• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please help me give good advise to a young couple with 3 children.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
A younger couple of my acquaintance is thinking of buying DVC points, resale of course. I sent them to TUG as I couldn't tell them much about DVC. Their kids are 6, 4 and 2, 2 boys and 1 girl and the oldest just started school this year. They love staying at Animal Kingdom although they only go to the Disney parks 3 or 4 days at the most out of their week long stays. Also they usually drive not fly to Orlando.

I asked her what she likes about Animal Kingdom Villas; the one bedroom units have two bathrooms and the whirlpool tub. Not exactly a big deal to Wyndham owners who are used to that and having two bedroom units too. To them renting these units is a big step up from when they used to stay in the Disney resort hotels. The only advantage I see for them in staying at a Disney resort is the buses to the Parks and they don't even go to the Parks more than 3-4 days at the very most out of 7. I would like to see them stay at Bonnet Creek in a two bedroom deluxe or better yet a two bedroom presidential just once before they buy anything. I know people who love staying at Bonnet Creek and don't even go to the Disney Parks! Buying Disney tickets for 5 people every time they vacation isn't cheap! Especially when their kids get even a little older and their clothes, shoes, activities, sports, and toys/video games all get more expensive. By the time the kids are pre-teens and teens, like many families they be may taking less expensive vacations with the more expensive vacations happening every other year or two.

They know that their lives are changing and that they will now be trying to work around the kids school schedules and taking their vacations Thanksgiving week, Christmas week, Spring Break week and Summer vacation. Their big reason for buying DVC is so they will be able to get reservations at the Disney resorts during those peak weeks. I don't think they have any idea how packed the Disney Parks are at those times.

I don't know exactly how much they are looking at spending but I believe it is somewhere just under $15k and the $1300 a year mf's. It seems to me that they could continue to rent a week in Disney a one bedroom villa for at least 10 years and not have to pay any mf's. I know that you can't expect Wyndham points to have any resale value but you can pick them up for next to nothing except the closing costs and have the option to go so many more places.
From what I understand DVC has the right of first refusal on any resales so DVC resales don't go cheap like Wyndham points. If they use the points at peak times they could get a full week in a one bedroom or studio and maybe another 3-4 day low season stay in a studio. When their kids get a little older they will need a two bedroom unit and I'm guessing would only get maybe one week a year out of those points.

What do the rest of you think? Do you think like I do that as their kids get older, they and/or their kids are probably going to want to go other places than Disney? Will the shine of Disney wear off in another few years and they will likely find themselves burdened with something they aren't using and regret purchasing? Would they be better off keeping probably about $12-$13k of the $15k in their pockets and buying Wyndham points?

Thanks in advance for any advise and thoughts on this.

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
I personally think that AKV is an amazing resort. We stayed at the resort twice and look back very fondly on those stays. We also stayed at Bonnet Creek and although it's a very nice resort, it's not like staying at Disney. We stayed in a two-bedroom presidential unit, so it's not about the quality of the units, but rather the experience. AKV is totally immersive with the animals on site and the attention to details. We used the buses a couple of times, since we were annual pass holders, we preferred to drive ourselves to the parks.

I can totally understand your friend's desire to be able to go to AKV when they want. Since you mention that they like to drive to Orlando, it's possible that they could also go to the resorts in Vero Beach or even Hilton Head. Disney often uses their right-of-first-refusal to keep the resale prices at a good level, so I'm thinking if they decided to sell that they would probably get most of their purchase price returned. If they have the resources, I personally wouldn't try to talk them out of buying DVC. If we had small children, we'd definitely have some DVC points in our portfolio. Since Wyndham points are so affordable, why not suggest that in addition to some DVC points that they also have some Wyndham points. Just help them learn how to get the most out of their memberships.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
bonnet creek is pretty amazing and you get the whole disney experience with two draw-backs that I noticed:

1: no disney transport (busses)
2: magic bands only work as tickets you cannot link a credit card to purchase stuff with the band. Have to use cash or CC like a normal person...

beyond those two we LOVE bonnet creek. We are doing the whole disney thing this year.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
bonnet creek is pretty amazing and you get the whole disney experience with two draw-backs that I noticed:

2: magic bands only work as tickets you cannot link a credit card to purchase stuff with the band. Have to use cash or CC like a normal person...

beyond those two we LOVE bonnet creek. We are doing the whole disney thing this year.

