• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just got an exchange into a two bedroom at Marriott KoOlina with the code HZZAB. What does this mean? And does anyone have a map of the resort and room view categories? What would be the best….we don’t like to be too high up…any rooms or towers I should preference? Are their ground floors good? What is the two bedroom set up in the second bedroom? Can I request two beds or are they all two beds in the second bedroom? I’d rather have the two beds than one bed and a pull out.

And if I purchase E-plus, will it automatically upgrade me if a better room becomes available, or do I have to check myself? And also, if there would be some sort of an emergency and we would need to not take this trip, with e-plus, then could I make an exchange for something else at a later date, so as not to lose my exchange?

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it. I have only traded one of our weeks once, so this is pretty new. And we haven’t been to KoOlina for 23 years, and there wasn’t a vacation club back then…in fact, we were at the JWMarriott, which is now the Four Seasons I think. It was the only hotel there, so we had all four lagoons to ourselves! I loved those morning walks. And sunsets were gorgeous! 🥰 I’m really looking forward to this trip!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hello! I just got an exchange into a two bedroom at Marriott KoOlina with the code HZZAB. What does this mean? And does anyone have a map of the resort and room view categories?
Both of these can be found in the Marriott Vacation Club Timeshare Weeks FAQ & Guide

And if I purchase E-plus, will it automatically upgrade me if a better room becomes available, or do I have to check myself? And also, if there would be some sort of an emergency and we would need to not take this trip, with e-plus, then could I make an exchange for something else at a later date, so as not to lose my exchange?
If you are trading Marriott to Marriott with an enrolled week, there is no need to add Eplus as you will be permitted unlimited retrades up to the day prior to checkin for $0 in exchange fees. If it is an unenrolled Marriott week, then adding Eplus will allow you to retrade up to 14 days prior to checkin up to three times for no extra fees. Retrades inside 14 day from checkin would incur the full exchange fee.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much! It is one of our NCV weeks we used to exchange. I did it through interval. So how do I do the exchanging without paying for e-plus?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks so much! It is one of our NCV weeks we used to exchange. I did it through interval. So how do I do the exchanging without paying for e-plus?
In My History, there is a "Start Retrade" link.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You! I see the ”Start Retrade” link….if I go to it can I just look see inventory available to trade into with this week without committing to giving up our exchange?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
ZZAB....Ko'Olina Beach Club.........Mountain View......2BR unit that locks off in to 1BR and studio. H at the beginning means it is a developer (House) deposit. I think this room type has a single king and pull out in studio side.

You didn't answer if your NCV week is enrolled or you bought prior to 6/2010. (If not yet enrolled it is too late for free on this exchange.) If you use e plus you cold re-trade to another 2br if it pops up and hope for an oceanview, or non-H unit..

Below is a map. If you get the ZZAB it will be one of the orange units without a dot (Likely a lower unit due to H deposit. )
mko mao.jpeg

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank You! I see the ”Start Retrade” link….if I go to it can I just look see inventory available to trade into with this week without committing to giving up our exchange?
You don't commit to anything until the very end (multiple pages in). You can go out and search inventory without giving up your initial exchange.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
ZZAB....Ko'Olina Beach Club.........Mountain View......2BR unit that locks off in to 1BR and studio. H at the beginning means it is a developer (House) deposit. I think this room type has a single king and pull out in studio side.

You didn't answer if your NCV week is enrolled or you bought prior to 6/2010. (If not yet enrolled it is too late for free on this exchange.) If you use e plus you cold re-trade to another 2br if it pops up and hope for an oceanview, or non-H unit..

Below is a map. If you get the ZZAB it will be one of the orange units without a dot (Likely a lower unit due to H deposit. )
View attachment 99727
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Unfortunately the NCV week we used was purchased after 2010 and is not enrolled in the points program. So I guess that means I need to eplus. And does the H mean we will get the worst rooms since it wasn’t an owner’s deposit? What is the name of the middle building? It looks like there are some orange rooms that face the inside of the property there….maybe I could request one of those. Any suggestions for buildings or rooms…good or bad???
I am just very thankful to be going!
Although it sure would be nice to be able to see the codes for the rooms before exchanging…or maybe you can and I just didn’t realize it?! I am a newbie at this! 😆
Thanks again!

