• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is anyone else experiencing this? After years, I just found this out!

MamaJustice

Reaction score
My husband and I have purchased points with Marriott 3 separate times. We were told each time that it didn’t matter who was “primary” and who was “secondary”. We are both listed as co-owners each time, same address, both names on the account. The second time we bought points, my husband said he could be primary and I could be secondary so I could leave and go back to enjoying the beach while he finished the paperwork. Since that time Marriott, in November, sent us two separate statements for our club fees. One because he was primary, and the other, because I was primary on that account. I have learned that because we differed in who was primary, we were assigned different account numbers only for assessing club dues. He was charged the club due for all our points and I was charged another club due For all our points! I didn’t realize we were being double charged until now. They have told me that this is just their policy, except there is no explanation as to why they would do this except to collect more money. I am convinced I am not the only person that this has happened to! I had no idea this was happening! I have been double charged for years! Anyone else????

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My wife is listed as primary on our Points that we bought direct from Marriott because she had higher Bonvoy status at the time so we put that under her Bonvoy number, but we are listed as co-owners. We also bought two resale Hawaii weeks from third party brokers, and since I handled those transactions, those wound up with me as primary under my Bonvoy number, but again, we are co-owners. When we use our weeks, the nights credit in Bonvoy goes to me, but when we use our points my wife gets the Bonvoy nights credit. We were also assigned two different online accounts, but either account can make reservations for our points or weeks and we see and can pay our fees through either account. So, we have two accounts, but they are basically just two two portals into the same overall master account. We only get charged one club fee each year.

The only thing that doesn't show up in both accounts exactly the same are the communications/newsletters/budget documents from the Homeowners Associations. The Trust Owners Association documents show up under the online account linked to my wife's Bonvoy number, but the communications/newsletters/budget documents for Waiohai and Maui Ocean Club Owners Associations show up under my online account. Everything else - reservations, maintenance fees/club dues due, and points/weeks owned show up identically whether we log in under my account or my wife's account. And again, we are assessed only one club dues.

MamaJustice

Reaction score
My wife is listed as primary on our Points that we bought direct from Marriott because she had higher Bonvoy status at the time so we put that under her Bonvoy number, but we are listed as co-owners. We also bought two resale Hawaii weeks from third party brokers, and since I handled those transactions, those wound up with me as primary under my Bonvoy number, but again, we are co-owners. When we use our weeks, the nights credit in Bonvoy goes to me, but when we use our points my wife gets the Bonvoy nights credit. We were also assigned two different online accounts, but either account can make reservations for our points or weeks and we see and can pay our fees through either account. So, we have two accounts, but they are basically just two two portals into the same overall master account. We only get charged one club fee each year.

The only thing that doesn't show up in both accounts exactly the same are the communications/newsletters/budget documents from the Homeowners Associations. The Trust Owners Association documents show up under the online account linked to my wife's Bonvoy number, but the communications/newsletters/budget documents for Waiohai and Maui Ocean Club Owners Associations show up under my online account. Everything else - reservations, maintenance fees/club dues due, and points/weeks owned show up identically whether we log in under my account or my wife's account. And again, we are assessed only one club dues.
Your situation makes sense. We are the same in everything except you purchased weeks instead of points, and for some reason I have the double club dues. We have only purchased through Marriott. I wonder if you were to have purchased points in your name or as the primary (instead of your Hawaii weeks), would you have the same problem that we do?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I have purchased points with Marriott 3 separate times. We were told each time that it didn’t matter who was “primary” and who was “secondary”. We are both listed as co-owners each time, same address, both names on the account. The second time we bought points, my husband said he could be primary and I could be secondary so I could leave and go back to enjoying the beach while he finished the paperwork. Since that time Marriott, in November, sent us two separate statements for our club fees. One because he was primary, and the other, because I was primary on that account. I have learned that because we differed in who was primary, we were assigned different account numbers only for assessing club dues. He was charged the club due for all our points and I was charged another club due For all our points! I didn’t realize we were being double charged until now. They have told me that this is just their policy, except there is no explanation as to why they would do this except to collect more money. I am convinced I am not the only person that this has happened to! I had no idea this was happening! I have been double charged for years! Anyone else????
It sounds like you're both on all the deeds and if so, this can be corrected fairly easily. If that's not the case, it'll be more complicated. It's not difficult to change the primary, just contact MVC and they'll send you the form. I can't speak to the club dues issues. I'd also discuss with MVC and see if you can at least get it removed for this year and going forward. While I own weeks, I was aware that there were issues with who was primary vs secondary.

MamaJustice

Reaction score
It sounds like you're both on all the deeds and if so, this can be corrected fairly easily. If that's not the case, it'll be more complicated. It's not difficult to change the primary, just contact MVC and they'll send you the form. I can't speak to the club dues issues. I'd also discuss with MVC and see if you can at least get it removed for this year and going forward. While I own weeks, I was aware that there were issues with who was primary vs secondary.
Yes, we are both on the deeds. But they are claiming that it’s their policy to double charge based on who is primary. It doesn’t state that in our contract tho. We have gone through the process of changing the primary twice already and just found out we need to fill out the forms again for a third time. Hopefully third times the charm?? How were you made aware of the problems they were having regarding primary vs. secondary?? I’m curious to know what’s going on and if there are more people with my problem.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we are both on the deeds. But they are claiming that it’s their policy to double charge based on who is primary. It doesn’t state that in our contract tho. We have gone through the process of changing the primary twice already and just found out we need to fill out the forms again for a third time. Hopefully third times the charm?? How were you made aware of the problems they were having regarding primary vs. secondary?? I’m curious to know what’s going on and if there are more people with my problem.
I would call and talk to owner modification to see about this. It shouldn't be difficult to get them all under one primary if they're all titled the same in all aspects other than the order of the names. My circumstance was different in that I was the primary on everything then we did a purchase enrollment and the retail week purchases was put as my wife being primary. I was talking to MVC customer service and I don't recall why it came up but it did. Fortunately this was fairly early after the purchase and my salesperson was both still around and very helpful (he still is BTW). He expedited it getting fixed. One issue is that only the primary will get the mailings but both will be liable for the fees and have the fees listed on their account.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My understanding is that if the title is not EXACTLY the same, deeds cannot be combined to one account. Is your husband first on some, and you on the others? Either way they will correct this or help you correct this.

jewls

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Custom House Boston
My husband passed away October 2021. I have not changed anything on my Marriott or Interval accounts. I'm afraid I will lose any of our points. He was always prime, I was listed second. Advice??

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband passed away October 2021. I have not changed anything on my Marriott or Interval accounts. I'm afraid I will lose any of our points. He was always prime, I was listed second. Advice??
Maybe there are some lawyers who can address this more specifically. Assuming the title is Joint with Right of Survivorship, I don't think you have any worries but also probably don't have any reason to act unless you want to change the deeds for some reason anyway.