• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Loving Newport coast villas.......

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Hello,

I'm here at Newport Coast Villas on an encore package and I loooove it. The weather is perfect and the atmosphere is comfortable. I'm not buying from the developer but I would like to return here for longer stays so I'm considering resale points. Can someone point me in the right direction to understanding if summer weeks here will be obtainable if I purchase points on the secondary market. I have a Grande Vista week and am currently waiting for the closing of an Aruba Surf Club week (both purchased on secondary market).

Thanks,

Trudy

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you love NCV, it is both cheaper to buy and pay much lower MF for a NCV platinum week than to own points to reserve NCV during the summer.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'd suggest doing what we did, just buy a resale week. For about $5,000 you can buy a gold ( spring) week at NCV and easily reserve any week in gold season ( Jan - early June) and if the spring isn't when you want to be at NCV this week easily trades into most fall weeks (late sept - dec) Your MFs will be about $1200. Also as an owner at NCV, you get first pick of room location even when you trade in.

If you buy points (even resale) Resale pts will cost you about $7 /pt or $21,000 for the about 3000 pts (2900) to reserve a week from late sept till late May. MFs on 3000 pts will be $1550 (note resale pts are about $5/pt and MVC charges $2/pt to transfer them to your name)

You may wish to buy resale pts if you want to go to the many different MVC resorts BUT IMHO if you want to visit NCV yearly ( we come twice a year with our 2 gold weeks) buy a resale week. You'll save $16,000 up front and $300 /yr in MFs.

Hope this helps

We enjoy a walk on the beach every morning during our stays at NCV

Bill4728

Reaction score
If you love NCV, it is both cheaper to buy and pay much lower MF for a NCV platinum week than to own points to reserve NCV during the summer.
Platinum weeks are great but reserving in the summer months is really hard. So you pay an extra $3k for platinum over gold and get a fall week that is easy to trade into with your spring week.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it has been reported that it is diffcult to reserve in summer months but I have friends who own NCV platinum weeks and they have never had difficulty reserving right when the reservation window opens.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am a teacher on the east coast so the summer is the only time I can visit for at least 10 days. Am I understanding correctly that if I purchase a platinum resale week it will still be difficult to reserve a summer weak?

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacationforever,
Your response is giving me hope.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hello,

I'm here at Newport Coast Villas on an encore package and I loooove it. The weather is perfect and the atmosphere is comfortable. I'm not buying from the developer but I would like to return here for longer stays so I'm considering resale points. Can someone point me in the right direction to understanding if summer weeks here will be obtainable if I purchase points on the secondary market. I have a Grande Vista week and am currently waiting for the closing of an Aruba Surf Club week (both purchased on secondary market).
Thanks,Trudy

Sorry, but wrong. You can buy SEVERAL weeks there for what you'd foolishly spend on points.

Maybe 4-6 ownership weeks for the $$,$$$ amount on points that "might" give you 2 weeks at NCV.

And if you own several, you can EASILY book all the summer weeks you want. Even if you only own two. Frankly, even if you only own one, if you can click a key on a laptop you can book anything you want. It's a matter of knowing how to do it on Booking Day.

Beautiful resort, one of the best, do this right.

Currently, there's a floating Platinum resale week on Redweek.com for $9000 (probably negotiable). Listed by reputable agent Sam Rodriquez, partner of Seth Nock, both well-known and honest agents. I bought a high-end Grande Ocean week a couple of years ago from Sam very cheaply....great agent, great listings, great prices.

[Link to Redweek ad deleted.]

Last edited by a moderator:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the math: An average week in summer at NCV takes 4725 DC points to book. Resale points cost around $7 per point, bring it to close to $33K to buy. You can buy a platinum week, even through Marriott resales department for around $14K per week, cheaper if you buy from the private market. MF for NCV is around $1.3K per week. At 4725 DC points, MF is around $2,613.

Reactions: jme

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So basically I need to purchase 2 resale platinum weeks at NCV to get the 13 month reservation window?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
So basically I need to purchase 2 resale platinum weeks at NCV to get the 13 month reservation window?
Yes, unless you want to reserve your other Marriott weeks consecutively or concurrently, which doesn't sound workable given their locations. If you use one of them as a trader, it could work.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our family loves Newport Coast Villas - I was able to locate about 6 years ago (resale) a week 26 (guaranteed 4th of July week) which I am not sure would work for you as a teacher, but if so - it's awesome because it is guaranteed that week and if you can't go that week you can try to secure another summer week. We paid about 15-16K for it back then -- if that doesn't work I agree with the other posters just try for a standard week at 9K. If you do buy destination points you will have an easier time getting a reservation, IMO, but they are costly. We own a combo of weeks and points and it works really well for us.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have seen some amazing exchanges to Newport Coast, but I haven't been lucky enough to get anything in late June-July, even via ongoing searches set well in advance. I think a person would really need to buy the two weeks to get two July dates. You can always rent the second one for fees + a big of profit. Most owners rent July weeks for $1,600+. What are the fees for NCV?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Yes, but only buy RESALE weeks on the open market (as I think you're understanding), like on Redweek,
and NOT thru Marriott......No need to involve Marriott, since you're not buying points (and hopefully never will).

