• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Name change for MVC Reservation

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, many Tuggers have - this duel reservation situation has been going on for months. Currently, you have 2 confirmations & 2 numbers for each reservation. The front desks seem to be able to find the reservations under the Marriott number easier.

First of all, do you have the Marriott reservation number for your Vistana reservation? When you first made the reservation, they probably sent you a Marriott version of the confirmation with an 8-digit reservation number, instead of a 6-digit Vistana reservation number. If you don't have the Marriott number, you can call Vistana Owner Services tomorrow, and they can look it up for you.

Once you have the 8-digit Marriott number, click on my blue user name and then click: Start Conversation, and I will help you with the next step - we want to keep your info confidential.

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
Yes, many Tuggers have - this duel reservation situation has been going on for months. Currently, you have 2 confirmations & 2 numbers for each reservation. The front desks seem to be able to find the reservations under the Marriott number easier.

First of all, do you have the Marriott reservation number for your Vistana reservation? When you first made the reservation, they probably sent you a Marriott version of the confirmation with an 8-digit reservation number, instead of a 6-digit Vistana reservation number. If you don't have the Marriott number, you can call Vistana Owner Services tomorrow, and they can look it up for you.

Once you have the 8-digit Marriott number, click on my blue user name and then click: Start Conversation, and I will help you with the next step - we want to keep your info confidential.
Thanks, Denise. Our reservation confirmation only has the 6-digit Vistana number, so I'll call Owner Services tomorrow and get a Marriott number, and I do have a link for the name change document MVC has been using. I appreciate the offer of help; I may need it!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That name change document is for Marriott resort reservations - send me a message and I will show you how I do it.

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Guest Change Name button is no longer available when you're close to the check-in date. My guess is it's 30 days prior similar to the MVC policy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it's 5 days on the Vistana website.

Update: I just looked at a June 16th reservation and the "change guest name" button is still there, but June 14th - no button.

Last edited:

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
But Marriott doesn't rent out in 7-night increments on Marriott.com, so why do they care if they have a Friday or Saturday checkin? They probably have inventory from the prior week also, so the checkin days they scoop really shouldn't matter. They also use inventory they hold for certain preview package reservations that can checkin any day of the week and are usually three or four nights.
We need to differentiate between hotels and resorts. While most hotels cater to short stays, resorts are designed for longer stays, typically located in scenic natural surroundings. It's unlikely that someone would purchase a plane ticket solely for a brief stay at a resort. Consequently, Saturdays, Sundays, and Fridays tend to be the most popular check-in days for resorts, as guests aim to maximize their time away from their daily routines and immerse themselves in the resort experience.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We need to differentiate between hotels and resorts. While most hotels cater to short stays, resorts are designed for longer stays, typically located in scenic natural surroundings. It's unlikely that someone would purchase a plane ticket solely for a brief stay at a resort. Consequently, Saturdays, Sundays, and Fridays tend to be the most popular check-in days for resorts, as guests aim to maximize their time away from their daily routines and immerse themselves in the resort experience.
But Marriott doesn't need a specific checkin day to do that. If they have weeks back to back to back that they control, it doesn't matter what checkin days they actually booked.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are a Bonvoy member, you should be able to log in to your account at www.marriott.com. Your reservation would be listed there under My Trips. You will find your Marriott reservation number there.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
But Marriott doesn't need a specific checkin day to do that. If they have weeks back to back to back that they control, it doesn't matter what checkin days they actually booked.

While the check-in day holds significance, it is important to acknowledge that they have a plethora of other methods at their disposal to manipulate the value of their own bookings.

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
If you are a Bonvoy member, you should be able to log in to your account at www.marriott.com. Your reservation would be listed there under My Trips. You will find your Marriott reservation number there.
We already changed the name in Vistana, so the trip doesn't appear in my Bonvoy account.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually change the name in both places at the same time. After I change the name in Vistana, there probably isn't enough time for the Marriott side to change, so the reservation still shows up there too.

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA, WMH, WDW, SDO, SMV, WLR, (WFlex-no more, sold)
I own enough that I almost never rent, but if I want to rent a last minute booking (like within 7 days of check in) from RedWeek because it is either so affordable or a view I can't book (oceanfront), should I be worried that the owner won't be able to change the reservation into my name? Will I be able to verify that it has been changed and I can check in?

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own enough that I almost never rent, but if I want to rent a last minute booking (like within 7 days of check in) from RedWeek because it is either so affordable or a view I can't book (oceanfront), should I be worried that the owner won't be able to change the reservation into my name? Will I be able to verify that it has been changed and I can check in?
The name change generally gets finalized in the system within a couple of days. So the risk is low, but definitely not zero. With that being said, once MVC does finalize the change, at that point you should be able to call the resort directly to confirm that the reservation is in your name. If the owner provides you with the Marriott confirmation number, you can also check on marriott.com as well.