• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Links and VPNs

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
FYI, whenever I use a vpn to access TUG (which is often, since I use one when traveling) I am unable to access any of the links from TUG posts. Many services are now blocking use of VPNs, and it seems that’s now true for TUG as well.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I don't think TUG is blocking the links, it would be the end link location. I almost always browse with a VPN and what I usually find more annoying is regional blocks or assumptions. It's OK if I can easily say, no I do want the US / english site, but Google for instance can be tenacious that you must want whatever its default is for the country you're exiting from.

I'll also say that the blocking really does vary by VPN provider and service level. I pay for a backup dedicated IP which tends to avoid the "this is a VPN endpoint IP" blocks, but of course is more closely tied to me.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i know of no configuration or setting on TUG that would identify or block your access using a VPN.

about the only thing i could think of would be an IP based block for known spammer/scammer subnets/ips/etc...perhaps that vpn assigned you one of those?

specifically what links are you clicking on and what message does it give you instead of loading the page?

do you mean via the newsletter? or just browsing within the forum? does the main forum page load?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes, it varies by VPN provider. When I use my own servers VPN I’m fine… but when using a commercial VPN provider any link within a TUG post is prevented from proceeding.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im still not quite sure what you mean by "link within a tug post"? on the forum? via the newsletter? external links outside of tuG?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yeah, a post on tugbbs. A link that anyone includes in their comment.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ok… I just tested again and isolated it to Tapatalk. So this is not a TUG issue, sorry, I’ll pursue over at Tapatalk and see if they know.