• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

JW Lazy River Closed

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am checking in at Canyon Villas today and learned that the Lazy River at the JW is closed because they are building a water park in the area. I'm confident that the water park will be off limits to MCV guests unless a fee is paid. Roy's will also be closing in the near future. Ever since a new owner took over the JW a few years ago, they have been focusing on 'margin enhancement' but replacing free options with 'for fee'. The complimentary lounge chairs around the adult pool have been replaced with premium umbrella+lounge' that cost $50+ per day. This is in addition to a hefty resort fee charged to those at the hotel. These changes greatly diminish the MVC ownership stays. Meanwhile, MF's continue to climb. I may have to look for other MVC option for next March.

I'll post any other information that I learn this week during my stay.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am checking in at Canyon Villas today and learned that the Lazy River at the JW is closed because they are building a water park in the area. I'm confident that the water park will be off limits to MCV guests unless a fee is paid. Roy's will also be closing in the near future. Ever since a new owner took over the JW a few years ago, they have been focusing on 'margin enhancement' but replacing free options with 'for fee'. The complimentary lounge chairs around the adult pool have been replaced with premium umbrella+lounge' that cost $50+ per day. This is in addition to a hefty resort fee charged to those at the hotel. These changes greatly diminish the MVC ownership stays. Meanwhile, MF's continue to climb. I may have to look for other MVC option for next March.

I'll post any other information that I learn this week during my stay.
They are doing the same thing over at the JW Grande Lakes that is associated with Lakeshore Reserve. Apparently a fee will be involved and the JW pool will become off limits too.

I agree about the benefits of these types of accoiations between timeshare resorts and hotels. I think the MVC resort boards need to look closely at these types of things and ask owners if they think it is something they are still willing to pay for. I don't know if all resorts have these benefits as a fee on the r bidget or if they are charged as part of a larger master association. If owners knew how much it cost, would they be willing to maintain the agreement?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year, the JW was only open to MCV guests for one day of my 7 day stay. The only value I got was the use of their fitness facility, but CV had some weight equipment that the JW didn't have

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just checked in to CV on Saturday. In addition to the closings, they used to offer an owners discount at the Spa. That's been removed as well. No discounts and no access. That seems to be the name of the game these days.

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Yikes! I’m double booked at the Canyon Villas and Sheraton Desert Oasis for a few days during my daughter’s Easter break. Given this change, which would you choose for a group of 4 visiting for the first time?

I’m taking two newly retired sisters, and my youngest (14) for a few days stay at the rim of the Grand Canyon beforehand, so I imagine they’ll all appreciate some down time enjoying the resort facilities, before or after we venture out (to yet unplanned excursions) during the 5-6 days at the timeshare(s).

Initially, full points reservations were made at the SDO to guarantee villas, but the CV rooms were picked up at a discount, using hold points, if one would consider costs in this equation.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yikes! I’m double booked at the Canyon Villas and Sheraton Desert Oasis for a few days during my daughter’s Easter break. Given this change, which would you choose for a group of 4 visiting for the first time?

I’m taking two newly retired sisters, and my youngest (14) for a few days stay at the rim of the Grand Canyon beforehand, so I imagine they’ll all appreciate some down time enjoying the resort facilities, before or after we venture out (to yet unplanned excursions) during the 5-6 days at the timeshare(s).

Initially, full points reservations were made at the SDO to guarantee villas, but the CV rooms were picked up at a discount, using hold points, if one would consider costs in this equation.
If you cancel the MCV it will turn those points into holding account points. So your costs are now the same.

That said, I would pick Canyon Villas.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We much prefer to stay at Westin Kierland as my one stay at Canyon Villas about 8 years ago offered us no joy... If you haven't tried Kierland yet, you should. Its location cannot be beaten.

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
If you cancel the MCV it will turn those points into holding account points. So your costs are now the same.

That said, I would pick Canyon Villas
Thank you for your reply! Actually, my current string of four same CV room type nights was booked with my Chairman’s club discount, using my all-too-many hold points, whereas any SDO night kept will come at the full points cost of being booked as soon as Marriott owners had access (and nights cancelled will return borrowed points).

If I had to accept a single room change, to stay at CV the entire time, would that be preferable to moving between timeshares entirely? (I’d definitely move to try the Westin, given the chance, but I have not seen a single night open up for the month of April!)

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We much prefer to stay at Westin Kierland as my one stay at Canyon Villas about 8 years ago offered us no joy... If you haven't tried Kierland yet, you should. Its location cannot be beaten.
I’ve been looking daily, or at least on the days I remember to earn extra sweepstakes entries (no real prizes for me yet), but with no luck thus far!

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Agreed. Kierland is great! Tons of great restaurants in walking distance. Plus the Westin hotel has an incredible pool area. For the win!