• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I *knew* I should have purchased a TUG tote

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am on my way out of the Marriott Marquis in Houston after a week long work conference, and, lo and behold, they have ensconced a whole room of salesweasels and potential victims. And security probably would not like it if I stood by the buffet line (which is set up in the hall outside) and said—-you can buy the same thing for pennies on the dollar resale. But I am tempted. If only I had a TUG tote, I could just *stand* by the door, or in front of this pair. Is this elder abuse? The woman he is talking to has got to be 80 and is using a walker.
ae27f43967934b68896f7ea7b89bc257.jpg

def80a7052f0f4b3127f063609dad848.jpg

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
TUG tee-shirts are great for this. I will be wearing my pink one at SBR starting tomorrow.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are timeshare sales employees at a private employer work conference and why is that timeshare sales person talking to an eighty years old person?

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
@amycurl Maybe some friendly TUGger will overnight you a tote and TUGBrian will get you some TUG literature! That'll knock the wind out of their sail(sale)s!

For salesweasels to go after 80 y.o. handicapped people is unconscionable! Have they no decency? Or just greed.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was interesting that when we were at Grand Solmar at Lands End about 6 years go, they said they were not selling to anyone over the age of 70 years old.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
send me an email to confirm your address, if i can find one of the old totebags left over ill send you one!

It certainly takes a special lack of morals to talk an 80 year old lady into buying a timeshare.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
send me an email to confirm your address, if i can find one of the old totebags left over ill send you one!

It certainly takes a special lack of morals to talk an 80 year old lady into buying a timeshare.
Buy it for the grand children or great grand children. Leave it to their parents in your will so they’ll remember you the rest of their lives while enjoying fabulous vacations.
Satire/sarcasm for those who don’t know me and can’t recognize it on social media.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will go over to her and say loudly: Grandma (or mother depending on your age), where have you been. Been looking for you. You are going to overdraw your account again causing us to go to court again? Then I will whisper in the sales person ear that she has dementia and can't recognize me sometimes. Then firmly but calmly tell the sales person to give us a minute for her to calm down and then we can continue the meeting. When the sales person is gone I will spill the beans!
Think that might work?

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I think it might end with a Ruth Buzzi moment of you getting a beat down with the old ladies purse

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
And finance the $50,000 purchase at a 15% interest rate for ten years. Her salesperson will probably have some spiel about how she can pay the monthly payments from her social security check and since SS has annual cost of living increases, her monthly payments will get MORE affordable each year. Such a deal!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
And finance the $50,000 purchase at a 15% interest rate for ten years. Her salesperson will probably have some spiel about how she can pay the monthly payments from her social security check and since SS has annual cost of living increases, her monthly payments will get MORE affordable each year. Such a deal!
Taking out a 10 year loan when you’re 80 is the very definition of optimism

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
We recently mentioned TUG at a sales presentation and were told that TUG was owned and controlled by Wyndham!
I have not gotten that memo! might have gone to my spam folder!

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ageism! Pure ageism! Shame on you. :)

I may have been one of the first on this board to successfully ask an HOA to take back a fixed week because they had changed the exchange terms AND to sell a fixed week for $4500 more than I paid for it.

For entertainment, my late wife and I used to bargain with the cold-callers offering us a free weekend and some swag. We wouldn't go for a toaster, but would for a TV and a couple of $100 gift cards.

I turned 79 two days ago and do not believe I would be conned by a timeshare salesperson.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
You know, we’re all making assumptions. Granted those assumptions are based on past experiences. Maybe the sales guy is really the sales manger taking that tour so a commissioned salesman doesn’t have to try to convince granny to make a bad decision. Maybe, just maybe, he’s having an honest conversation before letting her go without making a purchase but giving her the promised gift.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, we’re all making assumptions. Granted those assumptions are based on past experiences. Maybe the sales guy is really the sales manger taking that tour so a commissioned salesman doesn’t have to try to convince granny to make a bad decision. Maybe, just maybe, he’s having an honest conversation before letting her go without making a purchase but giving her the promised gift.
Hope you are joking 😀 😀.
Wish that were true. But after having seen what I like to call fuzzy math this guys have thrown my way, I will not put it past them to cause her to overdraft her account if they can pull it off.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ive had my own neighbor come to me (years later) showing me how she was sold an "upgrade" to her ownership and she was well into her 80s!

I dont have the capability to do something like that, but it sure is prevalent in the timeshare sales field!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I don’t put it past them to sell an 80 year old, but, have had sales managers take the bullet and do our tour so the sales people on commission could concentrate on others more likely to buy.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Nope. There for *hours.* (my conference was done; I was working at the neighboring clusters of chairs until I needed to catch a Lyft to the airport.) They were still there when I left. I’m not sure why he took her out of the room with the other victims…maybe to isolate the weakest from the rest the herd?

I couldn’t believe how long it lasted, esp since it’s not like they were touring units. At one point I was really tempted to tear the sell sheet off of the small table between them

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I dont doubt they were trying to sell her. Having owned timeshare since 1998 and having sat thru countless presentations and “updates”. I’ve seen enough to know there are unscrupulous salesmen.

However, I’ve also met salesmen that had a moral compass and didn’t use the fuzzy math, exaggerated stories or outright lies to close a deal. Unless you’re hearing the conversation, you’re making assumptions. Granted it’s an assumption based on experience.

Could it be possible he was keeping her company while her children, probably on their 50’s or 60’s, were being presented in the main room? Maybe they attended but couldn’t leave mom/grandma alone because she has some confusion. She has a walker. It might be the “younger” people in the traveling party are worried she’d fall if left alone to long. They often make accommodations for parents with children. Why not for adults caring for their elderly parents?

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
That is why I carry TUG info pages to all my timeshare stays. I fold them up small (fit in the palm of my hand) with the TUG heading and 'buy resale -save thousands' showing. I go around the presentation waiting room or in the buffet line and hand them out.
I've only been called out once by the sales staff and told to stop "soliciting" or I'd be asked to leave! Lol

~Diane

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Could it be possible he was keeping her company while her children, probably on their 50’s or 60’s, were being presented in the main room? Maybe they attended but couldn’t leave mom/grandma alone because she has some confusion. She has a walker. It might be the “younger” people in the traveling party are worried she’d fall if left alone to long. They often make accommodations for parents with children. Why not for adults caring for their elderly parents?
He wouldn't have needed the sell sheet he kept referencing if he was just keeping her company. And I was close enough to overhear snippets of conversation, which were definitely sales-related.