If they had annual passes and went almost every day to the parks I could understand wanting to stay at the Disney resorts. But they don't do that. I've stayed at Animal Kingdom and Saratoga Springs in the one bedroom Villas and I enjoyed the experience. But having stayed at them I'm more than happy to stay in the two bedroom units at Bonnet Creek, Cypress Palms or Star Island when we go to Orlando. I simply can't imagine spending my vacations in a one bedroom or studio unit with three small but growing children. The phrase "just shoot me now" comes to mind!

I know that some people are Disneyholics and would or do spend every vacation there. But I think that when most people break out of their ruts they look back and wonder why they didn't try something new sooner. If they are the type of people who just have to go, go, go when they are on vacation, maybe DVC is the right thing for them.

I don't think they would buy any Wyndham points if they buy DVC. Like I said if they bought Wyndham points they could still rent stays for Animal Kingdom with the money they saved on not buying DVC.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have both - DVC (at AKV) and Wyndham points. For a first time TS buyer .. I would totally suggest DVC points. Friendlier TS rules ... way better value when they sell ... easier to add on additional points ownership.

Wyndham has too many 'nickle and dime' costs AND rules to use ... they can rent Wyndham stays for less from a Platinum owner than if they own Wyndham.... rent a week and but reserve DVC days before the Bonnet Creek check in.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
We own both Wyndham and DVC. I would not talk them out of resale DVC points at Animal Kingdom. They want peak season, too, so I would suggest owning DVC points. They will need to book right at the 11 month booking window for busy times. They could rent from a Wyndham owner to try Bonnet Creek. If they love it, pick up some resale Wyndham points like we did. I have never been sorry that I own DVC points. Especially with grandkids now. I would like to own another 150 DVC points!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I would tell them to buy what they can afford WITHOUT financing, or to continue renting. Most young families have a tight budget, and it only takes one financial problem and then they can't make their payments.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Background: I'm a Wyndham owner, and a reasonably frequent Disney inbound via RCI. Among my many Orlando stays include peak weeks of Christmas (Bonnet) and Easter (OKW), stays at five different DVC resorts (some more than once) and a half dozen other offsite locations. I've been visiting WDW in private home rentals, offsite timeshares, DVC, or in a pinch Disney hotel rooms for more than a dozen years at this point. My kids were 5 and 3 for our first Disneyland week, and they are now a freshman in college and a high school junior. About half of our vacations have been "Disney" in some form---Disneyland, WDW, DCL, DLRP---and half are not.

I don't think this is an either/or situation. I think it is a both/and one. For some people, the seamless vacation experience that Disney provides has a lot of personal value, even if you are not go-go-go in the parks all the time. There's a range from "would never stay offsite" to "would stay in any high-quality alternative." Bonnet Creek comes closest to approximating the seamless Disney experience, but it is only an approximation. For some people that difference really matters, and most DVC owners are on the "left" of that range, closer to "would never stay offsite." There are a few notable exceptions that mix DVC with something else. The something else is then either (a) used to exchange into DVC when possible, preserving DVC points; (b) used as an alternative home base for Disney to go more often, some onsite and some off; or (c) used as the "non-Disney" vacation option.

Looking back on your questions, and what I might do differently:
What do the rest of you think? Do you think like I do that as their kids get older, they and/or their kids are probably going to want to go other places than Disney? Will the shine of Disney wear off in another few years and they will likely find themselves burdened with something they aren't using and regret purchasing? Would they be better off keeping probably about $12-$13k of the $15k in their pockets and buying Wyndham points?

When we first contemplated buying timeshare, we decided to buy Wyndham (resale) rather than DVC (resale) for three reasons. The DVC price was out of our comfort zone at the time, we weren't sure we cared as much about the onsite/offsite divide and Bonnet looked appealing, and we weren't sure that the kids would want to continue going to WDW as they grew. In hindsight, we ended up finding the onsite experience more compelling than we thought it would be, and while we've skipped a year here or there, we've returned fairly reliably and imagine going back when we are empty nesters. Instead of alternating Disney one year and something else the next, we just take more vacations! However, we never really felt the need to buy in as our means grew, because we lived through what might prove to have been the golden age of RCI DVC exchanges. I think if I were starting my timeshare life over again with young kids in the current exchange landscape, I'd be a lot more tempted to buy into DVC for at last some of my Orlando vacations.

