

Any recommended trips that don't involve riding elephants or any form of animal 'entertainment'. I've been looking at some suggestions, such as James Bond island etc but they all seem massively overcrowded.

Thanks in advance!

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The time is soon approaching when we'll be at Marriott's Mai Khao Beach Resort so I'm now focusing on some of the finer details (some questions may seem a bit nit picky but I'm a bit of a stickler for preparation!)

Does anyone know if the kitchens have Nespresso machines as they do in Europe or is it filter coffee only (or something else)?

Was there anything missing in the kitchen that would have been handy to have (utensil wise)?

I understand that grocery shops are in short supply due to the location and the nearest one at Turtle Village is small and expensive. Is there an alternative close by with a wider choice and better prices? I'm not driving so a stock up via taxi would be the obvious choice.

We've requested an upgrade to a plunge pool villa but have been advised to make the request when checking in. Has anyone been succesful with this and if so, can you recall what the additional cost was?

Any opinions on the restaurants around the resort and JW area and in particular, good authentic Thai (although one which will tame down the chilli on request. I recall an occasion when I was first in Thailand and ordered an ambiguous Chicken Curry, it was the most fiercest thing I've ever attempted to eat!).

Any recommended trips that don't involve riding elephants or any form of animal 'entertainment'. I've been looking at some suggestions, such as James Bond island etc but they all seem massively overcrowded.

Thanks in advance!
A few answers to get the ball rolling

No, the resort does not have nespresso machines unfortunately, only filter coffee machines.
They did have an Australian one for a while, but the capsules were incompatible and crazy expensive on site.
Believe it or not, we bring our own mini espresso machine!

For grocery shopping, there are a few local choices now since Turtle Village 2 and Mai Khao Plaza opened, including a 7 Eleven.
This has introduced competition, so the original Turtle Mart now expanded has more reasonable pricing.
However, as we stay for an extended period, we do online shopping with delivery to our unit from
https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB
and
https://www.tops.co.th/en/
Between them, they offer local products along with a wide range of Tesco / Waitrose products if you want UK options.

As for the plunge pool upgrade, how have you made your booking?
With Points it can be quite an increase depending on when exactly you are going.
We have stayed in a ground floor plunge pool villa and it is a good option, we would be happy though with highest floor possible for views out over the trees.

Good local restaurants include JJs, KinDee and Yenjai.
They will all turn the spicieness up or down to suit your tastes.
There are also several places in the nearby (walkable)shopping villages, including the Coffee Club which does good meals.
Don’t forget too, you will get up to 20% off at all MVC / Marriott / Renaissance restaurants with Bonvoy elite discounts.

As for trips out, there are now ethical Elephant Sanctuaries in Phuket, where they are looked after well in their natural environment with no riding, swimming...etc with them, e.g.
https://www.phuketelephantsanctuary.org/en/
I thoroughly recommend at least one sea trip too, whether to Similan Islands, Phang Nga Bay (even James Bond island), Krabi, Phi Phi.
If you use a company like
https://www.simbaseatrips.com/
they are excellent, use small quality boats with fewer passengers and time arrivals to miss most of the crowds who arrive later.
They book up quickly, so if you are coming in peak season you might even want to consider booking before you leave the UK.

Enjoy it, we always do

F414D1B8-C016-4831-BAD2-CBC7DCF7FE4D.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also did delivery from Tesco Lotus, was something like $1 delivery fee! The website had a ton of options, but, in the end, they did good and the food arrived appropriately (cooled, etc.) But, Turtle Village was not really high price. We went there several times as well. I think turtle used to be more.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also did delivery from Tesco Lotus, was something like $1 delivery fee! The website had a ton of options, but, in the end, they did good and the food arrived appropriately (cooled, etc.) But, Turtle Village was not really high price. We went there several times as well. I think turtle used to be more.
Yes, and they regularly have discount codes, either on the website or via their newsletter which can easily save you the delivery charge plus a whole lot more.
One thing for anyone visiting to note though, if you are ordering alcohol you have to choose a delivery
slot between 11.00-14.00 and 17.00-24.00 to conform to Thai laws.

25B5007C-F8F3-4161-A28A-FC15104B20A2.png

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the replies. Tesco Lotus delivery looks like the best option although I'll give the pork uterus a miss!

Thanks also Barry for reminding me about the alcohol purchasing times. Not quite sure what the government were trying to achieve there but hey ho, it's their country, their laws.

The bookings were made with II Getaways, any upgrade cost would be paid with cash so we'll wait and see what the options are when we get there. I was recently looking at mini Nespresso machines, which one do you have and does it work with a simple plug adaptor?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Tesco Lotus delivery looks like the best option although I'll give the pork uterus a miss!

Thanks also Barry for reminding me about the alcohol purchasing times. Not quite sure what the government were trying to achieve there but hey ho, it's their country, their laws.

The bookings were made with II Getaways, any upgrade cost would be paid with cash so we'll wait and see what the options are when we get there. I was recently looking at mini Nespresso machines, which one do you have and does it work with a simple plug adaptor?
This is the one we have, although there may be newer or other versions now?
https://www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-essenza-mini-coffee-machine-by-krups/black/p3188228
It does work just with an international 2 pin adaptor, the resort is likely to have a limited number of these available if necessary.
I am not familiar with cash upgrades for Interval Getaway reservations.
If you have contacted the resort directly with your request that is probably the best option, I can check how they normally deal with upgrade requests if you would like?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Barry, I've been looking on the Nespresso site and they offer the Essenza machine for £1 when a subscription is taken. I currently spend more than the subscription cost anyway so it would save me the cost price of £90. If there's one thing I'm not short of it's adaptors! It seems like every year I buy more and then find a whole stash of them at the bottom of a drawer.

We have contacted the resort directly regarding the upgrade, we'll just wait and see what they say when we arrive, it's not a big deal, just a nice little extra however a sea view is an attractive alternative.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Barry, I've been looking on the Nespresso site and they offer the Essenza machine for £1 when a subscription is taken. I currently spend more than the subscription cost anyway so it would save me the cost price of £90. If there's one thing I'm not short of it's adaptors! It seems like every year I buy more and then find a whole stash of them at the bottom of a drawer.

We have contacted the resort directly regarding the upgrade, we'll just wait and see what they say when we arrive, it's not a big deal, just a nice little extra however a sea view is an attractive alternative.
Yes, I see that Essenza offer now. It seems like quite some deal for regular coffee buyers.
Even on the top floor at Mai Khao Beach resort there is just a glimmer of a sea view over the trees, although it is a beautiful landscape view. So if the plunge pool appeals more to you, it is probably best to focus on that for your request.

dima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding restaurants I would suggest to go to Nai Yang Beach and try Phen's restaurant. We find it as a better choice even with the price for taxi.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding restaurants I would suggest to go to Nai Yang Beach and try Phen's restaurant. We find it as a better choice even with the price for taxi.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
Yes, Phen’s is a good choice in Nai Yang.
We used to like Batik until the authorities made many of the beach front restaurants close down or relocate.
Rotcharin is also good there.
As you say, you do need a taxi, unless you rent a car, fare approx THB 1200 return
A48934D3-2A69-4868-99D9-6098969CF280.jpeg