• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Portfolio hybrid questions

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We did the online presentation today and were told 2 things we did not know about hybrid ownership. We currently own 3 Hyatts totaling 6000 pts. If we purchased 650 portfolio points we would supposedly be top tier and get a 30% discount on all transactions if we every Jan transferred our 3 weeks into Portfolio. Is that accurate? The other point I'm not sure of is that a hybrid owner would see all inventory portfolio and club inventory even if we converted club to portfolio in Jan. They swore up and down this was accurate but I'm skeptical. We mainly use our weeks for Maui which is not in Portfolio so am skeptical we would see Maui inventory. I've been very anti portfolio but these factors are pause for thought

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We attended an update in Carmel recently and didn’t hear any of that. We have a similar ownership (6,000 points). I’m curious to hear what others have to share. I’m skeptical as well.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Going off what my limited knowledge of the system is, I would think that portfolio and club inventory is certainly separate in HRPP. So unless a club owner who is able to put their weeks into portfolio chooses to do so, you can't book that inventory prior to 6 months from checkin. The only inventory available to a portfolio owner in this situation would be inventory that is in the portfolio trust or inventory that other owners, like you would be, opted to transfer their weeks into portfolio. Other inventory from weeks owners who have either retained their home resort or opted to use their points only in the club are not available for Portfolio reservations unless that inventory is still unreserved at 6 months. As at 6 month the HRPP ends and any available inventory could be booked by either club or portfolio.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From other hybrid owners on the Facebook group these are both lies, even though they told me the video was recorded and reviewed by corporate and it was in the contract. Our sales rep even had her manager come on to verify. It's unbelievable how they lie to your face.

shall5503

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Pinon Points, Hyatt Portfolio Points and MVC Points
We are hybrid owners of several years running. We have 6600 points which places us in the Elite level category. The 30% discount on all transactions is sales person BS. You can save 800 points by not staying a Saturday night (1200 pts. for a 6 night vs. 2000 for a 7 night stay) but definitely no 30% discount. You CAN definitely see club as well as portfolio inventory a year out. I just did quick searches for 5 night and 7 night stays for July 2025 for Carmel and San Antonio and did indeed find both club and portfolio inventory. The latter was much more plentiful but 7 night club weeks were also available. We find this to be a definite advantage as you see inventory much earlier than others. There is little reason not to transfer all your points into the portfolio side unless you want to keep your HRPP week because portfolio points buy you club inventory if its available.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are hybrid owners of several years running. We have 6600 points which places us in the Elite level category. The 30% discount on all transactions is sales person BS. You can save 800 points by not staying a Saturday night (1200 pts. for a 6 night vs. 2000 for a 7 night stay) but definitely no 30% discount. You CAN definitely see club as well as portfolio inventory a year out. I just did quick searches for 5 night and 7 night stays for July 2025 for Carmel and San Antonio and did indeed find both club and portfolio inventory. The latter was much more plentiful but 7 night club weeks were also available. We find this to be a definite advantage as you see inventory much earlier than others. There is little reason not to transfer all your points into the portfolio side unless you want to keep your HRPP week because portfolio points buy you club inventory if its available.
Thank you. That is super helpful as I was beginning to think it was 2 lies but it was 1. If you have a good product to sell sales would do better to keep integrity and respect. It would getting them further

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you. That is super helpful as I was beginning to think it was 2 lies but it was 1. If you have a good product to sell sales would do better to keep integrity and respect. It would getting them further
I think something to understand is that while one can see Club inventory, it isn't the entire set of Club inventory. It would only be Club inventory that a Club owner has transferred over to Portfolio. Thus why it is more limited as reported by @shall5503

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think something to understand is that while one can see Club inventory, it isn't the entire set of Club inventory. It would only be Club inventory that a Club owner has transferred over to Portfolio. Thus why it is more limited as reported by @shall5503
That makes it 2 lies then! For folks that travel primarily to non portfolio resorts that makes portfolio worthless

shall5503

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Pinon Points, Hyatt Portfolio Points and MVC Points
When you transfer your deeded week to Portfolio, it is now becomes a portfolio listing ( what Hyatt/ Marriott wants to happen.) It is no longer listed as club inventory. The reason only a few club inventory weeks show now is that I did a search for July 2025 and legacy owners have just now received their points and few have relinquished their weeks to trade elsewhere. They have 6 months to decide whether to use their HRPP before the decision is made for them. When I do a search for 8 months out a few more club inventory weeks are listed, as some people have made the decision to relinquish their week. A search at 6 months out shows a dramatic upsurge in club inventory as everything that is going to be available is now on the table. It's the period from 12 months out to 6months out where portfolio owners have the advantage over legacy deeded week owners. I agree with @Tucsonadventurer that the company shoots itself in the foot by allowing sleezeball sales tactics to achieve short term gains, while long term they degrade the entire industry. If integrity and respect were foundational principles, the industry would continue to grow. This may not occur as quickly as investors would wish, but at least you would still have a viable industry. Once it becomes apparent one could trust what they are told, others will join in. As it is, it's like you say: Are you telling me one lie or two?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
When you transfer your deeded week to Portfolio, it is now becomes a portfolio listing ( what Hyatt/ Marriott wants to happen.) It is no longer listed as club inventory. The reason only a few club inventory weeks show now is that I did a search for July 2025 and legacy owners have just now received their points and few have relinquished their weeks to trade elsewhere. They have 6 months to decide whether to use their HRPP before the decision is made for them. When I do a search for 8 months out a few more club inventory weeks are listed, as some people have made the decision to relinquish their week. A search at 6 months out shows a dramatic upsurge in club inventory as everything that is going to be available is now on the table. It's the period from 12 months out to 6months out where portfolio owners have the advantage over legacy deeded week owners. I agree with @Tucsonadventurer that the company shoots itself in the foot by allowing sleezeball sales tactics to achieve short term gains, while long term they degrade the entire industry. If integrity and respect were foundational principles, the industry would continue to grow. This may not occur as quickly as investors would wish, but at least you would still have a viable industry. Once it becomes apparent one could trust what they are told, others will join in. As it is, it's like you say: Are you telling me one lie or two?
Can a Club owner relinquish their week for points and book other Club inventory that has also been relinquished for a Club reservation? I thought Club reservations could only be made a 6 months? Understanding that, I know that someone could make a 6 month club reservation using points from a week that is 9 months out. Does that 9 month inventory open up to other deeded week owners to use their points or do they have to wait until 6 months to reserve it?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe we could experiment and both check Hyatt Kaanapali 6 months out and compare what we see to test it out. Will you see all the club inventory I see or less

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seeing a Club inventory prior to the 6 month HRPP expiration period could also be a legacy week (non-portfolio) owner that has elected to convert their deeded week to CUP points to exchange into another Hyatt resort property.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Seeing a Club inventory prior to the 6 month HRPP expiration period could also be a legacy week (non-portfolio) owner that has elected to convert their deeded week to CUP points to exchange into another Hyatt resort property.
That is kind of what I am asking. Can inventory from an owner that converts their deeded week to CUP points for another Hyatt resort be used to book Club inventory prior to 6 months?

Example;
  • In July 2024, Owner A, makes a reservation for January 2025 using points from their May 2025 week. That May 2025 week is now in Club inventory.
  • Can Owner B make a reservation using CUP points prior to November 2024 reserve that May 2025 week from Club inventory?
  • Or is Club inventory only available to be reserved with CUP points starting at 8 months?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highland Inn
DVC Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
That is kind of what I am asking. Can inventory from an owner that converts their deeded week to CUP points for another Hyatt resort be used to book Club inventory prior to 6 months?

Example;
  • In July 2024, Owner A, makes a reservation for January 2025 using points from their May 2025 week. That May 2025 week is now in Club inventory.
  • Can Owner B make a reservation using CUP points prior to November 2024 reserve that May 2025 week from Club inventory?
  • Or is Club inventory only available to be reserved with CUP points starting at 8 months?

Club inventory can be booked from the time you get usage of your week, which is 12 months ahead.

Example: you own a week with a check in date of Jan 1, 2026. On Jan 1, 2025 you can:
1. Reserve your 2026 week in your owned unit
2. Elect club points and use to book any available club or portfolio inventory
3. Have a waitlist request fill
4. Designate the points to be used in II
5. Do nothing and wait to make a decision

This state persists for 6 months, at which time if you have not yet booked your owned unit, you forfeit option 1 above and your unit is released for club use.

