• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Own enrolled week and just added new resale - any strategy to enroll for low $?

Reaction score
I bought a week retail (>$20k) and it is enrolled in abound and I have access to Interval.

When it came to getting our second week we went resale and saved a lot of $$.

Unfortunately we learned we need a separate interval membership to exchange this resale week and before we start paying that I wanted to see if there are any strategies to enroll the week?

For example: if we went to the timeshare presentation and advised we are interested in writing a check to upgrade this resale week to abound with same benefits, would they consider for a relatively low fee?

Would be nice to get access to the points exchange and also get the next bump in status too… but only if price is not crazy high

Would hope the sales rep has authority to do this and would see the benefit of some $$ over no $$

Thoughts?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Will need to buy 3000 Trust points or purchase a qualifying Aruba, St Kitts or Spain week from MVC to enroll it.

Reaction score
Ouch - not worth it at those prices - I guess I will have to pay for a separate interval membership? No compromise for just that capability?

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
We've maintained multiple Interval accounts for years for this reason. We don't need, or want to spend $$$, on points just to enroll our one straggler week. We miss the unlimited re-trades for that unenrolled week, but you can build a strategy around what best works for you...and $89 for 3 re-trades is a whole lot cheaper.

Reaction score
Indeed - ok thanks

I guess I’ll do the same

Maybe for giggles I’ll still bring my checkbook and offer to pay right then if the price is reasonable (e.g. I think I could see extracting value if it was only maybe $1k to enroll)

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Indeed - ok thanks

I guess I’ll do the same

Maybe for giggles I’ll still bring my checkbook and offer to pay right then if the price is reasonable (e.g. I think I could see extracting value if it was only maybe $1k to enroll)
Maybe add another zero and I would be astonished if MVC would enroll your week for $10K.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed - ok thanks

I guess I’ll do the same

Roughly $37K minimum, not worth it just to enroll but there are sometimes other plans that may make it more reasonable such as if one buys a bundle to get more points and rolls the enrollment into that. There are other costs including the exchange fee with II, lock off fee, and change or cancellation fee. Plus M to M retrades are free in the corporate account.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I have an enrolled trader week in my corporate account, a week I use/rent in my II account and an EOY trader in my II account. The actually trading/re-trading in II is no different. Don't confuse convenience with math. The math will never make cents.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed - ok thanks

I guess I’ll do the same

Put your hands in your pocket and get yourself an Interval International membership for that resale week. It will cost you a lot less than $1K

All weeks sold on the resale market (unless via Marriott) will no longer be enrolled in the "points game", and frankly, it will save you a lot of money on an annual basis because the maintenance fees are cheaper with weeks than with points......

Don't even think of enrolling your resale week with Marriott unless you want to spend a minimum of five figures.

By the way, what resale week (and what season) did you end up buying?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
and if you bought a resale week that you want to use, you don't even need an II account.

Twohsieh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Villas Grand Californian
DVC-Aulani
Marriott's Newport Coast
Will need to buy 3000 Trust points or purchase a qualifying Aruba, St Kitts or Spain week from MVC to enroll it.
Would you mind letting me know what a qualifying Aruba, St. Kitts or Spain week entails? I'm curious to know if one's resale weeks will automatically be enrolled once a purchase to the mentioned resort is completed.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would you mind letting me know what a qualifying Aruba, St. Kitts or Spain week entails? I'm curious to know if one's resale weeks will automatically be enrolled once a purchase to the mentioned resort is completed.
I can't speak for Spain but can for Aruba or St. Kitt's. The process is essentially the same as buying points from a cost standpoint including the same spending requirements to do so. Last I heard the minimum was approaching $37K to enroll 1 week up to over $90K to enroll 5. Over 5 you start over with a separate purchase. While in the past they have enrolled up to 7 weeks officially and more on one purchase at times, this flexibility has stopped, at least the last I heard. I do have a great and straight forward sales contact for Aruba that can also sell St. Kitt's. Sometimes St. Kitt's is cheaper with specials. It is often minimally less this year to do so with a week over points but the biggest advantage going forward is that you own the week and if you make good choices, have a much lower yearly fee. In past years the cost difference was often greater than it currently is. PM me if you want my sales contact for Aruba, others here have bought through him as well.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to enrol as to what you need to buy.
We recently purchased a 1 Bed week in Marbella for £11,900 (~$14,500) which comes enrolled Points Value 2,225 and this also enrolled a resale 3 Bed week in Son Antem Points Value 3,625.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to zero in on the word “automatic.” If you go this route, you need an agreement in advance (in writing, at least email) that the purchase will enroll the weeks.

