• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval International 'Certificates'

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
Hello all:

I logged into my II account recently and saw that I had a certificate from them to use at certain resorts between now and the end of June.

I was wondering if people have used the certificates and what their experiences were? It almost seems like i have to deposit points to use the certificates. Is that true? Also, is there a fee or cost associated with using the certificates? Does II issue one certificate a year or do they issue more?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
The certificate is like a free deposit - in other words you don't have to deposit a week to use it. However, you do have to pay the exchange fee.

If you click through it as if you were going to make an exchange, it will show the fee to you. Don't worry, you can't accidentally make an exchange without putting in your CC number.

II uses the certificates to unload extra last-minute inventory. You have to be flexible about traveling in the near future, and about where you will go. You seldom see the top resorts.

These are issued randomly - I suspect they are issued when their pool of unwanted inventory gets too large.

Travel1

Reaction score
How did you get your certificate? Did you deposit a timeshare unit with them earlier or did you get one just for belonging to II?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
These certificates are regularly deposited in the accounts of II members. Sometimes it is part of a special offer, but most of the time it happens when II gets a lot of last minute inventory that they want to get rid of. They can only be used for specific exchanges - mostly last minute exchanges for resorts with more supply than demand. If you click on the certificate a chart will come up that you use to find availability.

Travel1

Reaction score
Thanks for the update and good information to know. I just joined II a few weeks ago, so hopefully I will receive one too in the future while I have my membership.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you join TUG, you'll be able to read the thread in the Sightings Forum (members only access) that is regularly updated with II exchanges available using Accommodations Certificates. If your travel plans are flexible, you can get some GREAT deals using those AC's!

I've got three AC's in my account right now. One from purchasing a Getaway, one from making an exchange, and one randomly "gifted" from Interval. Sometimes I can use them, sometimes I can't.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It isn't actually an exchange fee, its a redemption fee to use the certificate. The redemption fee and booking rules vary by certificate. Some are a flat rate regardless of unit size you select and others base the fee on the size of the unit you select. I think they average around $299. Sometimes they don't save you anything over the getaway rental fees especially if you have platinum account.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you join TUG, you'll be able to read the thread in the Sightings Forum (members only access) that is regularly updated with II exchanges available using Accommodations Certificates. If your travel plans are flexible, you can get some GREAT deals using those AC's!

I've got three AC's in my account right now. One from purchasing a Getaway, one from making an exchange, and one randomly "gifted" from Interval. Sometimes I can use them, sometimes I can't.

Do you see any difference between the 3 AC's? I have two corporate accounts (Starwood and Marriott) that I rarely use for trades but still receive the AC's. I guess they are the "gifted" AC's They are generally very limited and appear to be identical. No extra preference for Starwood or Marriott.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you see any difference between the 3 AC's?

Apparently, Interval wants you to spend time looking around. I did a quick test with my three AC's (with a Marriott pre-DC, non-mandatory Starwood SDO, and a Maui independent enrolled in one account) and drilled down to April in South Baja. One AC showed 3 resorts, one showed 4 resorts, and one showed 5 resorts!

I just checked my Vistana corporate account, and have three more AC's there. If we didn't make plans 2 years out, I could put some of these to good use!

Last edited:

Travel1

Reaction score
Pamco: How long after you purchased a Getaway or did an exchange did it take for you to get a AC?

I just joined II about a month ago and have already purchased a Getaway and a Flexchange. Did you receive the AC after you completed your trips or after you purchased them, and how long after you purchased or completed the trip did they normally appear? Also, how did they notify you that you received an AC?

Thanks

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are given as limited time "special offers". At times, lI offers AC's for all kinds of activity - deposit your week, make an exchange, buy a Getaway, extend your membership, etc. The AC shows up in your account within a couple of days of the transaction. Other AC's are randomly dropped into your account. You have to be a bit of a puzzle master to figure out if it makes sense to use an AC or buy a Getaway. ALWAYS double check!

Travel1

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response...hopefully they will surprise me with a few in the future.

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
Thank you all for responding. Just as a followup, I did some quick look ups on available properties and it looks like the redemption fee is about $275 USD for a two bedroom resort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - but you have to pay for a guest certificate.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes - but you have to pay for a guest certificate.

Guest cert fees are waived for platinum members. It doesn’t take much to justify the upgrade cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk