• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Men caught on camera destroying protected rock formations at Lake Mead National Recreation Area

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)

Men caught on camera destroying protected rock formations at Lake Mead National Recreation Area​

“Why would you even do something like this, like why on Earth would you do this?,” questioned John Haynes, Public Information Officer Lake Mead National Recreation Area after seeing video of two men destroying in minutes what took nature millions of years to create.​

83630803-13307047-Authorities_are_on_the_hunt_for_a_pair_of_men_who_toppled_severa-m-2_1713135313758.jpg

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We saw two or three late teens/early 20s guys trying to do something similar on a trail in Zion last Friday. My husband was already fed up with some other poor behavior that we saw on the trail (amplified music and a large group of 30+ from Road Scholar that wouldn't let anyone pass) and boy, I thought that he was going to explode. He was calm but told them to stop - and they laughed at him, but they did stop. I truly hope that they find these men and make an example of them. What these guys did is not only destructive, if anyone is below (hiking, climbing) them they could be injured or killed.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at Blue Springs State Park in Florida in December. This is where the manatees "winter". Lots of mother manatees with babies.

There is a boardwalk that parallels the river so you can view the manatees.

Some dude takes off his shirt and starts to wade into the river to be near the manatees and to get a photo op. Signs EVERYWHERE posting that it's illegal.

My daughter was so appalled that she blocked him and told him to back off. I honestly was a bit worried that he was going to hit her. She took some pictures of him and then immediately got park staff notified.

Gratifying to see him handcuffed later in the parking lot.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I really don't get this at all. What a lot of effort to go destroy something. I think some people are just messed up in the head and like to cause problems and issues for others. Otherwise, if you just wanted to play in the dirt or knock over rocks you could go to some private property that isn't protected and go to town - I'm sure someone would rent some space for you somewhere. You could even get rocks stacked up for you to knock over probably.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sucks so bad. Not sure why the news station felt obligated to blur the vandals' faces. "They have not been charged" doesn't seem like a reasonable explanation. They need to be shown so they can be found and charged.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sucks so bad. Not sure why the news station felt obligated to blur the vandals' faces. "They have not been charged" doesn't seem like a reasonable explanation. They need to be shown so they can be found and charged.
News Stations can be sued for posting videos of people performing illegal acts before they are charged

Internet social media sites are not bound by the same rules

The two guys' faces are plastered all over various social media sites

beejaybee

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
News Stations can be sued for posting videos of people performing illegal acts before they are charged

There is an unpaid army of social media sleuths who track down people like these and help bring them to justice. Hope these fools are swiftly caught.
I was at Blue Springs State Park in Florida in December. This is where the manatees "winter". Lots of mother manatees with babies.

There is a boardwalk that parallels the river so you can view the manatees.

Some dude takes off his shirt and starts to wade into the river to be near the manatees and to get a photo op. Signs EVERYWHERE posting that it's illegal.

My daughter was so appalled that she blocked him and told him to back off. I honestly was a bit worried that he was going to hit her. She took some pictures of him and then immediately got park staff notified.

Good on your daughter! Our visit to Blue Springs to see the manatees is one of my travel highlights- no tourons there when we were!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is an unpaid army of social media sleuths who track down people like these and help bring them to justice. Hope these fools are swiftly caught.

Good on your daughter! Our visit to Blue Springs to see the manatees is one of my travel highlights- no tourons there when we were!
Isn't it a great place? Such sweet animals.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

What are the news stations sued for? There is no expectation of privacy nor anonymity in public. So long as the news stations don't falsely claim their actions are criminal, I don't see what they could be sued for. Anyone can post any video of people in public, and in fact, news agencies have wide latitude under the 1st Amendment.

Can you cite to a source for your claim?

Reactions: DrQ

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the news stations sued for? There is no expectation of privacy nor anonymity in public. So long as the news stations don't falsely claim their actions are criminal, I don't see what they could be sued for. Anyone can post any video of people in public, and in fact, news agencies have wide latitude under the 1st Amendment.

Can you cite to a source for your claim?
Nope
Some one told me a while back that broadcast tv was treated differently than social media when it used video where a crime might have been committed
If I am wrong
My Bad

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Why would you even do something like this,

Maybe treasure hunting for artifacts. Historically, the area which is Lake Mead was used by Native Americans until the time it was flooded. In our State, the Columbia River Dams flooded many historic sites including villages and gathering areas that were used for thousands of years. It is now illegal to remove artifacts but in the past many people collected things like arrow heads, coins, baskets, beads, stone tools and what ever.

Petrified wood is another item people hunt for. It is legal to collect a certain amount per day with a permit from the BLM. I think that there are fossils in the area too. Even if these activities are legal the shore line and the entire park is off limits.

Bill

Last edited:

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Maybe treasure hunting for artifacts.
By pushing rocks from the formations they’ve been part of for millions of years? Do you think they believed there might be artifacts underneath? When I saw the video, it reminded me of little kids pushing over a block tower just for grins.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By pushing rocks from the formations they’ve been part of for millions of years? Do you think they believed there might be artifacts underneath? When I saw the video, it reminded me of little kids pushing over a block tower just for grins.

It definitely could be grins.

The Lake Mead area has loads of artifacts, historical natural signatures and fossils. In-between the layers of rock might be anything. Once some one finds something they can easily get carried away. It's a fun activity that generates a sense of excitement in all ages. That being said, it isn't legal anymore in this area and probably any public lands areas.

Bill

https://www.nps.gov/features/lake/museum/artifacts-prehistory.html#3468-3467-3466

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good for your daughter and also scary. People are so volatile now.
My kiddo had a 40yo erratic driver full-on road-raging at him for about 8 miles of interstate driving. He called us, and by the time we gathered what was going on he only had 2 exits left before a rural stretch. We sent him in the direction of the nearest police station and had him call 911 before the exit. The dude followed him off, got out of his car (stopped at light at top of exit) and was pounding on son’s window yelling expletives and critiquing his driving. Scary stuff. Road rager turned back the other way on interstate but kiddo was pretty shook up. And thank God the road rager didn’t have a weapon. Glad the dispatcher was there to help keep our son calm, get him to safety, and record the incident.

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
My kiddo had a 40yo erratic driver full-on road-raging at him for about 8 miles of interstate driving. He called us, and by the time we gathered what was going on he only had 2 exits left before a rural stretch. We sent him in the direction of the nearest police station and had him call 911 before the exit. The dude followed him off, got out of his car (stopped at light at top of exit) and was pounding on son’s window yelling expletives and critiquing his driving. Scary stuff. Road rager turned back the other way on interstate but kiddo was pretty shook up. And thank God the road rager didn’t have a weapon. Glad the dispatcher was there to help keep our son calm, get him to safety, and record the incident.
Incredibly scary. Thank god he's ok -- and for cell phones.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I don't understand how people can get so mad that they would do more than flip a bird. I hope they catch this guy.

I had a guy pull out in front of me and block my lane. I think he was upset about something. I rolled the window down and smiled. He said excuse me sir and then took off. Must be my hair color, lol.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Too bad Momma Bear not able to protect her Cubs.