• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

i've searched and searched... could you help me with wyndham-rci conversion rate?

Xcalibur

Reaction score
HI,

i've deposited some points into rci because i had some expiring wyndham pts. I've looked for the trading point grid, but the only ones i've found seem to be the old scale. it's not matching with what i'm seeing on the wyndham-rci site. could somebody please post the link with the new grid? i know there were a bunch of changes made to the wyndham-rci exchange a year or so ago...

thanks!

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
HI,

i've deposited some points into rci because i had some expiring wyndham pts. I've looked for the trading point grid, but the only ones i've found seem to be the old scale. it's not matching with what i'm seeing on the wyndham-rci site. could somebody please post the link with the new grid? i know there were a bunch of changes made to the wyndham-rci exchange a year or so ago...

thanks!

It's on page 235 of the directory:

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    39 KB · Views: 78

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There is no grid. You get an x size bedroom in y season (anywhere) for z points.

It doesn't matter if it is Orlando in September and would cost 5 tpu's or in NYC over NYE and would cost 60 tpu's or xxx# of RCI points.

The chart you are looking for is for someone with RCI points ( a different currency) trading into an RCI weeks resort- not applicable to you.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Xcalibur

Dont confuse RCI points withe Wyndham points..They are completely different and incompatible one with the other

the chart that scootr5 posted is the chart, it is not out of date

The chart you posted at is the RCI points chart... If I understand your post correctly you do not own RCI points...You own Wyndham points that you have deposited to RCI

Again the chart that scootr5 posted is correct. If you access the RCI site through the Wyndham portal you will see vacations denominated in Wyndham points (according to the chart).. Sometimes you will catch a sale or a discount close to check in, but generally the chart applies

Xcalibur

Reaction score
Xcalibur

Dont confuse RCI points withe Wyndham points..They are completely different and incompatible one with the other

the chart that scootr5 posted is the chart, it is not out of date

The chart you posted at is the RCI points chart... If I understand your post correctly you do not own RCI points...You own Wyndham points that you have deposited to RCI

Again the chart that scootr5 posted is correct. If you access the RCI site through the Wyndham portal you will see vacations denominated in Wyndham points (according to the chart).. Sometimes you will catch a sale or a discount close to check in, but generally the chart applies

ahh... so terribly confusing... so i get x rci-wyndham points for depositing y wyndham points. and then i book the resort based on the rci-wyndham points that particular suite needs? ignore the rci point grid because it's not rci-wyndham points?

thanks Ron!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
no you get a certain size RCI week for depositing your wyndham points. Your points are converted to units not tpu's or rci points.

Last edited:

Xcalibur

Reaction score
no you get a certain size RCI week for depositing your RCI points. Your points are converted to units not tpu's or rci points.

hmmm... that's not what i'm seeing... i've got x points in rci-wyndham,

eg

RCI Reservation Window Type Club Points
01/08/2013 - 01/08/2015 Points From CLUB WYNDHAM Plus 111,111
CLUB WYNDHAM Plus Points on Deposit with RCI 222,222

---
when i book something, it shows something like

2 Bedrooms
Sat 28-Dec-2013 to Sat 04-Jan-2014

Max Occup
(Privacy) : 8 (6)

Kitchen : Full

Club Points: 205,000 --

this does not match with anything i could find...

thanks!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
ahh... so terribly confusing... so i get x rci-wyndham points for depositing y wyndham points. and then i book the resort based on the rci-wyndham points that particular suite needs? ignore the rci point grid because it's not rci-wyndham points?

thanks Ron!

No thats not the case at all.

access the RCI site through the Wyndham portal and you will see weeks available and the number of Wyndham points needed to make the reservation

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hmmm... that's not what i'm seeing... i've got x points in rci-wyndham,

eg

RCI Reservation Window Type Club Points
01/08/2013 - 01/08/2015 Points From CLUB WYNDHAM Plus 111,111
CLUB WYNDHAM Plus Points on Deposit with RCI 222,222

---
when i book something, it shows something like

2 Bedrooms
Sat 28-Dec-2013 to Sat 04-Jan-2014

Max Occup
(Privacy) : 8 (6)

Kitchen : Full

Club Points: 205,000 --

this does not match with anything i could find...

thanks!

