• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
HECK YES. I alway do, especially when I want a specific table (location, location, location).
Things are very busy and reservations are a must well before any trip. OpenTable accepts reservations well ahead,
but Resy sometimes only accepts reservations a week or two prior, but do what you can NOW.
And if you want to go somewhere that doesn't take reservations, get the concierge to do "Call Ahead" at least 1-2 days ahead.
They only allot a few spots each night and it's priceless in that you may avoid a 60-90 minute wait.

P.S....not sure how you missed Frankie Bones on my list....it's a favorite for sure, and we always enjoy it there...
huge menu and a VERY enjoyable experience. It's different but great in its own unique way!
For Frankie Bones, make reservations further in advance than most of the others.

thanks. I didn’t pull up the list, I admit. I was on a work break skimming the thread. And I just made Frankie Bones res on open table. I want to take my guests to One Hot Mommas for the chocolate ribs! Looking into that now. And of course Dockside. Yum!
Thanks everyone!

Reactions: jme

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. So I just called Surfwatch concierge to ask about a call ahead for One Hot Momma’s and was told that One Hot Momma’s no longer accepts call ahead arrangements. Just letting you guys know. Have a great day,

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hi. So I just called Surfwatch concierge to ask about a call ahead for One Hot Momma’s and was told that One Hot Momma’s no longer accepts call ahead arrangements. Just letting you guys know. Have a great day,

Hmmm, if true that's a new development. We got call-ahead only a month ago. OHM stays packed all the time, so if they've eliminated it,
it's not shocking. Thanks for the heads-up DeeCee.
Hope you're having a good time anyway!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hmmm, if true that's a new development. We got call-ahead only a month ago. OHM stays packed all the time, so if they've eliminated it,
it's not shocking. Thanks for the heads-up DeeCee.
Hope you're having a good time anyway!
Perhaps too many no shows.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Spent several days in Hilton Head a week ago, and as usual I continued my mission, some say obsession, to chip away at Marty's list (I know I'll never get to them all but Im trying). I tried several new places and was very pleasantly surprised with Bad Bisquit and Watusi Cafe. Also enjoyed my first visit to the Frosty Frog for a late lunch. Bad Bisquit may give Kenny B's a run for my favorite breakfast spot! I also noticed what I think is a new restaurant in Shelter Cove called the "Chophouse?". Anyone been? Many thanks, as always to Marty for the list.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
For those of you looking forward to the Serg discount book for Dec-Feb, it won't be happening this year. They are hoping to do it again for next year.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
For those of you looking forward to the Serg discount book for Dec-Feb, it won't be happening this year. They are hoping to do it again for next year.

Thanks for that report, Pat.
We're at HH now----- I'll check on that, but I can certainly understand SERG's reluctance to run that "special".....Times are tough, and they need the business, and not at a discount!
We'll be dining at a SERG restaurant next week.
I'm OK with it, but it WAS a nice perk for the off-season while it lasted....it must have been in place for at least 10+ years.
BTW, we had a great meal tonight at Santa Fe, our favorite, and now have a remaining stellar dining line-up for the next 4 nights,
then a couple of "wing it" nights. Can't believe we're here, it's gorgeous, and the island is quite busy. No slacking off here.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
From time to time I may want to share an unusually great meal at a top-rated Hilton Head restaurant, because it helps to see what you might
also experience should you go there. It's like seeing someone's face for the first time----it helps to have that image in your mind.

With that in mind, we just returned from another stellar dinner at Alfred's.
https://www.alfredshhi.com/
KEEP SCROLLING DOWN V V V V V to see some food examples.
Awesome MENU with a good variety of items.
I once erroneously thought Alfred's had exclusively German food, but that was never true.
I would describe the menu as German & "other", and the other things are to die for.

Alfred's one of those fine, fine sleeper spots that has not had ENOUGH talk.....but a place that surely merits it.