The Hyatt system creates two small peaks of club unit availability at 12 months and 6 months, out with a trickle of new availability in between and a sharp decline after 6 months out.

I feel like when folks discuss the Hyatt system, they over emphasize the availability at 6 months to the extent of giving the impression that internal exchanges are not possible prior to six months. That is absolutely not the case, although it is true that there’s a peak of availability at 6 months.

I am talking about traditional weeks ownership, not portfolio.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

Example;
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: The day a legacy owner is issued their deeded unit week for the next year, they can elect to convert their unit week from HRPP points to CUP points to exchange into any HRC property that has availability. As soon as a HRPP unit week is converted to CUP points, the HRPP unit week immediately becomes available to any HRC or HPP owner.

HRPP (Home Resort Preference Period) is the 6 month window a deeded week owner has the exclusive right to reserve their specific unit week at their home property - no one else has access to the specific unit week when it is in the HRPP. The HRPP period starts the day the week is issued to the owner. If the owner does not reserve their specific unit/week within the 6 month HRPP, the unit/week automatically rolls to CUP. Once in CUP the unit week becomes available to any HRC or HPP owner.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highland Inn
DVC Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: The day a legacy owner is issued their deeded unit week for the next year, they can elect to convert their unit week from HRPP points to CUP points to exchange into any HRC property that has availability. As soon as a HRPP unit week is converted to CUP points, the HRPP unit week immediately becomes available to any HRC or HPP owner.

HRPP (Home Resort Preference Period) is the 6 month window a deeded week owner has the exclusive right to reserve their specific unit week at their home property - no one else has access to the specific unit week when it is in the HRPP. The HRPP period starts the day the week is issued to the owner. If the owner does not reserve their specific unit/week within the 6 month HRPP, the unit/week automatically rolls to CUP. Once in CUP the unit week becomes available to any HRC or HPP owner.

I think the things that are confusing to folks outside of the Hyatt system:
1. At 12 months prior to check in date, you can't book a week/unit unless its owner has released it
2. At 6 months prior to check in date, if the owner does nothing, that week/unit is automatically released

That is taken to mean that you can only book units you don't own at 6 months ahead of the check-in date. While in reality, if you don't intend to use your week/unit, Hyatt incentivizes you to make that decision early, so there are plenty of weeks available from 12 months to 6 months ahead of check in date. I think even most Hyatt owners believe that there's a huge peak of availability at 6 months of ahead of check-in date but I am not convinced this is true.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think even most Hyatt owners believe that there's a huge peak of availability at 6 months of ahead of check-in date but I am not convinced this is true.

Maybe not huge, but i often see availablity pop up at 6 months. I suspect this may be due to, among other things :
1) people who just don't plan ahead well but are not using their week at their resort (last minute panic bookers)
2) people who own and don't know how to use the system and their unit becomes open by default
3) sadly we also know there are older owners who got tricked into buying and dont use their ownership but keep paying the MFs

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the explaination. I always got the impression that people thinking HPP seeing club inventory in addition to HPP was it somehow having some kind of inherent advantage over weeks based owners. But that doesn't seem to be the case based on what has been explained here. HPP seems to have the same access to availability as any other owner in the system.

spec1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the online presentation today and were told 2 things we did not know about hybrid ownership. We currently own 3 Hyatts totaling 6000 pts. If we purchased 650 portfolio points we would supposedly be top tier and get a 30% discount on all transactions if we every Jan transferred our 3 weeks into Portfolio. Is that accurate? The other point I'm not sure of is that a hybrid owner would see all inventory portfolio and club inventory even if we converted club to portfolio in Jan. They swore up and down this was accurate but I'm skeptical. We mainly use our weeks for Maui which is not in Portfolio so am skeptical we would see Maui inventory. I've been very anti portfolio but these factors are pause for thought
The only "discount" that HPC Elite tier has compared to "Classic" is the conversion to World of Hyatt points - Elite is 50 WOH points per HPC point, whereas Classic is 41 WOH points per HPC point. However, both of these are extremely poor value (even the Hyatt sales rep admitted that!).