So the 205,000 points that it would cost you must be a slight discount off the normal 224,000 points from the Wyndham grid for the 2 bedroom prime time

massvacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was actually going to start a thread on the grid for Wyndham points in RCI.

I have been noticing that many reservations are quoted at points amounts that are less than those on the grid. I see a lot of two-bedroom off-season & shoulder season reservations for 77K points, which is less than the grid.

Is this due to a sale? Or, has RCI decided to revise the points requirements grid ? Is it possible that they are not getting enough confirmations from Wyndham owners, because the grid values are a bit too expensive, so they are revising the grid?

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally do not think it's a sale. I see that chart referenced a lot here, but I've never found it to be accurate in the past few months that I've been RCI-watching. I also don't find depositing points into RCI to be as bad of a deal as people make it out to be. In fact, I often see some pretty good deals.

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score

thanks Ron!

I think you're making it more complicated than it is. The number of points needed varies depending on the location, season, and size of the unit reserved. To find out how many points you will need for a reservation, you will need to search RCI inventory for the dates you are looking for and see what the point values are.

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
I was actually going to start a thread on the grid for Wyndham points in RCI.

I have been noticing that many reservations are quoted at points amounts that are less than those on the grid. I see a lot of two-bedroom off-season & shoulder season reservations for 77K points, which is less than the grid.

Is this due to a sale? Or, has RCI decided to revise the points requirements grid ? Is it possible that they are not getting enough confirmations from Wyndham owners, because the grid values are a bit too expensive, so they are revising the grid?

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I bought my Wyndham timeshare about 6 months after the big change in Jan 2011. I think for about a year or more after I bought, the RCI point cost in the Wyndham portal were always the amounts in the grid. I would bet that before 1/11/2011 when you could get a one bedroom for as little at 28k Wyndham points, that Wyndham owners were among RCI's largest depositors. It was the best deal in town. Which is probably why it changed. I believe they went too far the other way. I'm sure they thought that given a little time it would all settle down and Wyndham owners would start depositing again. But who in their right mind would deposit 143,000 points that you probably paid between $700 and $800 in maintenance fees to get a 1 bedroom that you could get on the Wyndham site for 77,000 points. Or you could get on RCI.com in the extra Holliday section for $425.00 or even worse in last call for $194. I saw lots of examples of exactly that. When I bought my first Wyndham contract, I quickly realized that RCI was good for only high value locations like Hawaii where 143,000 points wasn't too bad, and "Last Call". I quickly decided that I would probably never deposit any points in RCI.
I think after waiting around for year for the deposits to resume, RCI quietly started ajusting the point cost, to bring in more deposits. I think that is what is going on now. You can find some good deals if you look. About 6 months ago I found a lot of Wyndhams in shoulder seasons on RCI for 77k for a 2 bedroom. An amount that doesn't appear anywhere on their chart. Right now at Wyndham Kauai Beach Villas you can get a one bedroom for 126k and a 2 bedroom for 205k, also amounts that don't appear on the chart. The chart is now a maximun on a real guide. From time to time there are some good deals on RCI and I will probaly take advantage at some point, if the point cost gets low enough.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
that many reservations are quoted at points amounts that are less than those on the grid
There are some exchanges that are less than "grid" amounts. The first few times they were announced as sales. Lately, they have just happened. Orlando is never at grid-values except around Easter weeks, for example. They fluctuate. But, some things (especially in-demand areas with relatively low supply) are grid-accurate. Think of the grid as worst case, and it will make more sense.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with you Mark. I regularly pulled nice 2 BRs with 28K deposits, even got a 231K booking at Kona in November several years ago. Active posters on Wyndham Forum posted when Wyndham did a dump typically around 8 month mark!

The Main Man at RCI figured he could make a ton of money going to higher values than Wyndham in most cases and everyone would be so happy with long promised portal they would not notice.

However, his GURUs overlooked most of us Wyndham owners can add and compare.

But, I think biggest hit is loss of $189 exchange fee CASH.

I have not done business with RCI since 1/11/11 massacre and would have a hard time figuring out how portal works. Like Ron I go for credit pool!

I let my one 28K deposit expire when they offered me a 1 BR in Branson or Williamsburg in January or comparable. Since all 28K deposits will be out of system in a couple days will be interesting to see what they do with that system.

Xcalibur

Reaction score
Agree with you Mark. I regularly pulled nice 2 BRs with 28K deposits, even got a 231K booking at Kona in November several years ago. Active posters on Wyndham Forum posted when Wyndham did a dump typically around 8 month mark!

The Main Man at RCI figured he could make a ton of money going to higher values than Wyndham in most cases and everyone would be so happy with long promised portal they would not notice.

However, his GURUs overlooked most of us Wyndham owners can add and compare.

But, I think biggest hit is loss of $189 exchange fee CASH.

I have not done business with RCI since 1/11/11 massacre and would have a hard time figuring out how portal works. Like Ron I go for credit pool!

I let my one 28K deposit expire when they offered me a 1 BR in Branson or Williamsburg in January or comparable. Since all 28K deposits will be out of system in a couple days will be interesting to see what they do with that system.

interesting... maybe they will revise the schedules more fairly then. they must be feeling the squeeze when they lose the revenue stream of the booking fees, have the cost of staffing, the expense of setting up the site, etc.. hopefully, there will be changes announced in the coming months. along with the new directory maybe? =)

Xcalibur

Reaction score
interesting... maybe they will revise the schedules more fairly then. they must be feeling the squeeze when they lose the revenue stream of the booking fees, have the cost of staffing, the expense of setting up the site, etc.. hopefully, there will be changes announced in the coming months. along with the new directory maybe? =)

oh, here's something interesting... i just checked the wyndham webinars because i was hoping to do an rci webinar (missed the last one the other month). anyway, the next one is not scheduled until september. sep 25th, and then the next one is oct 9th. so they've got them back to back, and then they're gone for almost an entire year... food for thought anyway...

MFT

TUG Member
Reaction score
When Wyndham originally transitioned from weeks deposits to points deposits, the points required for an RCI reservation were in most cases, higher than the points required to make the reservation directly through Wyndham. So if an off season week at a Wyndham resort was say 126K points, going to the RCI site may have been showing 166K points, and on top of that, you had the $200 or so transfer fee. I called initially to ask "is the points in RCI including the transfer fee?", as I knew it wasn't but because it seemed that most RCI reservations were roughly 40K points more, I wanted to find out why they were higher, plus you had to pay the transfer fee... At the very least, they should have matched up to Wyndham. The person couldn't answer my question on the more points issue, but stated that of course, no, transfer fee was still required.

Since then, RCI's points requirement is now normally less than Wyndham for a week (about 40K...) though sometimes they are the same during PEAK season. I actually have an excel spreadsheet that when I'm looking to make a reservation into a Wyndham, I put in the Wyndham points (it calculates based on my average MF costs), and the cost of 1 reservation fee (ya, I know I have X free... but it's just to compare). I then load in the RCI points on the next line, and it adds in the reservation fee, and transfer fee. Last line is if there is an Extra Vacation or Last Call available, and that cost. Gives me 3 rates to compare and choose from.

Below is an example of a week at Smugglers during Thanksgiving week.

Avg. MF 5.05
Resort Wyndham Smugglers Notch
Date 11/23/2013
Days 7
Wyndham Points 126000
RCI Points 126000
RCI Extra Vacations $649.00
RCI Exchange Fee $199.00
Wyndham Res (transfer) $30.00

Wyndham Points $666.30
RCI Points $865.30
RCI Extra Vacations $649.00

Interesting, as the week prior to this, Wyndham is still 126K points, but RCI is only 77K points. So it's worth checking both systems to see where the best deal is.

MFT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've recently noticed the following on the majority of RCI resorts for 2 BR exchanges using points.

An off season is around 77K
Mid season around 126K
High season around 165K

Wyndham, based on resort, is all over the place, where RCI seems to be more consistant. That being said, it's a good idea to check the rating of the resort in RCI, because for the same number of points, you can either end up at a 2 star or 5 star...