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't commit to anything until the very end (multiple pages in). You can go out and search inventory without giving up your initial exchange.
Okay, thanks. Unfortunately, our week is not an enrolled week. We purchased a deeded week after 2010. So I guess I’ll have to get e-plus.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Unfortunately the NCV week we used was purchased after 2010 and is not enrolled in the points program. So I guess that means I need to eplus. And does the H mean we will get the worst rooms since it wasn’t an owner’s deposit? What is the name of the middle building? It looks like there are some orange rooms that face the inside of the property there….maybe I could request one of those. Any suggestions for buildings or rooms…good or bad???
I am just very thankful to be going!
Although it sure would be nice to be able to see the codes for the rooms before exchanging…or maybe you can and I just didn’t realize it?! I am a newbie at this! 😆
Thanks again!
You can't see the unit number codes before you exchange. The H just means it is a Marriott deposit that came from weeks inventory. It has no bearing on room allocation. Your priority in the room assignment pecking order determines best unit placements.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Okay, thanks. Unfortunately, our week is not an enrolled week. We purchased a deeded week after 2010. So I guess I’ll have to get e-plus.
Yes. You would want to add Eplus to allow for you to retrade up to three more times without paying additional exchange fees.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
You can't see the unit number codes before you exchange. The H just means it is a Marriott deposit that came from weeks inventory. It has no bearing on room allocation. Your priority in the room assignment pecking order determines best unit placements.
It has been our experience in many, many trades, that the worst room allocations have always been with the H code, and vice versa.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It has been our experience in many, many trades, that the worst room allocations have always been with the H code, and vice versa.
I've never paid that close of attention. I would think that any individual experience is mostly anecdotal. About 75% of our exchanges and getaways have either a D or H first character.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never paid that close of attention. I would think that any individual experience is mostly anecdotal. About 75% of our exchanges and getaways have either a D or H first character.
I have not seen any indication that the origin of the exchange has made any difference. All resorts I'm aware of tend to give exchangers a lower priority then the question is how do they define exchanger. Many resorts define this as II or points reservations and some micromanage those issues. Even a few throw in whether one owns at that resort even if not using the owned week. It is my understanding that II is no longer transmitting the origin of the deposit to the resorts so I doubt the resort even realizes this is the case. IMO I think expectations should be low in terms of view type and actual view no matter the view type of the unit, esp since resorts have the ability to downgrade the view type for exchanges.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have not seen any indication that the origin of the exchange has made any difference. All resorts I'm aware of tend to give exchangers a lower priority then the question is how do they define exchanger. Many resorts define this as II or points reservations and some micromanage those issues. Even a few throw in whether one owns at that resort even if not using the owned week. It is my understanding that II is no longer transmitting the origin of the deposit to the resorts so I doubt the resort even realizes this is the case. IMO I think expectations should be low in terms of view type and actual view no matter the view type of the unit, esp since resorts have the ability to downgrade the view type for exchanges.
Does the resort even see that first character of a five character unit number? I know when you look them up on Marriott.com the reservations just look like any other. the roompoolcode in the URL is just the four character unit number.

I understand the change that you may be referring to isn't necessarily the source of the deposit but your MVC ownership status. I have seen it reported here previously, perhaps by @Superchief, that the resorts used to receive your ownership status and they now no longer do (changed many years ago).

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. You would want to add Eplus to allow for you to retrade up to three more times without paying additional exchange fees.
But I do have to pay for e-plus, correct, even though it would be a Marriott to Marriott exchange? And is there any way to see if there is availability without getting the e-plus first?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the resort even see that first character of a five character unit number? I know when you look them up on Marriott.com the reservations just look like any other. the roompoolcode in the URL is just the four character unit number.

I understand the change that you may be referring to isn't necessarily the source of the deposit but your MVC ownership status. I have seen it reported here previously, perhaps by @Superchief, that the resorts used to receive your ownership status and they now no longer do (changed many years ago).
They did previously see the ownership status and it is my understanding they do not see where the deposit comes from but I do not know for certain. Even if they do, I can't imagine they would take it into consideration, they have a difficult enough job without making it more difficult.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
But I do have to pay for e-plus, correct, even though it would be a Marriott to Marriott exchange? And is there any way to see if there is availability without getting the e-plus first?
I am not sure what you mean about seeing availability before getting Eplus. You can purchase Eplus for up to 14 days after you confirm an exchange.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your week is not enrolled being in brand doesn’t affect anything.

To change an exchange you can either buy eplus within 14 days of exchanging and get 3 manual retrades within 1 year of exchanging or you can do a regular retrade which costs a full exchange fee. You can also cancel, get a replacement week good for a year and pay a new exchange fee when you use it.

You can search by clicking eplus retrade or regular retrade to search what is available- you don’t lose your current trade by searching.
You just need to decide if you want to add eplus within 14 days.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Hello! I just got an exchange into a two bedroom at Marriott KoOlina with the code HZZAB. What does this mean? And does anyone have a map of the resort and room view categories? What would be the best….we don’t like to be too high up…any rooms or towers I should preference? Are their ground floors good? What is the two bedroom set up in the second bedroom? Can I request two beds or are they all two beds in the second bedroom? I’d rather have the two beds than one bed and a pull out.
IMHO, all the lower floor units are not very nice and some of the 1st and 2nd floor units are bad. IMHO, alway request at least a 4th floor unit. If you want 2 beds in the second bedroom make sure to put that in your request.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! We won’t request low units then. For those of you who have stayed in a 2 bedroom Mountain View, which building or rooms did you like? Thank you all so much!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
If your week is not enrolled being in brand doesn’t affect anything.

To change an exchange you can either buy eplus within 14 days of exchanging and get 3 manual retrades within 1 year of exchanging or you can do a regular retrade which costs a full exchange fee. You can also cancel, get a replacement week good for a year and pay a new exchange fee when you use it.

You can search by clicking eplus retrade or regular retrade to search what is available- you don’t lose your current trade by searching.
You just need to decide if you want to add eplus within 14 days.
Yes, some of the ground floor units look directly at a wall.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn

If you look at your reservation details on marriott.com there are often notes in one of the fields (can't remember the name of it.).

djohnst1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have Mountain View weeks there and always ask for high floor in the Nai’a building. You have a good view of the marina and depending on which wing a view of lagoon 4. Low floors not so much.