• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planting grass seed and using burlap

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
My yard looks great. but I have a couple small bald patches..So I planted grass seed, but the birds were winning the battle..Bought burlap; problem solved..Almost...Went online to ask when to take burlap off....It was recommended I leave burlap on until it disintegrates..Well, IMO it would take forever to do so... Any other answers? Thx

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. Burlap is great to use when seeding grass on a hill. My recommendation would be to rough up the soil again, spread your grass seed and then sprinkle a good quality of peat moss over the seed. The peat moss will help to keep the soil moist, and will not harm the newly emerging grass.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Strategies used around my neck of the woods:
- plastic snakes to deter birds
- reflective tape and other shiny things that move in the wind and seem to deter birds
- putting slatted plastic trays (you can get them at the nursery - they're for carrying about 9 smaller plants in them) on top of the seeded area
- just paying for sod and doing it that way

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Strategies used around my neck of the woods:
- plastic snakes to deter birds
- reflective tape and other shiny things that move in the wind and seem to deter birds
- putting slatted plastic trays (you can get them at the nursery - they're for carrying about 9 smaller plants in them) on top of the seeded area
- just paying for sod and doing it that way

Yikes. Sounds a bit overwhelming.

I just buy a bag of shredded straw, scatter it over the seeded area, moisten every day, and nature takes it from there. Done.
straw.jpg

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I didn't explain my question well enough...Burlap is already in place, grass is growing just fine..I want to know when to take burlap off? Or do I let it stay on as recommended online....Thx

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I must say to Phydeaux: If I had to do all over again, I would have chosen straw.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I didn't explain my question well enough...Burlap is already in place, grass is growing just fine..I want to know when to take burlap off? Or do I let it stay on as recommended online....Thx

That leaves you 2 options. Leave it in place, or pull it up. If I'm missing a third, please lmk.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long has the grass been growing into the burlap? If it is just newly emerged, taking up the burlap could rip up the new grass.
I would leave it there, as you mentioned the burlap will eventually disintegrate.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
3rd option: let burlap disintegrate into soil...

Actually, that falls under 'leave it in place', now doesn't it?

Or, as George Carlin would say: "Flammable, inflammable, non-flamable. Why are there three? Seems to me two should be enough. Either it flams or it doesn't". :)