• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My soon-to-be-cancelled HGVC contract - thoughts?

Barefootdude

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new in timeshares and a few days ago finally went in to a contract that I am 99% sure I will rescind after reading so many posts and comments. Still, looking to understand more about this.

What I got in my HGVC contract:
  • 5,000 yearly points (I started here because I was told I could borrow points from the following year)
  • Hawaii collection
  • 25,000 bonus points to be redeemed within 24 months
  • $21k total
  • MF $1570
  • I can cancel until Thursday. I have it signed and ready to go but want to revisit here before doing so.
At a high glance, we got each point at $6 each. I used the preview package and got me a very nice 5 nights 2 brm/2 bath studio in Waikiki for peanuts -- we loved it.

My needs:
  • I have a large family (7 people) and we need two bedroom studios (but we can adjust even if we got a 1 bedroom and 2 beds)
  • Looking to travel to Europe in the next year or two (this was previous to going into the presentation)
  • I looked into hotel rooms in Expedia and we are looking at 10k-15k for a month travel across EU (just hotel rooms and not the fanciest ones)
Presentation experience:
  • I didn't feel rushed or pressured. I liked the sales person and felt like he really wanted to help out.
  • They omitted going over the HOA fees and how these will keep increasing year-over-year.
  • They mentioned the resort fees only until the end and not before.
  • I don't know what level or season I bought into? It is not in the contract. They mentioned Gold season but unsure.
Questions
  1. If I buy resale, we lose all the extra benefits like the cash offers, open season, Hilton VIP/Elite status, correct?
  2. Would I retain the DEX access? Or do you need to call customer service every time you want to use the points?
  3. If you are an existing HGVC owner and buy more resale points from the same location, do you need to pay your MFs plus the new MFs or do they even out? Example, my fees are 1570 and I buy another 10k points/deed from someone else with a 1800 MF, would I need to pay. 1570+1800=3370?
Sorry for the tons of questions. This site has a lot of info and it is overwhelming.

Thanks in advance!

Mr.G

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I read Hawaii collection I knew it is HVC not HGVC. With HGVC resale, open season is available. What are the cash offers you are talking about? Hilton status doesn’t worth your extra cost.
Only limited HGVC properties provide DEX, most don’t, but we have RCI.
To answer your third question, you need to pay for the HOA of each deed, so yes. On the HGVC side with your $1500 HOA, a good deed could give you 15000 points on average on the HGVC side instead of 5000 on the HVC side
If you decided to join HGVC side you won’t be exchange into HVC side with resale unless you do retail purchase and you only have 6 month booking window

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
At what Resort were you when you made this purchase? I agree with Mr.G Hawaiian Collection sounds like HVC (formerly DRI [Diamond]) not HGVC. Never heard of a "2 bedroom studio." If this is HVC you can not Book much with only 5,000 Points.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I am new in timeshares and a few days ago finally went in to a contract that I am 99% sure I will rescind after reading so many posts and comments.
Yes, the first thing that you need to do is rescind immediately. Follow the instructions exactly as stated that are somewhere in your paperwork. Then come back here and read the rest of my post.

You purchased trust points in HVC (formerly DRI or Diamond). You don't own in the HGVC TS system. Salespeople are very good at what they do. They certainly aren't going to correct any misunderstanding and also will mislead you. You aren't purchasing enough points for a family of 7. A typical 2BR will require 11,200 pts in platinum season but occupancy is limited to 6 people, so you will require a 3BR which is typically 15360 pts. Now these points are for the standard resorts where the newer resorts require more points.

HVC trust TS system doesn't have a season or a deed. You just purchase points. One problem with that system is that your ownership is completely worthless after you make the retail purchase. So it will be even hard to give it away for free.

TS systems don't work very well for Europe. You certainly won't be able to do anything with only 5,000 pts. DEX can work somewhat for Europe, but I wouldn't plan on a month using only 5,000 pts. You certainly won't be able to travel around every day or two using your points. You can convert HGVC pts to Hilton Honors points but in general that is a poor use of points. Any other use of HGVC pts except TS stays is a poor use of points.

If I buy resale, we lose all the extra benefits like the cash offers, open season, Hilton VIP/Elite status, correct?
There is a way to get HGVC Elite status via resale by purchasing from a HGVC resale agent. Probably the best way is to purchase in Scotland at Craigendarroch via the HGVC resale agent there.
Would I retain the DEX access? Or do you need to call customer service every time you want to use the points?
You can get DEX access if you purchase at Craigendarroch or a couple of the Florida Gulf resorts and enroll your week in DEX. Several of us have done this.
f you are an existing HGVC owner and buy more resale points from the same location, do you need to pay your MFs plus the new MFs or do they even out? Example, my fees are 1570 and I buy another 10k points/deed from someone else with a 1800 MF, would I need to pay. 1570+1800=3370?
Yes, if you purchase additional ownership, then yes you will pay additional MFs. The recommended purchase with HGVC is to buy a deed with a low MFs/point ratio which is platinum season. Some of the Las Vegas resorts (Boulevard, Elara, Paradise) or Craigendarroch have some of the better MFs/pts ratios. You can also look at hgvcmfs.com for a report on the HGVC with the best MF (we are just starting to report 2025 so best to look at 2024).

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Others have answered most of your questions, but I wanted to comment on a couple of items:
  • I have a large family (7 people) and we need two bedroom studios (but we can adjust even if we got a 1 bedroom and 2 beds)
With a 7 person family, you will need a 3BR unit for your vacations, as there are occupancy limits. For almost all locations, occupancy limits are as follows:
Studio: 2 people
1BR: 4 people
2BR: 6 people
3BR: 8 people

Children count against the occupancy limits. Also, many places do not have 3BR units, so you would have to split up into two units for your vacation. 5000 points is not near enough points for a family of 7 to take any kind of meaningful vacation; I would think you would need in the range of 15-20K points.

• Looking to travel to Europe in the next year or two (this was previous to going into the presentation)
There are limited locations in Europe, and they are generally hard to book. You might be disappointed if this is your main place you want to vacation.

• If you are an existing HGVC owner and buy more resale points from the same location, do you need to pay your MFs plus the new MFs or do they even out? Example, my fees are 1570 and I buy another 10k points/deed from someone else with a 1800 MF, would I need to pay. 1570+1800=3370?
Your maintenance fees are the same for a given deed whether you bought directly through HGV or through resale, and you the maintenance fees for each deed you own.

Kurt

Barefootdude

Reaction score
At what Resort were you when you made this purchase? I agree with Mr.G Hawaiian Collection sounds like HVC (formerly DRI [Diamond]) not HGVC. Never heard of a "2 bedroom studio." If this is HVC you can not Book much with only 5,000 Points.
My apologies, it was a 2 bedroom suite at the Grand Waikikian.

My contract says “HGV MAX Club” and Hilton Grand Vacations Club in the initial pages, not sure.

Barefootdude

Reaction score
Yes, the first thing that you need to do is rescind immediately. Follow the instructions exactly as stated that are somewhere in your paperwork. Then come back here and read the rest of my post.

You purchased trust points in HVC (formerly DRI or Diamond). You don't own in the HGVC TS system. Salespeople are very good at what they do. They certainly aren't going to correct any misunderstanding and also will mislead you. You aren't purchasing enough points for a family of 7. A typical 2BR will require 11,200 pts in platinum season but occupancy is limited to 6 people, so you will require a 3BR which is typically 15360 pts. Now these points are for the standard resorts where the newer resorts require more points.

HVC trust TS system doesn't have a season or a deed. You just purchase points. One problem with that system is that your ownership is completely worthless after you make the retail purchase. So it will be even hard to give it away for free.

TS systems don't work very well for Europe. You certainly won't be able to do anything with only 5,000 pts. DEX can work somewhat for Europe, but I wouldn't plan on a month using only 5,000 pts. You certainly won't be able to travel around every day or two using your points. You can convert HGVC pts to Hilton Honors points but in general that is a poor use of points. Any other use of HGVC pts except TS stays is a poor use of points.

There is a way to get HGVC Elite status via resale by purchasing from a HGVC resale agent. Probably the best way is to purchase in Scotland at Craigendarroch via the HGVC resale agent there.

You can get DEX access if you purchase at Craigendarroch or a couple of the Florida Gulf resorts and enroll your week in DEX. Several of us have done this.

Yes, if you purchase additional ownership, then yes you will pay additional MFs. The recommended purchase with HGVC is to buy a deed with a low MFs/point ratio which is platinum season. Some of the Las Vegas resorts (Boulevard, Elara, Paradise) or Craigendarroch have some of the better MFs/pts ratios. You can also look at hgvcmfs.com for a report on the HGVC with the best MF (we are just starting to report 2025 so best to look at 2024).
Something I was told (and I do anyways) is even if the max occupancy says 5 people, I squeeze 7 people. It is, most of the time, difficult for me to find enough space.

I brought this question up and obviously the sales people said I could continue to do it and I wouldn’t get in any trouble.

I was thinking on traveling to EU with the extra 25k points plus borrowing 5k from the following year, giving me 35k, which I understand was good enough to spend a few weeks there. I was still going to struggle to find large spaces but that’s ok, some of my kids can sleep on the floor, if needed.

Regardless, I’ll rescind today and come back to research more and buy from resale to find the best deal for that Europe trip in a year or two.

Thank you all for the guidance.

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
After you rescind.

Take the time to learn about timeshares. This is not a 90-minute learning curve. If your hourly is $10,000/hour guess it’s not worth your time, but honestly half the fun is learning about what you can buy and how best to use it.

Then when you enjoy your vacations, you can invite friends, family, etc. and still be paying less that you would have been.

Just aware to optimize too much on timeshares has diminishing utility.

Try to set a reasonable goal like I was willing to pay $4,000/year in payments, how can I get more than I would have and how much better will it be than what I almost bought.

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
I was thinking on traveling to EU with the extra 25k points plus borrowing 5k from the following year, giving me 35k, which I understand was good enough to spend a few weeks there. I was still going to struggle to find large spaces but that’s ok, some of my kids can sleep on the floor, if needed.

Regardless, I’ll rescind today and come back to research more and buy from resale to find the best deal for that Europe trip in a year or two.

Thank you all for the guidance.
You can look up Hapimag. That might be a better Europe "fit" for you.

Once you buy a timeshare there can be bonus weeks at some places, some of the time, that might also work for you. MAX which I think the Scottland Timeshares can include migth also be an option.

Please just remember that timeshares are a waste of money, but you get to go on vacations... :)

We take more and better vacations thanks to this waste! :) Buy resale, Buy Platinum weeks and consider Craigendarroch (as GT75 said).

Not sure I'm supposed to post this, but these are the types of deals that are possible: https://www.craigendarroch.com/wp-content/uploads/CD-Website-Winter-2023-8-December-Update.pdf

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Something I was told (and I do anyways) is even if the max occupancy says 5 people, I squeeze 7 people.
People can and have been walked out of a HGV property for exceeding the max occupancy limits, so you are doing that at your own risk. It is not like hotels where they don't care. Some locations require wrist bands to use pools, etc. and will not give out more wristbands that max occupancy. Bottom line is that your salesperson lied to you when they said you would never get in trouble -- they were just telling you that to make a sale.

Kurt

Barefootdude

Reaction score
People can and have been walked out of a HGV property for exceeding the max occupancy limits, so you are doing that at your own risk. It is not like hotels where they don't care. Some locations require wrist bands to use pools, etc. and will not give out more wristbands that max occupancy. Bottom line is that your salesperson lied to you when they said you would never get in trouble -- they were just telling you that to make a sale.

Kurt
I didn’t know this and It is sad they do this to sell or maybe they just really don’t know as they may not be in the program.

I just faxed my cancellation letter and will mail the signed letter. Luckily for me, I am close to Las Vegas, which is the address provided for the cancellation.

Thank you again, Kurt.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding TUG in time to rescind and save 21k!

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
thoughts?
nothing against you BFD, b/c yours is much better than most, but these "new to this", "on a deadline" posts always display a huge cloud of confusion vented into the sales rooms. almost as if on purpose :eek:
"HGVC" ... "5,000 yearly points" ... "Hawaii collection" ...
Sorry Dave, does not compute. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

as for the 25,000 bonus points; if you're ever being sold again, and they get into the bonus pts, I would say "Screw that. You want to close a deal today? Here is the reservation(s) I would make with those pts. (pass the pre-written info on a pc of paper across). You give me a signed contract guaranteeing me those reservations in lieu of bonus pts."

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
What are your travel goals for Europe? If it's to stay in major cities so you can visit the most famous sites, timeshare probably isn’t the way to accomplish that. Many European timeshares are in places Europeans want to vacation….like in the mountains or beaches, not within the cities where they often live. We've been successful renting 2 bedroom apartments in Paris, London and other cities when we've traveled with our kids, so I expect you could find 3 bedrooms too. We prefer to use apartment rental agencies, when we can find them rather than VRBO, because they screen the places and have a representative in the city.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
It is sad they do this to sell
It's not just Hilton. At Marriott, I've been told things that didn't come true ("ownership levels are changing tomorrow!" and "Marriott is adding Hyatt properties Jan 1, 2024!") and most recently telling me I can not deposit a Marriott week into II and trade back into a Marriott property (simply isn't true.) I can look past these false statements and perform my own fact checking (by asking here on Tug) but I really disliked that once you are in, you have to learn the ins and outs of the program on your own. Thank goodness I found Tug for that.

Barefootdude

Reaction score
What are your travel goals for Europe? If it's to stay in major cities so you can visit the most famous sites, timeshare probably isn’t the way to accomplish that. Many European timeshares are in places Europeans want to vacation….like in the mountains or beaches, not within the cities where they often live. We've been successful renting 2 bedroom apartments in Paris, London and other cities when we've traveled with our kids, so I expect you could find 3 bedrooms too. We prefer to use apartment rental agencies, when we can find them rather than VRBO, because they screen the places and have a representative in the city.
This is exactly what I was researching. I noticed most timeshare locations were on beaches or club resorts far away from the cities and figured it was aimed to European owners.

This was another reason for me to cancel. I have looked into airbnbs and vrbo and most likely this will be my first option for Europe as I want to explore cities, historical places etc. prices are also not bad and much better than hotels.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Another option for many of the Countries in Europe is Self-Catering Cottages/Houses. Go to the National Tourist Site for the Country and search for Self-Catering. These are normally imspected by the Tourist Authority. VRBO and AirBnB can be a crap shoot.