• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Medicare announces lower prices on 10 common, high-cost drugs

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
What the big print giveth, the small print taketh away:
"The prices won't take effect until 2026,"​

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
As I recall, the underlying legislation features a reduction/cap on 10 drugs each year, starting in 2026. However, it capped insulin starting in 2023, and also lowered the price of adult vaccines starting in 2023. I'm no expert, but this legislation has multiple components and is designed for a structured roll-out with some components kicking in each year. So yes, it's disappointing that this phase is not starting until 2026, but it's common knowledge.

Please don't @ me with your superior knowledge of politics & science - I'm not interested in a debate. ;)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
After his open heart surgery in November, Rod started taking Xarelto, so this will help us. Currently, we're paying $504 after his prescription coverage.
Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 11.30.04 AM.png

Last edited:

eschjw

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
Before I got on Medicare, I gave myself shots of Enbrel and I had a $35 copay per month on my insurance. When I went on Medicare the part D cost jumped to over $6,000 a month. The doctors move you to drugs like Remicade which require infusions in a medical setting costing $6,500 and 80% is covered under Medicare part B. My Medigap policy pays the rest and my only cost is the yearly deductible.

When I first heard about the change for 2026, Enbrel was going to be covered under Medicare Part B. Based on what I just read it is still going to be under Part D. Medicare would save about $2,000 a month if I could just give myself the weekly shots under Part B. Bummer!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
After his open heart surgery in November, Rod started taking Xarelto, so this will help us. Currently, we're paying $504 after his prescription coverage.
View attachment 97963
My brother in law also on that drug. I was so happy to see this news. who knows, we can end up on these drugs.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
View attachment 97963
Man, like @eschjw said, I don't know how prescription drug coverage is over ~$90 every 3 months if you've got a medicare prescription plan.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Man, like @eschjw said, I don't know how prescription drug coverage is over ~$90 every 3 months if you've got a medicare prescription plan.
Not sure what you mean, but I spend well,over $2000 a year on prescriptions and I have a pretty good plan with no high cost drugs.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I just mean that Medicare should not be worse than common commercial plans. I know they often are, just saying that with the size of it, it ought to be able to match any commercial insurers group rates if the world was just.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just mean that Medicare should not be worse than common commercial plans. I know they often are, just saying that with the size of it, it ought to be able to match any commercial insurers group rates if the world was just.
Not only that, but if you acre over a certain income, you pay IRMA on your prescription plan cost to.

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before I got on Medicare, I gave myself shots of Enbrel and I had a $35 copay per month on my insurance. When I went on Medicare the part D cost jumped to over $6,000 a month. The doctors move you to drugs like Remicade which require infusions in a medical setting costing $6,500 and 80% is covered under Medicare part B. My Medigap policy pays the rest and my only cost is the yearly deductible.

When I first heard about the change for 2026, Enbrel was going to be covered under Medicare Part B. Based on what I just read it is still going to be under Part D. Medicare would save about $2,000 a month if I could just give myself the weekly shots under Part B. Bummer!

The way I read it your total out of pocket cost should be $2000/ year in 2025 and can be paid in monthly instalments. Worth looking into.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
The way I read it your total out of pocket cost should be $2000/ year in 2025 and can be paid in monthly instalments. Worth looking into.

Yes this change for 2025 will eliminate the doughnut hole and is a welcome change. Currently the hole lasts until you have paid $8,000 out of pocket. My total out of pocket drug costs this year will be around $1,000 and my insurance cost for 2024 will be less than $400.

It will be interesting to learn how much insurance will cost for my formulary with and without Enbrel in 2025. I may decide it is worth the money for the convenience of using Enbrel. My wife has one very expensive drug and she will go deep into the doughnut hole with about $6,000 out of pocket for 2024. The new 2025 $2,000 out of pocket limit should save her about $4,000 a year. The big unknown is how much the insurance costs will go up.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice of the drug makers to have agreed to lower prices. I have read about people using Canadian pharmacies and going to Mexico to get their RX's for le$$.

I saw an orthopedic surgeon yesterday and he said Medicare keeps dropping the reimbursement for them. He had a friend testifying before Congress recently about this, but said the Lobbies for the big players have a lot more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to spend on lobbying .

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was scheduled for Petscan next Friday. Received call yesterday that my Aetna Medicare advantage has denied it. I can have a Catscan next april. I guess they know more than my oncologist,vwho appealed it and was denied

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Insurance Companies should be sued for practicing medicine without a license! :unsure::mad:
They are the ones running everything now , they make the decisions . Lots of expensive lawyers helping them

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was scheduled for Pet scan next Friday. Received call yesterday that my Aetna Medicare Advantage has denied it. I can have a Cat scan next april. I guess they know more than my oncologist, who appealed it and was denied
Stuff like this reinforces our decision to avoid Advantage and stick with original Medicare plus Medigap plans. Yeah, it costs a heck of a lot more, but we and our docs call the shots (so to speak).

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
One reason for this on the medication side had to do with the fact that prior to this legislation, Medicare had to pay the list price for medications. The manufacturers raised prices however they wish and Medicare, by law, couldn't negotiate.
Commercial plans always negotiated and never paid list price.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stuff like this reinforces our decision to avoid Advantage and stick with original Medicare plus Medigap plans. Yeah, it costs a heck of a lot more, but we and our docs call the shots (so to speak).
Following my surgery and during radiation I was given tramadol. I was allowed to refill my prescription one time. With that refill came a notice that they were allowing this refill but would definitely not be allowed any more refills. I never was able to take pain meds before, didn’t like the effects, but the pain in my mouth was so great that I was swishing lidocaine all day. I don’t know if all prescription plans are like this, but again my Medicare advantage plan restrictions

Last edited:

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Autocorrect did a number on you post there :) .
I guess you were trying to write "tramadol". If it is, what you likely ran into was effort to reduce the "indiscriminate" prescription of opioids. Those in pain are understandably not particularly excited about those restrictions.
A prior authorization would get you the tramadol.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Autocorrect did a number on you post there :) .
I guess you were trying to write "tramadol". If it is, what you likely ran into was effort to reduce the "indescriminate" prescription of opioids. Those in pain are understandably not particularly excited about those restrictions.
A prior authorization would get you the tramadol.
Thanks , I didn’t notice The correction.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Following my surgery and during radiation I was given tramadol. I was allowed to refill my prescription one time...
Don't get me started on Tramadol...
Last year, when DW had knee surgery, her old-school surgeon gave us paper prescriptions. I fortuitously copied them before taking them to the pharmacy. One was for "60" Tramadol.

An idiot clerk at CVS somehow put "3" in their 'puter in place of 60, so that is what their doofus pharmacist issued without checking. I quickly returned it with my copy of the Rx, I asked, "How do you take 4 x a day, with only 3 pills? Can you see the steam coming out of my ears?" and made the motion of steam coming out.

steved2psi

TUG Member
Reaction score

I replaced Enbrel with Cimzia. I get monthly shot in Drs office. Part B. Works better in my opinion.

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice of the drug makers to have agreed to lower prices. I have read about people using Canadian pharmacies and going to Mexico to get their RX's for le$$.
It was not "nice" of the drug makers to lower prices. The current president's Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 allowed Medicare (the country's biggest drug purchaser), for the first time, to negotiate prices and to reduce and eventually eliminate the "donut hole." Definitely a big help for us oldsters!