• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is This a Good Deal? (Westin Nanea Villas in Maui)

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a resale at this resort for 148000 points for $5000. I've never purchased a timeshare before. Is this a good deal for this location? All I ever hear is that timeshares are a terrible idea, but I thought resales might not be so bad?

My spouse and I love Maui, so we know we'll use these points.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I would not buy at Nanea - for the lowest maintenance fee, and the most flexibility, I'd buy at the Westin Ka'anapali South/Original. And I'd buy at least a deeded Ocean View. Be aware that 80% of the views at Nanea are Resort View, which essentially is luck of the draw - you don't know what you will get. If you buy at the Westin Ka'anapali South/Original, you can make reservations anywhere in the Vistana system.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other Westin Ka'anapali properties in Maui are a bit more expensive, but as Denise says, you have a better chance of ocean views. You can probably sell them for about what you pay for them if you decide you want to get out. You may not be able to get much for your Nanea points. Maintenance fees are also a lot higher.

Another benefit of the other properties is that they are lock-offs that can be split to use them for two weeks in a row. I often stay there that way. Nanea only has full two bedrooms and a small number of 1BR units. The 1BR are hard to reserve, and you wouldn't have enough points to stay two full weeks. At the other properties you'd stay one week in the 1BR and another in the studio.

I felt timeshares were rip-offs before I first bought in Maui in 2002, before any of the buildings were up. I am glad I did and I have greatly enjoyed my ownership and the memories I have with my children. My daughter was 10 when we first went. Decided right then and there that she would want to get married in Hawaii when she saw a carriage with a bride in Kapalua. 15 years later, she did just that and now owns an aftermarket unit at WKORV South.

When I bought, I thought I would only occasionally go to Maui, but I could also go to nice hotels with a developer purchase. I travel internationally quite a bit so there was value in that. In the beginning, I could get a week at nice hotels, but since then the point values needed have increased dramatically while the points I get for turning a week in have not. Hotel exchanges are not a good value. In any case, I've been back to Maui every year. since. I could not touch a hotel, much less a suite with a kitchen and washer/dryer, for anywhere close to the maintenance fees. If you use the timeshare every year and can afford the cost to travel to Hawaii that often, timeshares are actually a very good deal. The ancillary stuff to exchange elsewhere and such maybe not so much. The Maui properties are at the top of the heap in terms of how nice they are. Almost all exchanges are kind of a step down, even if perhaps you could stay longer elsewhere or maybe get a 2BR for your Maui studio. I did just that once in the German Alps! The property was not nearly as nice as the Westins, though. Today, I would rent out my unit and pay for an AirBnB elsewhere if I didn't want to go to Maui.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I wouldn't buy that one. The fees at Nanea are pretty high for a 2 bedroom. Check the annual fees on the Vistana Maintenance Fees thread for 2024. I think you will find it eye opening.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I would not buy at Nanea - for the lowest maintenance fee, and the most flexibility, I'd buy at the Westin Ka'anapali South/Original. And I'd buy at least a deeded Ocean View. Be aware that 80% of the views at Nanea are Resort View, which essentially is luck of the draw - you don't know what you will get. If you buy at the Westin Ka'anapali South/Original, you can make reservations anywhere in the Vistana system.
Did they not sell seperate points deeded resort view and ocean view?

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
Did they not sell seperate points deeded resort view and ocean view?
They have separate deeds for oceanfront Only.

I bought both Nanea and the south tower.

I like that I can check in any day of the week with Nanea a year in advance. South and North towers only allow non weekend check ins 8 months in advance with star options.

As far as maint fees go, I thought the one bedrooms in the towers cost more than the one bedrooms in Nanea.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I would not buy a 1 bdm at either resort. Not a good value.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
I wouldn't buy that one. The fees at Nanea are pretty high for a 2 bedroom. Check the annual fees on the Vistana Maintenance Fees thread for 2024. I think you will find it eye opening.
You pay more in MF for the flexibility of use. So each individual is different and have different priorities. You can check in at any day of the week and stay for any length of time. So that comes at a price. Therefore different type of vacation priorities. To the OP see what works for you.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
While the points above are all valid, this may be a good deal if it works for you. It would cost more than 10x this amount to buy from developer. Generally, everybody on here gives only the opinion of buy a deeded week at north or south or buy Westin Kierland for the mandatory StarOptions at lower maintenance fees. But those aren’t always the best answers for everyone. Here are a few pros and cons of this, recognizing some are repeats from above:

- Ocean views at north or south will cost substantially more. Resorts views a little more. (Avoid resort view at South). You will also get StarOptions you can use to go somewhere else.

- It is resort view at Nanea. But most of the resort views aren’t bad if you book early. There are some parking lot views however.

