• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Leaving for Harborside tomorrow!

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Quick question...When leaving from the Nassau International airport, do they have customs and immigration pre-clearance for US flights...OR do we have to get our luggage off the plane at our first entry into the US? Thanks!!

Carolyn

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolyn, ... Good question. I think so. When I got back to JFK (1st entry) from Nassau last December, I think I just got off the plane. Our baggage was checked all the way home. No showing my passport. No customs declaration that I remember. But, I do remember wrong more often as I get older.

I do remember three, separate security checks at the Nassau airport - one by US; one by Bahamian officials; then, another one right as we boarded the plane. I also remember showing my passport at all three.

When my wife and I arrived in Nassau, we got in a LONG line to clear Bahamian immigration. Then, we picked up our checked luggage. Walked right by the Bahamian customs people with it. No questions at all.

Maybe somebody else can validate or correct my memory.

BTW, despite my protests, my wife bought 6 bottles of rum thinking she could carry them on the plane. She quickly found out she couldn't. But, we put all 6 in our checked luggage wrapped in dirty clothes and every single one got home with no leaks. I was shocked. :clap: ... eom

ljwhit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Customs and immigration are done in Nassau. It can be a lengthy process if your are leaving during peak times, so its best to give yourself a full 2 hours if not 2-1/2 to get thru it all. Its going to take about 1/2 hour to get from Harborside to the airport (if your lucky) so add that in when figuring what time to leave the resort. I've lucked out time and time again getting thru the airport but have heard many many stories where 2-1/2 hours still was barely enough.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
They do pre-clearance in NAS...and when we came back a couple of weeks ago it was NOT fun. VERY long lines, multiple bag scans (once before clearing U.S. immigration/customs and once after), and VERY grouchy people. Just behind us there was a line cutting incident that had the U.S. agents screaming at people from their desks (where they check passports).

Also, FYI, there are almost NO food options post security. One small, not appetizing food shop, and one gift shop with candy and popcorn. Given the lack of food on most flights these days and the amount of time you must arrive before your flight, another not so fun experience. We had a flight about 12:30 so it seemed a bit early to grab lunch at 10am as we left Harborside on our way to the airport. Yet once we were there, there were no food options which meant no real food until about 3pm when we landed in ATL for a connection.

Grin, bare it, and reflect on the wonderful vacation you just had. That's how I got through it! :D

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
ocdb8r, ... The food beyond security in the NAS airport is inedible. I'd bring in a sandwich from somewhere on the way to the airport, try to sneak it through and buy a sealed bottle of something once I'm past security.

Or, buy and open an expensive souvenir rum cake at a kiosk past security and wolf it down.

You are right about the long lines and the generally unfriendly people.

Leaving NAS by plane is an unpleasant end to a generally great vacation experience. ... eom

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
You do clear customs there but the good news is they take your bags almost immediately unlike in past years where you had to bring them with you all the way.
I also recommend a porter as they will take your bags until they are dropped off--well worth the tip!

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot...

I almost forgot another suggestion: Make sure you bring a PEN! I know it's crazy but at the end of a nice vacation none of our party of 4 had a pen when we got to the airport. As a result we had to wait in the first security line until we got to the front to use the ONE pen that was at a counter to fill out our customs declaration forms. Not fun.

Even better, if you think of it, try to get the forms on your way in (maybe at your departing U.S. airport or on arrival in NAS) and have them filled out before you even get to the airport. I recently just grabbed a stack to have for all my int'l travels.

ccy

Reaction score
Quick question...When leaving from the Nassau International airport, do they have customs and immigration pre-clearance for US flights...OR do we have to get our luggage off the plane at our first entry into the US? Thanks!!

Carolyn

I have the same question about Cancun ... do they do pre-clearance in Cancun? We have 1.5 hrs layover in Cincinatti on the way home to Wash, DC.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have the same question about Cancun ... do they do pre-clearance in Cancun? We have 1.5 hrs layover in Cincinatti on the way home to Wash, DC.
Thanks.

Had to go through the lines at LAX when I returned in December.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
ocdb8r, ... The food beyond security in the NAS airport is inedible. I'd bring in a sandwich from somewhere on the way to the airport, try to sneak it through and buy a sealed bottle of something once I'm past security.

Or, buy and open an expensive souvenir rum cake at a kiosk past security and wolf it down.

You are right about the long lines and the generally unfriendly people.

Leaving NAS by plane is an unpleasant end to a generally great vacation experience. ... eom

surprisingly, i had a ham and cheese sandwich and they melted it in their micro and it was excellent!!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Thanks.

No- US customs is done at your first stop once you arrive in the US

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm guessing you had a direct flight Cancun-LA? Or was it a layover in LA?

It was nonstop. But, you will go through customs in the US just before transferring to a domestic flight. This is fairly routine. The exceptions are certain foreign cities that have US entry at the departing airports - Nassau, Vancouver, Toronto, etc. I don't think there are many that have them, and I haven't bothered googling for an answer...

ccy

Reaction score
It was nonstop. But, you will go through customs in the US just before transferring to a domestic flight. This is fairly routine. The exceptions are certain foreign cities that have US entry at the departing airports - Nassau, Vancouver, Toronto, etc. I don't think there are many that have them, and I haven't bothered googling for an answer...

I'm just a little worried that 1.5 hours might not be enough time to get our luggage, go through customs and check-in for the next flight ...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm just a little worried that 1.5 hours might not be enough time to get our luggage, go through customs and check-in for the next flight ...

Call the airline...