• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just bought Marriott timesharing yesterday! [MERGED / Rescission]

ech35

Reaction score
I had a tour yesterday with Marriott vacation club sales person and bought 1500 points. When we got back to hotel I felt something was not right and I regretted buying the points! I want to rescind but I am still on vacation and will get back to home on the fifth. Will it be too late to rescind on Monday??
Bought points on 12/2
Going back home on 12/5 - sunday
Will mail out rescind letter on 12/6- monday
I reside in Pa and I saw a post saying that eligible time to rescind in Pa is 5 days.
Also, what else do I need to mail out to MVC other tha a rescind letter?

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your package to find the rescind instructions? These instructions are your guide to doing a successful recission of your contract.

You have made the correct decision.

Bill4728

Reaction score
It may not matter where you live but where you are now and where you signed the contract.

As far as what else you need to do in addition to the rescission letter. Any other materials they gave you may need to be returned. I recently saw someone who was charged $200 for the documents they received (like MVC docs) and didn't return when they rescinded.
Again look through the documents now and don't wait for the end of your vacation.

Good Luck

BTW We love our marriott timeshares but we bought 2 weeks at a SoCal resort from a previous owner for $5000 /week which I'd guess is a lot less than you paid for your 1500 MVC points. There is nothing wrong about owning a MVC timeshare but paying full resale isn't a great idea.

Last edited:

ech35

Reaction score
It may not matter where you live but where you are now and where you signed the contract.

As far as what else you need to do in addition to the rescission letter. Any other materials they gave you may need to be returned. I recently saw someone who was charged $200 for the documents they received (like MVC docs) and didn't return when they rescinded.
Again look through the documents now and don't wait for the end of your vacation.

Good Luck

Thank you!
I purchased the points in Orlando Florida and I cannot print out a letter today to mail out so I think I gotta wait until Monday which is still in the time period. According to the contract, it says I have 10 days to rescind and mail out the letter to rescind for a refund. So I think I will send the letter and any packages I received on the day of purchase. Hope i get a full refund.

Inhislove

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
Good decision! Most Marriott resorts have a place where you can print a letter, or you could hand write it?

ech35

Reaction score
Good decision! Most Marriott resorts have a place where you can print a letter, or you could hand write it?
I was thinking that too, but our schedule is too tight so I do not think we have enough time to print letter and mail it out to the address :( bummer.. we are heading back to Pa Sun morning, I can mail it out on Monday morning. Do you know if the letter has to be delivered within 5 days or mailed and stamped within 5 days..??

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that you should send as certified mail, which will get us a dated receipt. It does not has to be delivered within 10 days as I understand. Of course, you can send as 2nd day delivery if you fell more comfortable. After that, come back to TUG to do more through research to see whether timeshare is for you. If yes, which timeshare system can fir your travel needs.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that too, but our schedule is too tight so I do not think we have enough time to print letter and mail it out to the address :( bummer.. we are heading back to Pa Sun morning, I can mail it out on Monday morning. Do you know if the letter has to be delivered within 5 days or mailed and stamped within 5 days..??

Send a first class letter via CERTIFIED MAIL and retain the Postal Receipt. It is the Postmarked Date which matters. It does not matter when it actually arrives.

BE SURE it is mailed and Postmarked with the legally allowable time frame. Allow up to 45 days for a refund.

Once you do receive a refund then you should seriously investigate the resale market and save some $$$$$$$$$.

ech35

Reaction score
I will sent it as certified mail!!
And are there any other things (other than rescind letter and packet I received) needs to be sent??

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure that any buyer who signed the purchase agreement also signs the rescission letter......

Spend $15 and become a member of TUG. It will be the best $15 you ever spend!

Welcome to TUG.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Follow the rescission instructions exactly. As others suggest, make sure your method of rescission creates proof of mailing (even if it results in two rescission letters.)

Reference the contract number in the letter. Everyone who signed the purchase agreement must sign the rescission letter.

ech35

Reaction score
Follow the rescission instructions exactly. As others suggest, make sure your method of rescission creates proof of mailing (even if it results in two rescission letters.)

Reference the contract number in the letter. Everyone who signed the purchase agreement must sign the rescission letter.

I do not see a contract number on our contract.. is that lead number? Or inventory id? Inventory id is too long and complicated..

ech35

Reaction score
I am trying to write a rescission letter for the recent purchase of Marriott MVC trust points. I posted a thread and many people advised to put a contract number on the letter. I cannot find a contract number on the contract except inventory id which is really long! Is that the number I should use on the letter? Is there any other number that can be a contract number??

