• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pulse at Custom House, Boston fall availability in Sept-Oct?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've always wanted to check out Boston/New England especially during the changing of the seasons in the fall (Sept-Oct?), so I did a little browsing this past weekend.

Recently (this week), I saw some a small handful of 2023 Sept and Oct weeks available for instant exchange through II (using our Marriott Platinum 2BD). However, when I logged onto MVC and tried booking anything (one night up through seven nights) using our Club Points, I do not see any availability in 2022 or 2023 Sept or Oct.

Does any one have experience booking into the Custom House in Sept/Oct timeframe and explain what my chances are of getting a few nights there using Club Points and weeks ? My preference is using Club Points because we would only like to stay only 4-5 nights, not an entire 7 nights.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience is that booking Custom House in Sep/Oct using DPs is quite difficult - at least if your stay includes a weekend. Because Custom House is an RTU and so can't be in the DP trust, availability is scarce. It's never there at 13 months (I assume because of the ownership structure) and some years I've succeeded at 9AM at 12 months and others no. Occasionally I see availability 'pop up' in the 11th month as people elect into DPs.

All in all, I would grab the week.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience is that booking Custom House in Sep/Oct using DPs is quite difficult - at least if your stay includes a weekend. Because Custom House is an RTU and so can't be in the DP trust, availability is scarce. It's never there at 13 months (I assume because of the ownership structure) and some years I've succeeded at 9AM at 12 months and others no. Occasionally I see availability 'pop up' in the 11th month as people elect into DPs.

All in all, I would grab the week.
Interesting, I didn't realize we had RTU Marriott’s in the US! We aren't ready to visit yet, just planning for post-2024. But if we wanted just 3 nights, hard to justify exchanging a 7 night Plat 2BD, guess we can look into other alternative accommodations if it comes to that.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I have had success booking 2 or 3 nights (Fri-Sat, or Fri-Sun) in Sept, booking 12 months out. In fact, I just looked and there are a couple weekends you can book 2 nights (Fri-Sat) right now for Sept 2023. I will admit, the availability is spotty, and you have to book far out to snag them.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
We've always wanted to check out Boston/New England especially during the changing of the seasons in the fall (Sept-Oct?), so I did a little browsing this past weekend.

Recently (this week), I saw some a small handful of 2023 Sept and Oct weeks available for instant exchange through II (using our Marriott Platinum 2BD). However, when I logged onto MVC and tried booking anything (one night up through seven nights) using our Club Points, I do not see any availability in 2022 or 2023 Sept or Oct.

Does any one have experience booking into the Custom House in Sept/Oct timeframe and explain what my chances are of getting a few nights there using Club Points and weeks ? My preference is using Club Points because we would only like to stay only 4-5 nights, not an entire 7 nights.
I looked at the Custom House for early November with no luck. However, when I went to the Marriott website to book a room at the Custom Hose, there was availability.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at the Custom House for early November with no luck. However, when I went to the Marriott website to book a room at the Custom Hose, there was availability.
Where is the inventory on Marriott.com coming from? In the past, I thought these were coming from deeded owners turning in their weeks for travel packages, but that's no longer an option. When deeded owners elect points, that inventory goes to into the Club, when deeded owners give a week to II that week shows up in II. What other inventory is there to fill Marriott.com, especially something further out than say one or two months?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had success booking 2 or 3 nights (Fri-Sat, or Fri-Sun) in Sept, booking 12 months out. In fact, I just looked and there are a couple weekends you can book 2 nights (Fri-Sat) right now for Sept 2023. I will admit, the availability is spotty, and you have to book far out to snag them.
Yes, I just logged on and see the 2023 Sept now, was not there over the past weekend when I checked. I also see a few nights at the end of July as well, again was not there this past weekend. I guess inventory is very dynamic, at lesser with the Custom House

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is the inventory on Marriott.com coming from? In the past, I thought these were coming from deeded owners turning in their weeks for travel packages, but that's no longer an option. When deeded owners elect points, that inventory goes to into the Club, when deeded owners give a week to II that week shows up in II. What other inventory is there to fill Marriott.com, especially something further out than say one or two months?
People still trade their weeks in for Bonvoy points.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
We own at Custom House and are here now. I think your best option would be to watch rentals on Redweek. Keep in mind that there are only 84 units at Custom House and lots of owners use their units. However, you might find an owner's rental posting on Redweek from an owner who cannot use their reservation.

I suspect the odds are against finding a Custom House in the Trust inventory to fill a points reservation. First the number of units, then the chance of the right week being deposited, and I don't think the Trust "owns" any Custom House units (they are not owned but are a long-term lease).

Another thought, there is a sales desk in the lobby, and they are promoting 4-day, 3-night sales promo stays. They are inexpensive at $399 but you would have a sales presentation. This might be perfect. Call the front desk and ask to speak with Irene at the desk in the Lobby.

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
People still trade their weeks in for Bonvoy points.
Aahhh, I forgot about that group .
Has the value of Bonvoy points finally turned for the better so that's it is worth trading in a week vs depositing thru II or elective Club Points?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Has the value of Bonvoy points finally turned for the better so that's it is worth trading in a week vs depositing thru II or elective Club Points?

IMHO, nope

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Not even close.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't realize we had RTU Marriott’s in the US!...
I would guess that the City of Boston still owns the building and the land under it...but don't know for sure.
But if we wanted just 3 nights...
At 5 nights I think it's worth trading the week, but at 3 nights I agree that you should pursue other options. Keep trying for DP reservations, cash through Marriott.com, or owner rentals on Redweek.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Also, keep in mind the election deadline to convert 2023 weeks to points is not yet here. So Sept/Oct 2023 availability can be fluid for a couple more months. Best to look daily.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on your week. I have one that I can elect for 1700 DPs or trade into 100,000 Bonvoy points.

Since around May-ish as cash prices have skyrocketed, I'm up to a little over 1.2 cents per Bonvoy point on my redemptions. $1,200 is worth more than 1700 DPs to me in normal times, with COVID having delayed travel I don't anticipate being able to stop banking points until 2025. So yeah, I traded that week into Bonvoy points in 2022 and will almost certainly do so again in 2024 (I can trade into Bonvoy every other year).

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
It depends on your week. I have one that I can elect for 1700 DPs or trade into 100,000 Bonvoy points.

Since around May-ish as cash prices have skyrocketed, I'm up to a little over 1.2 cents per Bonvoy point on my redemptions. $1,200 is worth more than 1700 DPs to me in normal times, with COVID having delayed travel I don't anticipate being able to stop banking points until 2025. So yeah, I traded that week into Bonvoy points in 2022 and will almost certainly do so again in 2024 (I can trade into Bonvoy every other year).
Good point… I should add a “usually” before my “not even close”. ;-)

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I would guess that the City of Boston still owns the building and the land under it...but don't know for sure.At 5 nights I think it's worth trading the week, but at 3 nights I agree that you should pursue other options. Keep trying for DP reservations, cash through Marriott.com, or owner rentals on Redweek.

The Federal Government sold Custom House to the City of Boston, I think in 1987 when they moved out. The City of Boston owned Custom House in 1997 and probably still owns it. It was leased to Marriott for 60 years in 1997. Of course, Marriott had to renovate the building, a large expenditure. The timeshares were sold in 1997 for $18,200 for May to October, and $13,200 for October to May. Annual Maintenance Fees were $651. Custom House timeshare interests are sold as a right to use (RTU) rather than owned - a lease.

There was an article in the Boston Globe about it in 1997. The director of the project, a Mr. DiGiulio, said "We hope to open five more, in New York, New Orleans, San Francisco, London, and Paris, and possibly another in Boston." So, there's the beginning of the Pulse properties.

Incidentally, Disney was interested in the property and passed on it.

This is my favorite timeshare of all we own. It is an entirely different experience.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
This is my favorite timeshare of all we own. It is an entirely different experience.
Agreed. It’s what the Pulse sub-brand standards should have been vs hotel type rooms in some/many/most Pulses.

And the location is second to none.

Reactions: jme

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agreed. It’s what the Pulse sub-brand standards should have been vs hotel type rooms in some/many/most Pulses.

And the location is second to none.
I agree. I would prefer removal of the Pulse name entirely on this property, just leave it alone as "The Custom House." The other Pulse properties are not in the same league as The Custom House.

Last edited:

PeteBob

Reaction score
On every visit to a MVC, other than the Customs House, I strongly recommend the Custom House to any guests I chat with. It is the #1 property in my opinion.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
For what it's worth, we recently booked 10 nights for next August at Custom House, using elected banked points. Perhaps we were just lucky that it was available when we searched?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, we recently booked 10 nights for next August at Custom House, using elected banked points. Perhaps we were just lucky that it was available when we searched?
How far in advance did you search, and did availability just show up one day after previously searching and not finding any openings?

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
We searched on August 27 (so 11 1/2 months in advance) and we immediately found an opening!