So, if I were in your shoes, I'd be supportive of an AKV purchase, but down the road as they are considering what "other" vacations they might take, that would be the time to mention Wyndham (or another).

As an aside:
They know that their lives are changing and that they will now be trying to work around the kids school schedules and taking their vacations Thanksgiving week, Christmas week, Spring Break week and Summer vacation. Their big reason for buying DVC is so they will be able to get reservations at the Disney resorts during those peak weeks. I don't think they have any idea how packed the Disney Parks are at those times.
Spring break and summer (especially summer) are not peak DVC times. Have them look at this excellent availability post to get an idea, but the prime time for DVC is the last few days of September through the January Marathon weekend.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/ho...been-working-out.3549166/page-2#post-56615436

Edited to add: I second Denise's advice. It's one thing to buy this with cash and still have a buffer on hand. If they are financing, or this is their safety net, the value proposition changes quickly, and they should re-think.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
P.S. I second Denise's advice. I am assuming this couple is paying cash for DVC, has a financial cushion for emergencies, and are contributing to retirement accounts for their future. If they would have to finance, I would tell them to rent DVC points instead. They could always rent from somewhere like David's DVC rentals. We have went through job loss and health issues over the last ten years and I am VERY glad that we had saved/put back money ahead for a rainy day and for retirement.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I would tell them to buy what they can afford WITHOUT financing, or to continue renting. Most young families have a tight budget, and it only takes one financial problem and then they can't make their payments.

AGREE 100%
This is pretty standard advice for any timeshare purchase. Only buy what you can actually afford. This is a luxury purchase, not a necessity. Stick with renting if you can't afford the purchase price outright.

The only advantage I see for them in staying at a Disney resort is the buses to the Parks and they don't even go to the Parks more than 3-4 days at the very most out of 7.
Well, there are other advantages too:
1. They don't have to pay $20/day in parking
2. They have access to Magic Hours
3. Can use Magicband to charge things to their room
4. They have an additional 30 days advantage to booking FastPasses (= 60 days prior to ticket instead of 30 days)

They should get those first three from renting but the last one might only apply to owners or people who book straight through Disney. Renting points may or may not give you that advantage. Either way, you still also have to prepurchase your park tickets.

5. It's also easier to see night-time fireworks from resorts inside WDW
6. Food and gift deliveries straight to the room
7. Don't have to buy Magicbands (that's about $150 savings for a family of 5, BUT you might just end up buying the cuter ones anyway)

What do the rest of you think? Do you think like I do that as their kids get older, they and/or their kids are probably going to want to go other places than Disney?
Probably, but some people just LOVE Disney so that depends. Also, Disney does seem to hold value so if hey buy resale now they might not be out all that much later if/when they want to sell.

They also lose access to magic hours and the 60 day fast pass booking window

My family recently stayed at Bluegreen Fountains in Orlando and we visited WDW for 3 days. I did a ton of research (since we are not huge Disney fans and will only do Disney once every 2 years or so) and it all worked out fabulously! My husband - for once - was enthusiastic about my itinerary. He was very thankful I had planned well so that we did everything we wanted to do. Anyway, obviously The Fountains is not located in WDW and so I was very aware of which perks we were missing out on and which ones we got. Worked fine for us and we will do it again but I know that's not for everyone. I get the impression that these friends are the kind who should probably stay on-site.

I also want to add another recommendation for:
http://www.disboards.com/

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Thanks everyone, you've been a huge help! I think if they get this DVC contract, which looks to be a good deal, that they will be very happy with it for many years to come as they are likely to keep being Disneyholics. LOL.

I remember when we still lived up North like this young family does. When you come to Florida in the many months that are cold and the trees are leafless up North you are just enamoured with the warm weather, sunshine and tropical foliage. We are starting our 7th year of living in Florida and it still hasn't gotten old!

Since moving to Florida I've stayed at Animal Kingdom, Saratoga Springs, Bonnet Creek, Cypress Palms and Star Island using our timeshares. We stayed in Orlando at least 6 if not more times just in 2016. Add to that the Disney Weekday Select Florida resident annual pass is $275 a year and I actually pay less than that because I get a discount for renewing. We can go to Orlando on a whim as it is 3 hour drive not a flight nor a 16-18 hour drive and we aren't paying anywhere near what they have to pay for tickets. Distance, price, being retired so no restrictions on when I can travel makes my perspective a whole lot different from a young family with kids.

Hearing from those of you who have gone to Disney for years with your families and own or wish you'd bought DVC was what I needed. In the years before we owned the timeshares I tended to be the type of person who could stay at a Disney resort once and enjoy it but then future trips would be done in a less expensive way. And I would be perfectly happy with that which most likely makes me the exception rather than the norm. Owing the timeshares really changed our lives and there is rarely a time when I have to think like that anymore. This past Spring when we went to Vegas I had the option of booking Desert Blue in a presidential unit or at Grand Desert in a deluxe unit for a lot less points. My husband who never looks at or cares about the price of anything when he goes to the grocery store (if I had a screaming face that I could insert here I would), even he said why would we use so many more points when we love Grand Desert for this, this and this reason.

**A big shout out to Vegas Bella for pointing out advantages 2 and 4 which I was forgetting about and are certainly worth having.
Well, there are other advantages too:
1. They don't have to pay $20/day in parking
2. They have access to Magic Hours
3. Can use Magicband to charge things to their room
4. They have an additional 30 days advantage to booking FastPasses (= 60 days prior to ticket instead of 30 days)

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Be sure to let us know how it turns out. Crossing my fingers for them! If they decide they want the Annual Pass discount, they could always add on a 25 point contract direct from Disney.

BigRedNole

TUG Member
Reaction score
This from a non-TS nor DVC owner. We frequent Disney and love it. I was always "stay onsite" until a trip presented itself to stay at Bonnet Creek. It was a last minute deal in the middle of December. We were already going 2 months later so we upgraded passes to Annual Passes. I was shocked at how nice WBC was. When factoring in price and benefit, there was nothing we were left out of. After that trip, we rented a 1BR unit in early February at Boardwalk for $1,200 and then another 1BR unit in July at Saratoga Springs for $1,250. The 2BR Deluxe at WBC was only $500. The second bedroom was used by family who paid half. The net of it is that I stayed at WBC for a week and received an AP for the cost of 1 week at a DVC resort. We also drive when we go which makes a huge cost savings difference staying offsite.

There are only a small number of things you do not get the benefit of if you are offsite. First, you lose morning Extra Magic Hours. It is only 1 hour and offsite guests avoid that park on those days anyway. Evening EMH hours you can attend, but just not go on attractions. This means you can eat at any of the restaurants, shop, trade pins, watch fireworks, people watch. Second is pool use. This is the same for onsite guests as well. Onsite guests can only use their resort pool. This "restriction" is loosely monitored at most resorts. Beach Club is definitely a lock out as well as Art of Animation. However, Art of Animation has enough people going in and out of the gate that you can get in if you wanted. Almost all other resorts do not have anyone monitoring. Your access to hop in the pools is relatively easy. All other activities at resorts can be used by non-resort guests. Animal Kingdom Lodge has daily activities to learn about the animals and culture. They give out beads as you do each. This is open to anyone. AoA has learning to draw with an Animator. Free to non-resort guests as well.

As for the family looking at buying, my advice is if you can't pay cash, TS or DVC is not for you. With 3 kids you have a ton of unexpected expenses. In my experience, you can get a 2BR unit at WBC for the same price or less than a Disney Value resort. Typical 2BR units rent for $1,200 vs a studio for the same price. I would inform them to rent from DVC owners, rent from TS owners, and see how much they really like it. When I factor in all the PV (present value) of all of my trips, I cannot see buying a timeshare. This is just for me and my family's situation. Those that own them may have vastly different situations from me.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion only "Do Not Purchase a Timeshare; Unless they purchase a "ReSale Timeshare."
Please tell them to rent.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I agree with some that if they are low on cash, TS is not for them. Even if they get it for $1, they still have maintenance costs. Depending on where they go, they can probably rent cheaper then the what the MF costs. For me, we do large family trips ever 2-3 years. This years trip consists of 27 people. We will be getting three rooms that will value $6k total. My yearly MF are just over $3k. On the off years, we usually do at least one week in with a group of us (one or two rooms), and then maybe a few shorter vacations. Point is, I use it a lot, and the value of the rooms I stay at are higher then the MF costs, so I do save some money. The downside is I have this added permanent monthly payment that if I have to budget for. If we suffer an economic hardship, and we have no money saved, that MF payment will be difficult to make. TS are not easy to dump quickly. Even if you get a buyer right away, it could be months before the new buyer takes over the TS. In the meantime, you are paying MF you cannot afford.