- It will be fairly easy to book a 2 bedroom stay and you can book any night of the week check in you like 1 year out. You can’t do this at the other properties (except with Westin Flex).

- You can book any night 1 bedroom for 13 nights at 12 months out if you pick the right checking days. However, there aren’t many one bedrooms and they aren’t as nice, as they lose the master side of the two bedroom. To book a 1 bedroom you will want to book exactly 12 months out. I like the 1 bedrooms at north or south better as they are the master side.

- Since this resort is “voluntary“ you will have nothing else you can do with your ownership except to trade in II.

I love my deeded south oceanfront, but it cost 5x resale. For around the same price (or maybe cheaper) Pathan Nanea, you could also get resale Westin Flex. Much of Nanea is in Flex, so it is relatively easy to book and has the same flexibility. But you can also use it at any other of the other 7 Westin Flex resorts at 12 months out. I also own some Flex and find it is fairly easy to book any of the Maui properties, with the usual competition as with deeded weeks for the highest demand weeks. The biggest downside is that the maintenance fees are high, I think even a little higher than Nanea. For either Flex or Nanea resale you wont have that much into them so they shouldn’t be hard to dump if you want out. I personally would do flex over pure Nanea.

Bottom line, if Nanea works for you better than what buying a deeded week at the other properties does or Flex, go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
They are selling the Abound product now, very expensive.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
They have separate deeds for oceanfront Only.

I bought both Nanea and the south tower.

I like that I can check in any day of the week with Nanea a year in advance. South and North towers only allow non weekend check ins 8 months in advance with star options.

As far as maint fees go, I thought the one bedrooms in the towers cost more than the one bedrooms in Nanea.
Did they build some towers? I didn't see any in January so they've put those up pretty quickly ;)

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
While the points above are all valid, this may be a good deal if it works for you. It would cost more than 10x this amount to buy from developer. Generally, everybody on here gives only the opinion of buy a deeded week at north or south or buy Westin Kierland for the mandatory StarOptions at lower maintenance fees. But those aren’t always the best answers for everyone. Here are a few pros and cons of this, recognizing some are repeats from above:

- Ocean views at north or south will cost substantially more. Resorts views a little more. (Avoid resort view at South). You will also get StarOptions you can use to go somewhere else.

- It is resort view at Nanea. But most of the resort views aren’t bad if you book early. There are some parking lot views however.

- It will be fairly easy to book a 2 bedroom stay and you can book any night of the week check in you like 1 year out. You can’t do this at the other properties (except with Westin Flex).

- You can book any night 1 bedroom for 13 nights at 12 months out if you pick the right checking days. However, there aren’t many one bedrooms and they aren’t as nice, as they lose the master side of the two bedroom. To book a 1 bedroom you will want to book exactly 12 months out. I like the 1 bedrooms at north or south better as they are the master side.

- Since this resort is “voluntary“ you will have nothing else you can do with your ownership except to trade in II.

I love my deeded south oceanfront, but it cost 5x resale. For around the same price (or maybe cheaper) Pathan Nanea, you could also get resale Westin Flex. Much of Nanea is in Flex, so it is relatively easy to book and has the same flexibility. But you can also use it at any other of the other 7 Westin Flex resorts at 12 months out. I also own some Flex and find it is fairly easy to book any of the Maui properties, with the usual competition as with deeded weeks for the highest demand weeks. The biggest downside is that the maintenance fees are high, I think even a little higher than Nanea. For either Flex or Nanea resale you wont have that much into them so they shouldn’t be hard to dump if you want out. I personally would do flex over pure Nanea.

Bottom line, if Nanea works for you better than what buying a deeded week at the other properties does or Flex, go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This 100% correct. The one bedrooms in Nanea are not as nice . What a disappointment. Although I was able to book 2 weeks there. Straight booking no locking off and making 2 separate reservations. I travel in September/October so not difficult to book.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some clarification:

Westin Ka'anapali North and South do not have Resort View - only Nanea has that category.
North & South have:
- Island View
- Ocean View
- Ocean Front

At WKORV-S, Island View is parking lot view - don't buy that. But at WKORV-N, they did not build any parking lot view villas, so even an Island view will face the pool, landscaping or park.

If you buy RESALE at Nanea, you will not have Staroptions, because you don't get Staroptions with a resale.

If you buy RESALE at WKORV N or S, you will get Staroptions that can trade into all other Vistana resorts - this keeps the resale value up.

The buildings are 6 stories high, however, some people don't like it if you call them "towers." I say "North and South towers" all the time - it's a short cut and everyone here understands what it means.

Yellow = Resort View, Blue = Ocean Front
nanea_map_Lg.png

Pink = Ocean Front, Yellow = Ocean View, Green = Island View.
WKORV view map new.png

Last edited: