• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt External Exchange

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know we have some experts on TUG at using their Hyatt points through Interval. We have not yet - but do have points in the EEE. I have used Interval through Marriott, but Hyatt’s process seems a bit different.
1). Do the EEE points stay with Hyatt until you use them in Interval? And does this mean you have to call Hyatt to actually book the Interval exchange? Which means you can only book during business hours, or am I missing something? I don’t see the EEE points when logging into Interval. I only see them on Hyatt.
2). If the EEE is good for two years, does that mean the Interval exchange must be completed by then or just booked within this time.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide on this. We spoke with Hyatt but don’t think the rep really understood the program himself.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
1) They don't stay in Hyatt. They wouldn't be worth anything to Interval if they did.. You have to move them to Interval at least four months before your week. Once there, they stay in Interval.
Since Hyatt owners never see Hyatt properties in Interval, someone who owns more than one system will have to comment how it works trading into Hyatt from Interval.

2) I don't know this one. Call 800-GO-HYATT and ask. I always spend my points almost as soon as I receive them.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) They don't stay in Hyatt. They wouldn't be worth anything to Interval if they did.. You have to move them to Interval at least four months before your week. Once there, they stay in Interval.
Since Hyatt owners never see Hyatt properties in Interval, someone who owns more than one system will have to comment how it works trading into Hyatt from Interval.

2) I don't know this one. Call 800-GO-HYATT and ask. I always spend my points almost as soon as I receive them.
Thanks. But not sure what you mean by you have to move them to Interval? We moved them to EEE but Hyatt told us that is where they stay until you make an Interval reservation?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Thanks. But not sure what you mean by you have to move them to Interval? We moved them to EEE but Hyatt told us that is where they stay until you make an Interval reservation?

The sooner you ignore Hyatt's alphabet soup of CUP, LCUP, EEE and similar, the better.

If you put your points into Interval -- even partial points (not a full week like I usually do) -- those points are converted into as many whole weeks as possible -- breaking up the lock-offs at Sunset Harbor and Pinon Point, for instance. Then those weeks can be traded as normal by other non-Hyatt Interval members. (Hyatt owners don't even see what Hyatt timeshares are available for trade. We're stuck with our own internal point system for that. It keeps people from gaming the system -- depositing a 2200 point week and exchanging it back "on the cheap" in Interval.)

Now that the Interval exchange system has been devalued, it's not even really "on the cheap" any more. The points show up on your Hyatt owner page as EEE points. But once put into Interval, there is no way to exchange them back. It is a one-way trip. (Which makes sense because it would be patently unfair to the person who traded into your unit to have the reservation taken away if you change your mind.)

The system used to be simple and was an outstanding value for traders -- so much so that they nerfed the system. I think they devalued it way too much. A bronze owner can barely do anything in Interval now.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
2). If the EEE is good for two years, does that mean the Interval exchange must be completed by then or just booked within this time.
The II exchange must be booked not completed before the points expire.

You do all your II bookings on the II website. That’s what I do. II and Hyatt work it out and I get my confirmation a day or so later. Or you call 800-GO-HYATT and ask for the II desk.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know we have some experts on TUG at using their Hyatt points through Interval. We have not yet - but do have points in the EEE. I have used Interval through Marriott, but Hyatt’s process seems a bit different.
1). Do the EEE points stay with Hyatt until you use them in Interval? And does this mean you have to call Hyatt to actually book the Interval exchange? Which means you can only book during business hours, or am I missing something? I don’t see the EEE points when logging into Interval. I only see them on Hyatt.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide on this. We spoke with Hyatt but don’t think the rep really understood the program himself.

I think I am interpreting your question differently that Scoop.

You have to move your points to EEE as stated at least 4 months before your owned week. Once you move them, they stay in Hyatt but are in the EEE bucket and not usuable for anything but Interval. Once you make a reservation, they are spent/moved to Interval.

You book from the Interval site, which does not see your points. You can search and make reservations for more points than you have - but it will fail once they try and get the points from Hyatt. So it usually takes a day to confirm a reservation.

The points are good for 2 years past your use date - not from when you move them. So if you moved them 6 months before your use date, they are good for 30 months. And you just have to spend them within 30 months - not travel. But if you did reserve past their expiration date and wanted to cancel after the expiration date but before the travel date, you would not get the points back since they are past expiration.

Hyatt has different points buckets, and they all are similar as far as the life of the points - it is just about the expiration of those points and any limitations put on them (like LCUP).