Dean’s contact is Aruba is excellent.

Twohsieh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Aulani
Marriott's Newport Coast
I can't speak for Spain but can for Aruba or St. Kitt's. The process is essentially the same as buying points from a cost standpoint including the same spending requirements to do so. Last I heard the minimum was approaching $37K to enroll 1 week up to over $90K to enroll 5. Over 5 you start over with a separate purchase. While in the past they have enrolled up to 7 weeks officially and more on one purchase at times, this flexibility has stopped, at least the last I heard. I do have a great and straight forward sales contact for Aruba that can also sell St. Kitt's. Sometimes St. Kitt's is cheaper with specials. It is often minimally less this year to do so with a week over points but the biggest advantage going forward is that you own the week and if you make good choices, have a much lower yearly fee. In past years the cost difference was often greater than it currently is. PM me if you want my sales contact for Aruba, others here have bought through him as well.
Thank you for all the information. Officially, I don't have a MVC contract yet (passed rofr and set to close this month) but I'm already searching up ways to enroll my week (NCV week 26). The Aruba resort looks amazing. I'll reach out to you in the future if I want to buy in Aruba.

Twohsieh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Aulani
Marriott's Newport Coast
It depends on what you want to enrol as to what you need to buy.
We recently purchased a 1 Bed week in Marbella for £11,900 (~$14,500) which comes enrolled Points Value 2,225 and this also enrolled a resale 3 Bed week in Son Antem Points Value 3,625.
In escrow now, passed rofr for Newport Coast Villas, Fourth of July week.

Twohsieh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Aulani
Marriott's Newport Coast
I want to zero in on the word “automatic.” If you go this route, you need an agreement in advance (in writing, at least email) that the purchase will enroll the weeks.

Thank you for the advice.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

With our Marbella week purchase the documentation signed by ourselves and MVC confirmed that both this week and our chosen Club Son Antem resale week would be enrolled.
I wouldn’t say this was “automatic”, but they were indeed both enrolled within approx 1 month.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I suggest you look carefully at the value-add if you enrolled the week, it isn't much. Most important is looking carefully at what you can do with what you have right now. Adding a few rental points (at less than the annual MF cost) would reposition you most of the way to your goal for next to nothing each year. But, do the extra Interval membership, it is of nominal cost, and adds value to your current resale "and" future resale weeks.

Status levels - they are ok but don't chase them for the early reservation privilege alone, it's not that great. You could spend less money working the Redweek rental system for exactly what you want each year - this is an alternative to achieving status levels for you.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
With our Marbella week purchase the documentation signed by ourselves and MVC confirmed that both this week and our chosen Club Son Antem resale week would be enrolled.
I wouldn’t say this was “automatic”, but they were indeed both enrolled within approx 1 month.
You had an agreement in advance, right? That’s all I meant. I was worried someone might think that “automatic” means that you don’t need to have a discussion about enrollment before making the purchase.

One month is awesome :)

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
If you buy while you are on an encore stay, the money paid for the encore will be deducted from the total. It was for us anyway. Not a huge help, but some. If you really want to do it, that's an idea to consider.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Ouch - not worth it at those prices - I guess I will have to pay for a separate interval membership? No compromise for just that capability?

If you look at it as paying an enrollment fee for a timeshare exchange (totally legitimate), yes the costs are outlandish - especially compared to the II alternative. But if you look at it as buying points by enrolling weeks (also legitimate) the numbers can look very attractive relative to buying resale points. The benefit becomes greater if you have multiple resale weeks to enroll, which means it takes some effort and time to do it most effectively.

I think the deals have changed over time but it used to be that for a ~$60K purchase of a RTU international week, you could enroll up to 7 additional resale weeks. We took advantage of something more modest, enrolling 2 weeks for about $30K, with that $30K also purchasing a week that exchanges into ~4000 points. If you do something like this with weeks that have a relatively generous point allocation (those 2 weeks convert to about 10K points) then, on a cost per point basis you can get to below $5/point (cheaper than resale trust points) and also much lower annual MFs per point. Do it with 7 such weeks, the numbers can look even better (below $4/point) since the higher cost of the direct-purchase week is spread out over more total weeks.