• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New owner of resale question about pt. usage

jpin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Just got confirmation that the ROFR was waived and should be getting final paperwork any day. I refunded seller MF for usage of points this year so I can either roll them over but want to try and use them. However I started to wonder about using the points. Every January we go to Vegas and I am wondering since you generally book out 6-9 months, if I book for January stay in July this year will the points toward that stay come out of my points this year or next years? Hope my question makes sense. Thanks for any clarification you can give.

Mr.G

TUG Member
Reaction score
for Vegas, you can get a good booking at 1 month out and you might even get sales deals through Jan to Feb during black Friday sales. I usually book 3-4 month out

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
points come out of the bucket for the year in which they are used, independent of when you made the reservation.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
not sure how that works for a week 52 reservation as I've never done that

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If you want to use your 2024 points for a 2025 stay, you'll need to save them first before booking your 2025 stay.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
what happens if you try to book a week with some days in 24 and some days in 25? does it pull the points from the correct year?

what if you try to book a HW across the New Year?

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
what happens if you try to book a week with some days in 24 and some days in 25? does it pull the points from the correct year?

Walking Reservation Across Calendar Year

I believe my post above still holds true for walking reservations across calendar years. Otherwise, if you happen to see the all the days you need that starts in December 2024 and ends in January 2025 and you have 2024 and 2025 points available, system should pull 2024 points first and borrow remaining points from 2025. If you have enough points in 2024 to cover the entire booking, it will only use 2024 points even if your stay has 2025 days as part of the reservation.

what if you try to book a HW across the New Year?

HW bookings always pull from the current year even if it crosses over to the following year, like Week 52 and Week 53.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
HW bookings always pull from the current year even if it crosses over to the following year, like Week 52 and Week 53.
For clarification, the booking will pull from the year in which it starts.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
This seems related to this topic; if I borrow points from next year (2025) for a stay this year (2024), does that then stop me from making a home week reservation for next year, assuming that I am making the home week reservation at a time when the next year's (2026) points are available to borrow from?

I feel like I've worded this poorly.... maybe more succinctly: if I borrow from next year will I always be precluded from making a home week reservation in the year I borrowed from?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
if you only have one deed, yes. if you have two or more deeds and have enough for one HW, my experience is that I can still make that HW reservation.

Last edited:

raddoc

TUG Member
Reaction score

I can confirm this. I have a fixed week 52 unit (technically a New Year's event week) and points always come from the year the reservation starts even though the week extends into the next year.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
This seems related to this topic; if I borrow points from next year (2025) for a stay this year (2024), does that then stop me from making a home week reservation for next year, assuming that I am making the home week reservation at a time when the next year's (2026) points are available to borrow from?

I feel like I've worded this poorly.... maybe more succinctly: if I borrow from next year will I always be precluded from making a home week reservation in the year I borrowed from?

I am always running on empty, never use my home week. Your home week status shows in your account when you borrow points. Borrowing is free, and you get to stay before you pay, so why not? :)

Screenshot 2024-03-08 7.55.44 AM.png

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
as others said, unless they screw something up upon transfer, points are automatically used FIFO, so you're good to go.
and I will never book in LV but there always seems to be plenty of inventory there