It's perhaps the smallest restaurant on the island, so the atmosphere is therefore very intimate and romantic.
Knowledgeable and discriminating locals are fiercely loyal repeat patrons, which is another indication of its continued well-deserved position
atop the list of best restaurants on the island. And yet, you may never hear it advertised. But you'll never be disappointed.

Right now Alfred's holds down a top-10 position on my list for "Fine Dining", but I will officially acknowledge at this time
that it SHOULD be included as another "top-5 restaurant" on my list.
That makes SIX top-5s, but what can I say? We are lucky to have so many great ones, and I'm convinced that this one is due all accolades.
I'll give it a tie with the other top-5s, and propose a toast to the owners and staff for their great work.
Chef Heath (a co-owner along with his wife Linda) is fantastic. Server William is perfect in all he does....executes everything to perfection.
As for the menu, close your eyes and pick---everything is delicious. I'm going to try it all.

So, here goes........pics of our dinner this evening.

***Wife had the Halibut Special....crabmeat on top, spinach underneath, and a rich delicious sauce.
Halibut is a favorite of ours, and you can seldom go wrong with it. Chef Heath does a marvelous job with it.
In fact, we've sort of done a "Halibut Tour" of the island, and you can find awesome halibut at Ombra,
Ela's, Nunzio, The Pearl, Michael Anthony's, and Alfred's.....they are all great....
Alfred's version is no less spectacular, and in fact is on a par with Ombra's, which means it's among the absolute best.
It's usually a "special" at each restaurant when they can get fresh halibut, of course.

***I had the Escargot appetizer .....as delicious as I've ever had.
and the Veal Scaloppini......as good an entree as I've ever had.

Top plate: Potato Crusted Halibut.
Bottom plate: Veal Scaloppini.
And to the right, my German Warsteiner beer.
(distortion---that Halibut portion is actually much larger, the Veal Scaloppini portion is slightly smaller but not much!
and the glass is really VERY TALL.
1639873807400.png

HALIBUT.......Crab meat, spinach, chardonnay cream sauce.
1639874648053.png

my ESCARGOT with crostinis...Mmmmmm, delicious! and dunking afterward is the thing! OMG!
a GERMAN Warsteiner beer is a light one that goes great with my choices.
1639874973376.png

VEAL SCALOPPINI......3 Veal filets, mushrooms, light cream sauce, spätzle (a German pasta).
1639875159537.png

1639875782452.png

Server William is superb, and make sure to speak to the co-owner Linda who will be present and visible.
Chef Heath will be busy behind the grill.

Enjoy if you have the chance.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marty,
Thanks for the great reco. We love Halibut so we will have to try Albert's in January. The best halibut I've ever had was at the Whitefish Lake Restaurant during our trip to Glacier Park last September. It was so good that we went back the following night.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Quickly, another TWO awesome meals this week.........Santa Fe and Ela's.

First, our favorite restaurant on the island, Santa Fe. I alternate right now between the Blackened Redfish and the Cowboy Cut Ribeye.
As soon as we sat down at our favorite table (we don't even request it anymore---they just automatically hold it
and take us there when we arrive), Chef Dave called out to me from the Chef's grill, "Redfish or Steak?".........
I replied "Steak, and tonight Blackened".
Wife ordered one of her favorites, Beef Burrito. She alternates between that and their signature Grouper.
Of course we had the best of the best Chips and Salsa first.
1640017799529.png

1640017876764.png

and Ela's......it's on the second level of the building, elevator available, all overlooking Shelter Cove Harbor.
Ela's has perhaps the best view of any place on the island....harbor, boats, beautiful lighting.
As elegant as it gets. Everything's perfect.
1640018040839.png

We arrived early...... 30 minutes later it was packed.
From our favorite semi-circular BOOTH, offering the best view of any table. Location, location.
1640018210310.png

Swordfish Special (delicious).....and Lobster Tail (awesome, per my wife---she would't share, lol)....both over Risotto,
mine also had Broccolini.
1640018364965.png

************************************************************************************

BUT WAIT...there's MORE...............

LUNCH at JANE BISTRO today.......
Split Pea Soup & their famous Chicken Salad with craisins....it's delicious....
Jane Bistro is one of the top lunch spots on my list, and frankly we think it's THE BEST lunch spot.
Soups and sandwiches are great.
1640036234562.png

1640036267726.png

**************************************************************************************

Dinner tonight at GUSTO

We dined early, and were only the second table to be seated.
I had the "Pork Special" over mashed potatoes, wife had Fettuccine alla Bolognese, both wonderful.
My pork as shown, unbelievably, was one single large portion of meat (served on a long platter--compare the two plates!).
It was breaded & tenderized by pounding like veal is often done, per the server...It was huge, and was as tender as veal.
The dark brown sauce was delicious. Mashed potatoes were under the pork and not visible in photo,
but was a substantial portion. We both had a glass of Prosecco. Pasto delizioso!

1640046469789.png

1640046542900.png

1640046586183.png

Last edited:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Marty

You're really rubbing it in for us less fortunate folks who cannot be there. ;)

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will have 6 adults and 1 'tween' for mid-January, early Friday evening.

We don't wish to go down as far as Sea Pines (my brother staying at Surfwatch).

We'd like some water views, but not 'fine dining'.

So far, after looking at this thread (I have for years now), I was thinking San Miguels, (but have Santa Fe, Old Oyster Factory and Elas for the other folks to consider).

Thanks,
Pat

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We will have 6 adults and 1 'tween' for mid-January, early Friday evening.

We don't wish to go down as far as Sea Pines (my brother staying at Surfwatch).

We'd like some water views, but not 'fine dining'.

So far, after looking at this thread (I have for years now), I was thinking San Miguels, (but have Santa Fe, Old Oyster Factory and Elas for the other folks to consider).
Thanks,
Pat

I'm gearing this toward the specific criteria in your post.

(BTW, we're at Grande Ocean now, first of 16 nights, although I'll be returning home during the week days to work....under 2.5 hr drive.
Wife will have a couple of friends here during the weekdays.)

Advice for WATER VIEWS ----look up all these online and check out the menus and the pics.
It's a daunting task, but you have a LOT to choose from.

Seafood: Old Oyster Factory is a good one (gorgeous views), so is Skull Creek Boathouse or Skull Creek Dockside
(both have nice but slightly limited inland waterway views from the tables).
Fishcamp is excellent as well and very popular (inside or outside---fun!).......and perhaps a step-up in atmosphere etc, albeit a smaller place.
Black Marlin is also a good solid choice --- also a step-up in menu and atmosphere (limited water view, but it's alongside a body of water
which can be seen from the outside deck).
For Mexican, we always enjoyed San Miguels in Shelter Cove too, and it has a wonderful harbor view all along the Shelter Cove spots.
Poseidon in Towne Center is a very nice place for a group, and altho there's no true water view, the upper floor bar
looks out over the inland waterway from a distance. Just a very nice place, busy, busy!

For very, very, very casual seafood, and perhaps not the "greatest" seafood but still good seafood,
there's Hudson's or Crazy Crab (Jarvis Creek location out Hwy 278)..... both popular but more touristy and normal run-of-the-mill seafood.

You mentioned Ela's, but rest assured, it's very fine dining only!
BUT...... if ever "elegant and awesome fine dining" is what you want, Ela's is highly recommended.
We'll be dining there next week and the week after, with two different sets of friends (celebrating dual anniversaries with the second couple).
One of the best restaurants anywhere, and absolutely in the top 3-4 restaurants on the island.

You mentioned Santa Fe...OK, you got me.....no water view, but who cares?
It's my wife's and my favorite restaurant on the island. First night after arriving at Hilton Head, you'll always find us at Santa Fe.
You can pretend your glass of water qualifies as a water view, if only to justify going because of your criteria.
And it's casual. Somewhere in-between fine dining and very casual, like Fishcamp.
Higher tier than the normal "very casual", yet great fine-dining type food... Perfect.
Enjoy.

P.S.....(We dined at Santa Fe last night! Always amazing.)

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quickly, another TWO awesome meals this week.........Santa Fe and Ela's.

First, our favorite restaurant on the island, Santa Fe. I alternate right now between the Blackened Redfish and the Cowboy Cut Ribeye.
As soon as we sat down at our favorite table (we don't even request it anymore---they just automatically hold it
and take us there when we arrive), Chef Dave called out to me from the Chef's grill, "Redfish or Steak?".........
I replied "Steak, and tonight Blackened".
Wife ordered one of her favorites, Beef Burrito. She alternates between that and their signature Grouper.
Of course we had the best of the best Chips and Salsa first.
View attachment 43959
View attachment 43960

and Ela's......it's on the second level of the building, elevator available, all overlooking Shelter Cove Harbor.
Ela's has perhaps the best view of any place on the island....harbor, boats, beautiful lighting.
As elegant as it gets. Everything's perfect.
View attachment 43961

We arrived early...... 30 minutes later it was packed.
From our favorite semi-circular BOOTH, offering the best view of any table. Location, location.
View attachment 43962

Swordfish Special (delicious).....and Lobster Tail (awesome, per my wife---she would't share, lol)....both over Risotto,
mine also had Broccolini.
View attachment 43964
************************************************************************************

BUT WAIT...there's MORE...............

LUNCH at JANE BISTRO today.......
Split Pea Soup & their famous Chicken Salad with craisins....it's delicious....
Jane Bistro is one of the top lunch spots on my list, and frankly we think it's THE BEST lunch spot.
Soups and sandwiches are great.
View attachment 43984
View attachment 43985
**************************************************************************************

Dinner tonight at GUSTO

We dined early, and were only the second table to be seated.
I had the "Pork Special" over mashed potatoes, wife had Fettuccine alla Bolognese, both wonderful.
My pork as shown, unbelievably, was one single large portion of meat (served on a long platter--compare the two plates!).
It was breaded & tenderized by pounding like veal is often done, per the server...It was huge, and was as tender as veal.
The dark brown sauce was delicious. Mashed potatoes were under the pork and not visible in photo,
but was a substantial portion. We both had a glass of Prosecco. Pasto delizioso!

View attachment 43989

View attachment 43990

View attachment 43991
Is that the same Chef Dave that is famous for his Hilton Islands seafood meals.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Is that the same Chef Dave that is famous for his Hilton Islands seafood meals.

Probably not the same, as there have been 2-3 chefs around Hilton Head who are named "David" in the past few years.
But I've never known of any one of those who wasn't VERY talented.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Being at HH this weekend, it's astonishing to see how crowded the restaurants are.....Even one of the front desk people
at Grande Ocean remarked that he doesn't think there's an "off season" anymore, which is what I've been saying for 2-3 years now.
Occupancy is much higher than ever before, and people are simply flocking here.
But it's all good. It's every bit as enjoyable as any other time----still no shortage of things to do and see.

Last edited:

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being at HH this weekend, it's astonishing to see how crowded the restaurants are.....Even one of the front desk people
at Grande Ocean remarked that he doesn't think there's an "off season" anymore, which is what I've been saying for 2-3 years now.
Occupancy is much higher than ever before, and people are simply flocking here.
But it's all good. It's every bit as enjoyable as any other time----still no shortage of things to do and see.

I would assume with the lack of International travel, that every resort area is picking up the extra visitors.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I would assume with the lack of International travel, that every resort area is picking up the extra visitors.

no doubt about it

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
no doubt about it
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of visitors are escaping a locked down area or cold weather. I look forward to my visit next weekend for four weeks. I plan to do a lot of carryout meals and will probably eat at Alfred's when my brother is there due to your recommendation. That now makes three great restaurants in that complex: Santa Fe, Alfred's, and Sea Grass Grill.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize this is the dining thread, but has anyone tried the Costco in Savannah? I noticed that it is now open.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
More and more people (me included) are working remote, and January is a lot nicer in HH than where I live. Nowhere near as busy as Florida. I would suggest that this is the new norm for Hilton Head.