• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

plantation beach club Captiva via RCI - How are the rooms

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village parkway and links golf and raquet
Hi,

I have a unit confirmed at Plantation Beach Club south Seas #0045. The property looks amazing as it appears to be right on the beach. However when I look at the website the units look super old and outdated. Are the pics on the HGVC website accurarate?

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed in the Harbourview villas across from PBC and they were really nice but not on the beach like you are.

South Seas resort is an amazing property and I think you did well to trade in as it is a rare find. I did read complaints on TripAdvisor about the resort but I think those are normal rentals (Tennis Villas in particular) and not the HGVC properties. So like some of the other Hilton south FL affiliates it may not be fancy but it should be in good shape - hopefully somebody can give you specifics.

What you need to know is that it appears your resort fees are not included - most HGVC properties have them as part of the MF - and they can be expensive. To me it would still be worth the price of those to go - the pool complex is on the bay and beach chairs and umbrellas are included and you can walk around the tip of the island at sunrise and see the sunrise on the bay side and walk around to the beach side with fish jumping and birds flying around. An amazing place. I think the par 3 golf course is included - i did not try it.

This link is from an owner site:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The property looks amazing as it appears to be right on the beach. However when I look at the website the units look super old and outdated. Are the pics on the HGVC website accurarate?
Yes, the resort is right on the beach. We stayed there ~3/4 years ago in a 2-Bd. If you are taking about this web site, the pictures look accurate to me. I know that we have some TUG members who own there, but I felt that it was dated also (IMO). Honestly, we did enjoy the resort and area. We even considered purchasing there. But, we like a property on Captiva Island better, but we didn't purchase that either.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Yes, the resort is right on the beach. We stayed there ~3/4 years ago in a 2-Bd. If you are taking about this web site, the pictures look accurate to me. I know that we have some TUG members who own there, but I felt that it was dated also (IMO). Honestly, we did enjoy the resort and area. We even considered purchasing there. But, we like a property on Captiva Island better, but we didn't purchase that either.

Hi Greg. Wrong Plantation Beach Club! The one you linked to is the HGVC Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Resort on Hutchinson Island on the Atlantic coast of Florida. I believe the OP is referring to the HGVC Plantation Beach Club at South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island on the Gulf coast of Florida. See link for the latter below.

We are booked to stay on the top floor in a 1-bdrm unit at the first location (Indian River Plantation Resort) for 12 nights at the beginning of December. Whether we actually end up going is still to be decided, depending upon whether the Canada/US border is open then and the state of Covid-19. If that is the Plantation Beach Club you stayed at, I am interested in your comments on it being dated, since some other reviewers have mentioned it also.

If it is just a reference to the furniture being "non-modern" then we will be fine. If it is a reference to it being worn down and poorly maintained, then I will be more concerned. I would be interested in your comments. If you want to PM me, so that we don't completely hijack this thread, that would be fine. In the meantime, my apologies to the OP!!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hi Greg. Wrong Plantation Beach Club! The one you linked to is the HGVC Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Resort on Hutchinson Island on the Atlantic coast of Florida. I believe the OP is referring to the HGVC Plantation Beach Club at South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island on the Gulf coast of Florida. See link for the latter below.

We are booked to stay on the top floor in a 1-bdrm unit at the first location (Indian River Plantation Resort) for 12 nights at the beginning of December. Whether we actually end up going is still to be decided, depending upon whether the Canada/US border is open then and the state of Covid-19. If that is the Plantation Beach Club you stayed at, I am interested in your comments on it being dated, since some other reviewers have mentioned it also.

If it is just a reference to the furniture being "non-modern" then we will be fine. If it is a reference to it being worn down and poorly maintained, then I will be more concerned. I would be interested in your comments. If you want to PM me, so that we don't completely hijack this thread, that would be fine. In the meantime, my apologies to the OP!!
Indian River is just more traditional decor, not worn. Very nice resort.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps now would be a good time for them to take the word plantation out of both names, reducing confusion at the same time.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The one you linked to is the HGVC Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Resort on Hutchinson Island on the Atlantic coast of Florida.
Whoops, my mistake. You are so correct, thanks @CanuckTravlr . OP, please forget my comments, the wrong resort.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Indian River is just more traditional decor, not worn. Very nice resort.

Thanks so much for that confirmation, Panina! That is what we had assumed, but you never know. I sometimes smile when I see "younger" reviewers (I am 70 and my wife is 65) comment on "dated" units, when what they really mean is that it is not super-modern!! LOL. We are very comfortable with "dated", since it reminds us of home. ;)

I will be very disappointed if we can't make it. We have been trying to book a unit in there for some time, but it is a hard location to book in Club Season, since it is so small and many owners seem to actually use their week there, just like the S/W Gulf locations. I managed to find three days back in early March, before the lockdown kicked in, and was able to walk it to get a full 12 nights. We were very excited at our good luck and then the full fury of Covid-19 raised its ugly head. :shrug:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thanks so much for that confirmation, Panina! That is what we had assumed, but you never know. I sometimes smile when I see "younger" reviewers (I am 70 and my wife is 65) comment on "dated" units, when what they really mean is that it is not super-modern!! LOL. We are very comfortable with "dated", since it reminds us of home. ;)

I will be very disappointed if we can't make it. We have been trying to book a unit in there for some time, but it is a hard location to book in Club Season, since it is so small and many owners seem to actually use their week there, just like the S/W Gulf locations. I managed to find three days back in early March, before the lockdown kicked in, and was able to walk it to get a full 12 nights. We were very excited at our good luck and then the full fury of Covid-19 raised its ugly head. :shrug:
It is one of my favorite resorts. I own a New Year week there. Sadly will probably be one of the weeks I will give away due to the split. I like the one bedroom much better then the two.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I would agree with traditional decor. One comment I would add is that this is a very family-oriented resort. Many of these owners have been coming to this resort since it opened. So they were like family and all seem to know each other. I attended an owner's update while I was there at the resort. That was certainly different (in a good way) from any owner's update that I have ever attended at a traditional HGVC resort (aka "sales presentation") . It was really an owner's update where they discussed what was happening at that resort. I wish all HGVC would have this meet-and-greet truly owner's update. I did experience something similar last summer at Valdoro Mountain Lodge where the GM meet us in the lounge to give us an update. In each case, there wasn't a sales office at each of these resorts (I wonder if that is the common thread?).

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yes, many of the SW FL locations are "dated", but to me, if the units are clean and comfortable and not in tatters, I really don't care. I just consider it spending some time in a different era. :) Plus, these older resorts may not have the fanciest pools, but GASP -- the pools actually have a deep end! It frustrates me to no end that most newer resorts have pools that never get deeper than 3 feet. That is a worthless pool, to me.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I also own a week at PBC at IRP. Very nice, homey, low key place.
On July 4th, two years ago, we saw fireworks in several places from the 4th floor walkway.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have stayed at PBC at IRP also. Top floor 1br.

The property itself seemed dated but the unit itself was in great condition. The front desk lady was awesome. The surrounding properties felt even more dated. We had a huge lanai and the 1brs are all top floor - we were so close we could hear the waves crashing. I would go there again in a heartbeat.

The local workout room was bad (off property) but we had access to the workout facilities at the nearby Marriott and that was great. Spent a day by their pool as they had a good tiki bar/restaurant.

Last edited:

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly will probably be one of the weeks I will give away due to the split. I like the one bedroom much better then the two.

Split ? What what whhhaaaatttt ???

Last edited: