• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

need to add to request; suggestions?

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I am getting antsy about my July HHI request... looking for suggestions for additional Marriott destinations. Would consider non-Marriott provided there is a likelihood of success (I hate to pay the increased exchange fee for nothing). Here are our criteria:

1. Relatively inexpensive flight from NYC (NYC to HHI is currently about $300 and going up)
2. Lots of stuff for 12 year olds to do...
3. Preferably in a beach community (the kicker, I know)

I have already added Marriott Ocean Watch in Myrtle Beach. Don't want to go to Florida in summer. Am considering Williamsburg, but the kids hate "historic" stuff... is there enough other stuff there? How far is Busch Gardens, and is there enough to do for a week if we don't do the historic stuff?

tia
avery

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found with tryting to get into HHI that if you attempt to go one of the last weeks of August you can usually get in as that is when the U.S. school kids are heading back to school, we are from Canada and our kids do not go back till after labour day. Williamsburg is terrific, Bush Gardens is very close and terrific as well ther is a great water park as well.

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks; we have always gone the last week in August and despite the heat and jellyfish we've had great times; I d/n realize I'd have trouble with July. The part that's killing me is I OWN a summer HH week, but deposited it with II in hopes of getting a Hawaii exchange. Instead, I got two HI weeks from SFX with a different deposit, and now the HH trip is being thrown in late in the game. I wish I could just get my week at Harbor Club back, but it's already been grabbed :(

barbaraek

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Williamsburg three summers ago with our two kids( 10 and 13 and stayed at Manor Club. Busch Gardens is about a 15-20 minute drive from the resort. We worked out a great routine where we went to the historic area during the morning, came back for lunch and swam in the afternoonj, then headed over to Busch Gardens for the evening. Busch Gardens had a pass "hot summer nights" that gave you admission to the park ALL SUMMER as long as you went after 4 p.m. The pass price was comparable to a one day pass to the park. It was a great deal and we used it 5 of the 7 nights we were there. The 4 p.m. part was not a problem for us - we found the park cooler and less crowded, and the park was open until 10 p.m. so we had plenty of time there.

We like the beach too, but this was a nice change of pace for us. One of the the things my kids liked was an evening ghost tales walk through the historic area. And they actually enjoyed the historic area more than I thought they would.

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming your request covers all the Marriott's on HHI. You may want to consider the Marriott in New Jersey. I know that may not feel far enough away but I have heard that the Jersey Shore is pretty popular and Cape May and Phili are really close.

Bev

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well if you give up on the beach and are considering Williamsburg, why not consider either South Lake Tahoe (fly into Sacramento - flight cost on Jet Blue about $360) or Park City, Utah? It will give you four more Marriotts to consider & lots of wonderful outdoor activities for the kids. Plus these Marriotts aren't as difficult to match since summer is gold season for the mountains. With South Lake Tahoe you have a gorgeous lake if not the ocean!

Good luck with your decision!

Jan

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
hmmm, we are headed to Tahoe for Easter '07... but a summer week might be fun... what is there for kids at the resort itself? Does it have ping pong/basketball/Marketplace, maybe a gameroom?? We just got back from Park City; GORGEOUS area and great for skiing, but the local consensus is that the area is dead in the summer... we could hike and drive/sightsee for a day or two, but no more.

Last edited:

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Avery,
I don't own a timeshare in Tahoe but we own a share in a condo at Northstar in North Lake Tahoe & I can tell you that my kids absolutely loved growing up going to Tahoe in the summer. It is definitely much more of a nature environment (hiking, biking, the lake, & outdoor concerts) and maybe that is how I ended up with a tree hugger young adult (that I have learned so very much from).

Here is a good web site for Park City in the summer: http://www.parkcitymountain.com/summer/menu_01/index.html

Good luck with your decision!

Jan

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
If you can handle a flight to Aruba it is great all year long and has fabulous beaches. It is also out of the hurricane track.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
As I recall from our Timberlodge tour in South Lake Tahoe a year ago, summer is Platinum season there. Beautiful area with lots of stuff for the kids. Living in the SF Bay Area, we used to spend our summers camping at Tahoe when I was a kid (too many years ago to remember clearly!) We always had a great time.

Aruba in summer (gold season) is another great choice. Both the Ocean and Surf clubs are great resorts with lots of water activities your kids would enjoy.

Ingrid

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well it looks like we'll add Williamsburg (driveable), and possibly Tahoe. I know lots of folks love Aruba, and I have visited the Marriotts there, very nice, but we just didn't like the island much, a bit commercial/touristy for us. Also, this is an EXTRA trip (thus my late request); we're trying to keep expenses down given our three August weeks coming up in Hawaii....