Moderator Note: [Threads merged.] <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I do not see a contract number on our contract.. is that lead number? Or inventory id? Inventory id is too long and complicated..
If you cannot find the contract number, you could attach a copy of the contract instead.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 154k & Bali Hai 105k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HVC South Bend 1/1
We hope your rescission and deposit refund were successful. To track TUG rescission savings, mind sharing how much you saved with rescission? As half of tuggers initially bought developer/retail TS, there is no shame.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another alternative would be to make a copy of the original contract and enclose it along with your rescission letter.......

ech35

Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased MVC timeshare or trust on Dec 2nd (Thursday) in Orlando FL, and sent a rescission letter yesterday via Express mail (which includes certified mail and return receipt)
I carefully followed the instruction on the contract and just confirmed that they have received my package/ mail at USPS tracking page.
Will I get a confirmation from them about rescinding the contract? or will they just refund the payment back to my credit card?

For peace of mind, I am going to send them an email with a signed recession letter.

For those of you who have done this process, what will be the next step?
I am just super worried.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming you had it Postmarked within the legal rescission time then you are all set. They have no obligation to acknowledge receiving your rescission paperwork, but they are obligated by law to abide by it.

Sit back, relax, and expect a refund within a 45 day time frame. Go out and celebrate and consider buying resale next time around.

No need to worry at all.......

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi,
I purchased MVC timeshare or trust on Dec 2nd (Thursday) in Orlando FL, and sent a rescission letter yesterday via Express mail (which includes certified mail and return receipt)
I carefully followed the instruction on the contract and just confirmed that they have received my package/ mail at USPS tracking page.
Will I get a confirmation from them about rescinding the contract? or will they just refund the payment back to my credit card?

For peace of mind, I am going to send them an email with a signed recession letter.

For those of you who have done this process, what will be the next step?
I am just super worried.
We hope your rescission and deposit refund were successful. To track TUG rescission savings, mind sharing how much you saved with rescission? As half of tuggers initially bought developer/retail TS, there is no shame.

ech35

Reaction score
Assuming you had it Postmarked within the legal rescission time then you are all set. They have no obligation to acknowledge receiving your rescission paperwork, but they are obligated by law to abide by it.

Sit back, relax, and expect a refund within a 45 day time frame. Go out and celebrate and consider buying resale next time around.

No need to worry at all.......

Hi!
On the contract it says cancellation must be submitted within 10 days, so I think it is within legal rescission time!
Regarding the rescission time, does it matter where I live? For PA, the legal time is for only 5 days. I purchased the points in Florida and the legal rescission date for FL is 10 days as stated on the contract. Also, when I sent the letter to them I wrote on the letter that I would send the materials or MVC docs I received at the time of purchase on the second mail, and I sent the doc and rescission letter with it today vis Certified mail. Do they have to receive the entire material and letter to cancel the contract or just the letter? On the contract, it does not say that I have to return the materials or docs to rescind but I just want to know.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the contract it says cancellation must be submitted within 10 days, so I think it is within legal rescission time!
Regarding the rescission time, does it matter where I live? For PA, the legal time is for only 5 days. I purchased the points in Florida and the legal rescission date for FL is 10 days as stated on the contract.

It does not matter where you live. What matters is where the contract was signed. If you signed it in FL, then you have 10 days. Also, what matters is when you sent it, not when they received it. If you send it certified mail, ask for a receipt to prove when you sent it.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi!
Regarding the rescission time, does it matter where I live? For PA, the legal time is for only 5 days. I purchased the points in Florida and the legal rescission date for FL is 10 days as stated on the contract. Also, when I sent the letter to them I wrote on the letter that I would send the materials or MVC docs I received at the time of purchase on the second mail, and I sent the doc and rescission letter with it today vis Certified mail. Do they have to receive the entire material and letter to cancel the contract or just the letter? On the contract, it does not say that I have to return the materials or docs to rescind but I just want to know.

@ech35
What matters is where you purchased, which is in FL and where you have 10 days. Cancellation date is post-mark date of the letter, not the entire package. However, you should send the MVC materials sooner rather then later..

beacon243

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Timber Lodge
@ech35
What matters is where you purchased, which is in FL and where you have 10 days. Cancellation date is post-mark date of the letter, not the entire package. However, you should send the MVC materials sooner rather then later..

@Grammarhero i saved ~$21.6k after coming to this forum. I bought 1500 points at Marriott Timber Lodge Tahoe in the last weed of November and rescinded in the first week of December by email. My contact at Tahoe said that contracts received my email/fax and refund for down payment will take ~7 days.

Last edited:

ech35

Reaction score
@Grammarhero i saved ~$21.6k after coming to this forum. I bought 1500 points at Marriott Timber Lodge Tahoe on 11/27 and rescinded on 12/4 by email. My contact at Tahoe said that contracts received my email/fax and refund for down payment will take ~7 days.

That is good!! Where did you call? I cannot find any contact number for MVC!

beacon243

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Timber Lodge
I sent an email to
MVCINEWPORTCOASTCONTRACTSTEAM@vacationclub.com with a copy of the first pages of the contract and i also found a notice of cancellation page. We signed that and sent a copy of that in the same email.

I also used an online fax tool to send a fax to the fax number mentioned in the contract. The email/number might be different as these folks deal with the west coast timeshare i guess...