EEE is great in that you basically buy another 2 years to use the points. Once could argue that it is 18 months because LCUP (Hyatt resv only) goes another 6 months - but LCUP reservations have a 2 month restriction on booking so EEE (Interval only) really gives you 2 extra years of life for point to use within Interval.

The Hyatt rules are not really complicated, but the application of them can be.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Once you move them, they stay in Hyatt but are in the EEE bucket and not usuable for anything but Interval.

From the owner's perspective on the Hyatt clubhouse website, that's true. But from Interval's perspective, once points are moved into Interval, there they stay. That's how Interval acquires Hyatt inventory to make available to their other members. The original deal was that a Bronze owner had parity with every other Interval member as far as an even swap 2-bedroom for 2-bedroom was concerned. Higher-tier Hyatt owners got better deals because they owned more attractive weeks.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I am interpreting your question differently that Scoop.

You have to move your points to EEE as stated at least 4 months before your owned week. Once you move them, they stay in Hyatt but are in the EEE bucket and not usuable for anything but Interval. Once you make a reservation, they are spent/moved to Interval.

You book from the Interval site, which does not see your points. You can search and make reservations for more points than you have - but it will fail once they try and get the points from Hyatt. So it usually takes a day to confirm a reservation.

The points are good for 2 years past your use date - not from when you move them. So if you moved them 6 months before your use date, they are good for 30 months. And you just have to spend them within 30 months - not travel. But if you did reserve past their expiration date and wanted to cancel after the expiration date but before the travel date, you would not get the points back since they are past expiration.

Hyatt has different points buckets, and they all are similar as far as the life of the points - it is just about the expiration of those points and any limitations put on them (like LCUP).

EEE is great in that you basically buy another 2 years to use the points. Once could argue that it is 18 months because LCUP (Hyatt resv only) goes another 6 months - but LCUP reservations have a 2 month restriction on booking so EEE (Interval only) really gives you 2 extra years of life for point to use within Interval.

The Hyatt rules are not really complicated, but the application of them can be.
Thank you - you understood my question exactly. That is what I didn't understand - why I wasn't seeing the points in the Interval account. But sounds like I am not supposed to as they stay with Hyatt until something is booked. And great clarification on the time to use - I have a little longer than I thought. I had contacted Hyatt a few times and no one at owners services or Interval really could explain as well as you just did. That is why Tug is great.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highland Inn
DVC Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Thank you - you understood my question exactly. That is what I didn't understand - why I wasn't seeing the points in the Interval account. But sounds like I am not supposed to as they stay with Hyatt until something is booked. And great clarification on the time to use - I have a little longer than I thought. I had contacted Hyatt a few times and no one at owners services or Interval really could explain as well as you just did. That is why Tug is great.

The other thing to realize is that if you’re selling your unit, points that you “moved” to EEE are not ”moved” to Interval. They’re still sitting in your Hyatt account and stay with it when you sell. Whereas booked Interval reservations are actually “in” Interval and stay with the Interval account when you sell the Hyatt ownership.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other thing to realize is that if you’re selling your unit, points that you “moved” to EEE are not ”moved” to Interval. They’re still sitting in your Hyatt account and stay with it when you sell. Whereas booked Interval reservations are actually “in” Interval and stay with the Interval account when you sell the Hyatt ownership.
Good point. I am also counting on that.

If i ever sell, i would make reservations before with some/most of the EEE points I stuff away. I would put a GC on them in my name. I would not be able to change them after the account closes (I have one contract) - but I am thinking i could use the reservations.

I am curious about the closing of the Interval account. I assume it would not close when my ownership ceases - but would close at the end of the year when not paid for out of my dues.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - good tip. Not selling just yet but we could get to that point with the ever increasing maintenance fees at Carmel.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highland Inn
DVC Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Good point. I am also counting on that.

If i ever sell, i would make reservations before with some/most of the EEE points I stuff away. I would put a GC on them in my name. I would not be able to change them after the account closes (I have one contract) - but I am thinking i could use the reservations.

I am curious about the closing of the Interval account. I assume it would not close when my ownership ceases - but would close at the end of the year when not paid for out of my dues.

That’s a great question about the closing of the II account. I’m about to complete the sale of my High Sierra week but will keep the Highlands Inn unit for the time being. I need to consider the timing of any sale of Highlands Inn relative to existing II reservations, hadn’t thought of that!