You can do a lot ...lot....lot with those 2 weeks (for example).....you'll have the 13-month booking advantage,
and work several options off that booking, such as occupying both, occupying one + renting one, occupying one and trading one,
or renting both and using that cash for another nice trip somewhere when interests and needs change!

That's what we're doing....something different every year,
sometimes utilizing 6 consecutive weeks at Grande Ocean during June/July
(plus other resorts)....imagine our options!!!! And some of our weeks are enrolled, so we have fun just planning stuff.
We added resale weeks and will save tons while traveling to various expensive destinations here and abroad,
while still having time at Grande Ocean.

Last edited:

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh, my mind is already working on the scenarios that have been shared figuring out how I can vacation like a real tugger. 6 weeks sounds like heaven.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Am I correct in thinking that the 13 month booking will only be applicable to NCV?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that the 13 month booking will only be applicable to NCV?

13 month booking is applicable to all Marriott timeshares. You must use 2 separate units/units and book them either consecutively or concurrently. If the timeshares can be locked off into a studio and a 1BR, you may book a studio from one timeshare and a 1BR or studio from another timeshare ownership. But the weeks that are booked have to be back to back or concurrently. NCV does not lock off, so if you own 2 weeks you will need to book them back to back or for the same week. Different check in days are OK but obviously they need to overlap.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, I currently have a MGV and soon will have Marriott Aruba Surf Club. Would I be able to use both of these and reserve 2 consecutive or concurrent weeks at a resort? Or do I need to own 2 weeks at the same resort?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I currently have a MGV and soon will have Marriott Aruba Surf Club. Would I be able to use both of these and reserve 2 consecutive or concurrent weeks at a resort? Or do I need to own 2 weeks at the same resort?
They can be from different resorts. If you only have 1 of each, then yes you will need to use both.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glad to know that. Will 13 month owners at the location have preference over me?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Glad to know that. Will 13 month owners at the location have preference over me?

You have worded your 2 questions such that they were confusing to me, inferring that one option might be to use those 2 weeks and book consecutive weeks at ANY resort including at other resorts, since you said "at a resort", but that option is not available. I wanted to clarify.

If you simply meant "can you reserve two consecutive weeks at different resorts you already own?", then the answer is YES, you can, if and only if their schedules overlap.

I knew you were interested in Newport Coast Villas, but not sure how these two new questions fit in....Maybe they were just additional random questions? Obviously these are not relevant to NCV unless you OWN at NCV through a purchase.

When you book at MGV or Aruba, you are an owner at each, as much as anyone else, and no other owner will have any preference over you at those resorts. That question was also confusing because I'm not sure how your concern about preference fits in, if you were talking somehow about Newport again.

I was somehow trying to get you to Newport, maybe consecutively(?), then you brought up the other two weeks, so I thought you were thinking you could somehow use those other two weeks to accomplish it.

Forgive me if I'm reading something wacky into your questions. I've had way too much turkey and dressing......I knew I should have added MORE wine.

What exactly are you wishing to do, i.e., how many weeks per year and at what destinations?
Whatever it is, I hope you will only consider buying resale at those locations.

Newport Coast Villas is an awesome resort in a most wonderful setting----the views of the Pacific are spectacular, unique & unsurpassed in the Marriott system, and the area is a ton of fun.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No. Booking is first come first served. An owner at a resort has priority views over traders. Multi week owner at the same resort may have higher priority for views over single week owner, but no one really knows. But there are so many great views at NCV and I would not worry over views.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
To summarize the above 2 responses: you can only reserve a week at a resort you own. Trading and villa preference are entirely different matters and unrelated to the 13 month question (except at resorts that give villa preference based on when you reserved.)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
No. Booking is first come first served. An owner at a resort has priority views over traders. Multi week owner at the same resort may have higher priority for views over single week owner, but no one really knows. But there are so many great views at NCV and I would not worry over views.

NCV has a reputation of placing repeat snowbirds who spend weeks every winter at the resort into the best units. Some of those repeat owners can practically bank on being placed into the exact same unit every year for weeks on end. That leaves the single-week owners in the unfortunate, and what I consider unfair, position of knowing that if they visit in the winter they don't have a chance of getting a good placement.

I don't know if the same happens with summer placements at NCV but regardless, it's the last resort I would think of when discussing fairness in unit placement. (And as far as I can remember, Maui Ocean Club and maybe a couple other Hawaii resorts are the only Marriott ones that do placements based on booking dates.)

OP, there's some good info here starting around Post #30 about the 13-mos Reservation Window for Weeks: Planning to purchase Marriott and had a few clarifying questions

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have traded into NCV through II several times and while we did not get the beat placements, we still had decent views. I do believe being a Marriott owner helps, even though we traded in.