• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to get out of a WestGate Timeshare

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate
WE bought the timeshare about 23 days ago while we were on vacation. We were offered a used deal 1 time only and my wife purchased it.

We both came down with covid and just now getting a chance to look at everything however it says the period is only 10 days. Do I have any recourse?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
would certainly still suggest making an effort to rescind, however being 2 weeks past the 10 day period....the chances are slim.

costs nothing to try though!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I hope you are recovering? What did you buy? What do you mean used? A resale?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate
We bought a deeded time share in Orlanda, they basically said here is a deal we can only offer you this deal 1 time because another couple is upgrading. So they sai dnormally it costs 50k this one is 28k, you're taking over an existing timeshare.. FL law says we can only offer you this deal under these circumstances or something like that.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We bought a deeded time share in Orlanda, they basically said here is a deal we can only offer you this deal 1 time because another couple is upgrading. So they sai dnormally it costs 50k this one is 28k, you're taking over an existing timeshare.. FL law says we can only offer you this deal under these circumstances or something like that.
Yeah, all BS. But, it works!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
With Wastegate (as they are known here), I think they won't cancel this sale. Their sales dep't plays hardball. Feel free to send a rescission letter stressing Covid as the reason you are asking for an exception to the state law, but keep your expectations limited. OTOH, about half of TUGgers bought their first TS from the developer, so if you are an owner, you're in good company. Westgate's resorts are nice, and you can have many good vacations. Yes, you were sold a bill of goods, but at least you didn't pay full retail. You saw some value in the ownership, so pay off the high interest loan, so you don't have that hanging over you. Pay the $15 to join TUG and use it to see thousands of reviews on resorts around the world- and as a bonus, NO ADS ON TUG!.

Good Luck! We're glad you are recovering, and Welcome to TUG!

Jim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate
I'm trying to understand why in the world she agreed to a 6400 per year bill for 1 week stay.

They did offer us 2 for 1 on our Orlando time share

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This entire scenario is sad since a Westgate Timeshare can be purchased on eBay for just one dollar.

Do attempt a late rescission, however it is highly unlikely Westgate will honor it for any reason.

Best of luck!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Did only your wife sign the paperwork? If yes divorce her that way you are out of it.;):rolleyes::whooopie:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate
Also, they said she didn't have to pay this years taxes but she would have to pay next years, did she sign everything?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I certainly don't want to step in between the OP and his wife, but it would seem that she made the purchase independently. In that case, it would be HER who has standing to file for rescission. I guess it would depend on what ownership box she checked. Sole ownership or Joint Tenancy with Right or Survivorship.

I hate this type of questions here?!?

Jim

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
How many of WE signed the papers?

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
IMO Westgate is the worst of all the systems. As long as I didn't need to buy a house in the next 7 years, I would (personally) refuse to pay and just let it hit my credit. I care more about thousands of dollars than my credit score. That's the only way out. Figure out what matters more to you.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
If you financed the 28K with their financial services and pay off the loan in the scheduled time, you’ll be paying close to $55K when it’s all said and done. Try a late rescission or like others have said, just default if you’re not worried about your credit rating in the short term

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
i'm just looking for any loop hole,
They have platoons of lawyers writing those contracts. They WILL obey state and federal credit laws, but Wastegate will NOT allow an inch more. There are NO loopholes. Sorry, but that's how they are. For a little side entertainment, watch the movie 'The Queen Of Versailles'. It's about the owner's family and them building the biggest house in America. Great insight.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They have platoons of lawyers writing those contracts. They WILL obey state and federal credit laws, but Wastegate will NOT allow an inch more. There are NO loopholes. Sorry, but that's how they are. For a little side entertainment, watch the movie 'The Queen Of Versailles'. It's about the owner's family and them building the biggest house in America. Great insight.
When they watch that, they will learn how Westgate saved their life!

Completely ignore the scam company that posted this video, but the video itself is quite insightful and shows how summy this company really is.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
WE bought the timeshare about 23 days ago while we were on vacation. We were offered a used deal 1 time only and my wife purchased it.

We both came down with covid and just now getting a chance to look at everything however it says the period is only 10 days. Do I have any recourse?

NOTE: Now that you're an owner be sure to AVOID anyone who wants money up front in order to get you out from under your Timeshare ownership. Anyone who makes those promises are blowing smoke up your ankle and are out to steal your hard earned money. They'll promise you the world and do absolutely nothing!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Jackie <3333

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
People fall for their sales lies/tricks everyday. You should not feel bad over it but remember you just fed the beast that allows them to keep selling to others. If sales stopped they would stop, slow down or have to reinvent.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate
I mean why don't we all just get together and trade off their time share stupid tours until it's paid off with their credits