• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to get out of a timeshare sales presentation quickly?

jasontugaccount

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took a cheap stay at Sandos Playacar in exchange for 90-120 minutes of a sales presentation.

What tactics are best to make that end as quickly as possible?

My working plan is to refuse to engage with them. I.e.:
Sales: how often do you like to travel?
Me: I'm not willing to tell you anything about myself. I will not buy anything or speak and plan to leave in 120 minutes or less. Please finish your presentation as soon as possible.

Too blunt? Anything better?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I took a cheap stay at Sandos Playacar in exchange for 90-120 minutes of a sales presentation.

Me: I'm not willing to tell you anything about myself. I will not buy anything or speak and plan to leave in 120 minutes or less. Please finish your presentation as soon as possible.

I have brought in copies of eBay offerings at pennies on the dollar. That worked well as well.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

1. if you have enough time before your meeting, the first thing you should do is buy a TUG t-shirt for yourself, and significant other, if applicable, to wear to your meeting. The sales personnel will know you’re serious about NOT buying anything.
2. Your statement is fine as far as I’m concerned but you (probably) don’t need to be rude. It’s fine to chat with them, just don’t give any personal information.
3. They may tell you they need a credit card and ID in order to process your gift. It’s BS! The gift isn’t going on your credit card. If you give it to them, they will run a credit check, and according to some other recent threads, may actually issue you a credit card that you don’t want.

Good luck!

jasontugaccount

TUG Member
Reaction score
The terms require a non-debit credit card at check in. They will charge it $750 as a deposit that I will get back at check out if I attend the presentation while I'm there. So the resort will have my ID and credit card. Hopefully that doesn't translate into unscrupulous sales people having it.

The savings is about $1000 over renting from a current timeshare owner and about $1200 over booking directly.

I think what they are selling is Royal Elite Vacation Club points. I'm not seeing a lot on the resale market. But SMTN does have some that I can print and bring. Resale on there is $5k for 20k points. But I don't know what a point does in their system and I don't want to end up in a debate over the vale of resale points, especially ones I don't understand.

Thanks for the tshirt link, that's definitely a good idea.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Don't do this. Announcing that you are unwilling to talk won't go well. There might be some fine print in the presentation agreement that requires some level of willingness to have a discussion.

You can, however, give short vague answers, cross your arms, and appear bored and impatient with the process. :hi:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

@jasontugaccount

If they have $750 of your money to attend and you don't participate, they simply say you didn't make a good-faith appearance and keep your money.

It might be easier (though more risky) to just sign up then rescind the same day. Hand out a few PROFECO brochures to other attendees.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Yikes! A $750 hold on your credit card for a Mexico travel club presentation! Plan on some heavy pressure to buy. I like the strategy of needing to discuss with your bankruptcy attorney.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Plan on some heavy pressure to buy.

Also plan on it going longer than 120 minutes. The more difficult the guests are, the more willing the managers are to punish them for their intransigence. The salespeople will want to spin such tours out and get a crack at more malleable people. But the managers don't care how long they keep people. And they'll use the credit card hold like the Sword of Damocles. I'd expect a parade of closers, each more insufferable than the last.

A timeshare presentation combines all the worst aspects of a tax audit, being cross examined, and being roasted by unfriendly comedians. I'd rather spend the money and not have an entire day wasted.

jasontugaccount

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, there are no negative consequences if you quit paying maintenance or even a loan on one of these for an American. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing much on the resale market.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I was planning on starting a timer and taking a picture at the start to prove I was there and at what time then again at the end then start showing the timer to sales at the 90 minute mark.

They can play the "you weren't serious, we're keeping your deposit, or you can leave right now" card. You're not the first person to come up with the strategy of "if I'm exceedingly difficult, they'll pass me over for easier targets." Most places have a strategy for such people. Often, that strategy is to make them as miserable as possible -- lest they get in the habit of it.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
From what I've read, there are no negative consequences if you quit paying maintenance or even a loan on one of these for an American. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing much on the resale market.

I don't have any experience with Mexican timeshares. From what I've read, they make the transfer fees so egregious that people don't bother. Most people walk away. And then they can sell the week again.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Since many systems are now using Points, perhaps printing out the applicable list from ROFR.net and asking "why would I pay $14 a point for Marriott points when I can pay $7 a point on the resale market. I've found that I speak loud enough for others to hear me, that the sales person throws in the towel so that I don't taint the rest of the potential buyers.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Hopefully that doesn't translate into unscrupulous sales people having it.
No hopefully about it. Unscrupulous timeshare sales people will have your ID and credit card.
You are asking for more trouble than the money you are saving is worth.

jasontugaccount

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since many systems are now using Points, perhaps printing out the applicable list from ROFR.net and asking "why would I pay $14 a point for Marriott points when I can pay $7 a point on the resale market. I've found that I speak loud enough for others to hear me, that the sales person throws in the towel so that I don't taint the rest of the potential buyers.
Thanks. That is a good point.

jasontugaccount

TUG Member
Reaction score
No hopefully about it. Unscrupulous timeshare sales people will have your ID and credit card.
You are asking for more trouble than the money you are saving is worth.
Y'all are making me wish I just rented a timeshare from an owner instead of this method...

But, I am committed at this point. so I'll make the best of it.

Even if I paid the $750 extra and skipped the presentation, I'd still get a decent deal for the trip. But, I'm leaning towards going to the presentation. If they charge me, I can dispute it with the credit card.

jasontugaccount

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandos is owned by RCI. So, I am going to assume RCI points is the default exchange system. RCI points can be had very cheaply.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Y'all are making me wish I just rented a timeshare from an owner instead of this method...

But, I am committed at this point. so I'll make the best of it.

Even if I paid the $750 extra and skipped the presentation, I'd still get a decent deal for the trip. But, I'm leaning towards going to the presentation. If they charge me, I can dispute it with the credit card.
Go to the presentation. Soak up the information, and when the time comes, just tell them, "no." and again, "No." and however many times it takes. You'll learn some, and get out in the time they say you owe them. You don't have to get nasty, and they won't. If they press the point, just tell them that "Now is NOT the time. Maybe next time I visit. Thanks for the tour. I committed to 2 hours. Now, Good Bye."

Jim

kupool

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great advice Jim.

Go to the presentation. Soak up the information, and when the time comes, just tell them, "no." and again, "No." and however many times it takes. You'll learn some, and get out in the time they say you owe them. You don't have to get nasty, and they won't. If they press the point, just tell them that "Now is NOT the time. Maybe next time I visit. Thanks for the tour. I committed to 2 hours. Now, Good Bye."

Jim

What I have found to be successful is to be polite, smile, and say "No thank you". When pressed, I say with a smile. "You are undoubtedly a great sales person and an outstanding employee. I'm sure you are one of the best your boss has. Unfortunately for you, you have me today, and I'm not evenly remotely interested in buying. Zip, Zilch, Nada, Not Happening. I hope you have a good rest of your day and best of success in your future sales efforts." Upon hearing this, the sales rep goes and gets the Manager. The manager either says, "I hear you are not going to do anything today, please go to X and they will give you the award for attending." or "I hear you are not interested in purchasing, can I ask why?" Me with a smile "Certainly. I have no interest in further vacation interest. I can't even use all that I have. But I appreciate the information provided by <name of salesperson> and I understand why <sales person> is such a fine employee. What do I need to do to wrap this up? Thank you for your understanding." I have found the kind approach, no interest in further vacation experiences, and a smile to be the best way to end the presentation early.