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explaination. I always got the impression that people thinking HPP seeing club inventory in addition to HPP was it somehow having some kind of inherent advantage over weeks based owners. But that doesn't seem to be the case based on what has been explained here. HPP seems to have the same access to availability as any other owner in the system.

Jeremy - I don't fully understand all the rules because being a legacy owner i only know how legacy works. I plan to never be a portfolio owner, but have read up on it. I think i understand the basics of Marriott points also but you can correct if I misstate anything. I have rented from Marriott points owners before.

But basically, legacy owners have access to legacy weeks that are turned in 6-12 months out. Then at 6 months out legacy inventory becomes available to portfolio. And the opposite is true also for Portfolio owners - they have the 6+ month advantage on portfolio inventory. So when I am looking to book i start seeing portfolio inventory at 6 months out - and I know because online i see if it is legacy or portfolio inventory.

So each side has an advantage for their own system 6+ months out. But with a lot of the legacy weeks showing up at 6 months out because the home week was not booked - with those weeks there is no legacy advantage now.

Similar to Marriott, owners can "qualify/enroll" their week on top of the portfolio points they have to buy to be the points system. It SOUNDS TO ME like once a portfolio user chooses to turn their legacy week that year it is now portfolio inventory. It would make sense they are rigging the advantage to portfolio. I think Marriott is the same - I suspect thats how they get a lot of the points inventory (for qualified/enrolled weeks). I hope a portfolio owner will chime in on that one.

Since you like to know how stuff works, there are subtleties between me booking legacy vs portfolio inventory. There are cleaning fee differences for less than a week. Also, i can only book legacy for the full week (no cleaning fee), or 2 nights midweek, or 4 nights midweek, or 3 nights weekend. The math does not work by every season, but weekends always include a Sat no matter whether it is Fr, Sa or Su checkin and are generally double the points as midweek (like Marriott makes Su-Th half the full weeks points, and Fr/Sa are 2.5 times midweek). The one silver lining is if I book portfolio, Sat night usually works out to be half the points for the week, and i can checkin any day with a 1 night minimum up to a week. So unlike before I can book 3, 5 or 6 nights at the cheaper midweek points value. We have enjoyed booking 5 or 6 nights and using less points with one single reservation.

The original Hyatt legacy system was the best in my opinion. You own a specific week in a specific unit (which matters in a place with a view) that you have first dibs on. Or you could break your week up and use points. Many don't care about that advantage, but I suspect Scoop years ago sold some concurrent weeks in Key West with a view and the owners were thrilled. No location requests needed !

Last edited:

ncaahockeyfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Breckenridge Grand Vacations, Hyatt Residence Club
Similar to Marriott, owners can "qualify/enroll" their week on top of the portfolio points they have to buy to be the points system. It SOUNDS TO ME like once a portfolio user chooses to turn their legacy week that year it is now portfolio inventory. It would make sense they are rigging the advantage to portfolio. I think Marriott is the same - I suspect thats how they get a lot of the points inventory (for qualified/enrolled weeks). I hope a portfolio owner will chime in on that one.

Is depositing your week into HPP a year-by-year election? A hybrid owner could do it one year, but skip the next?

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Is depositing your week into HPP a year-by-year election? A hybrid owner could do it one year, but skip the next?
Yes, that is correct. A hybrid owner decides each year if they want to use their legacy week as they always have or elects to put it in the portfolio program.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. A hybrid owner decides each year if they want to use their legacy week as they always have or elects to put it in the portfolio program.

As a hybrid owner, do you see and book inventory for both HRC and HPP 12 months out even if you elect your week (or all of them)?

And if so, what is the priority of which points are spent first? I would guess HPP points are Jan1 and it uses whatever is oldest ...

ncaahockeyfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Breckenridge Grand Vacations, Hyatt Residence Club
Can you still convert your legacy week(s) into CUP points or only into HPP points?

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you still convert your legacy week(s) into CUP points or only into HPP points?
We were told you could do either. You have the option of depositing your points into portfolio each year, but it’s not mandatory. Then again, who knows what is true that they tell us.