• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

Tens of thousands of subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How long does it take to get deed transferred when you close the deal yourself?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am buying a week from another TUG member and I was wondering how long it takes to get the deed recorded and be the official owner, recognized as such by the resort.

The week is coming up within about three months, so I would need to deposit the week into II within 60 days to get any kind of exchange power. Is this a hopeless effort?

Thanks in advance! :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
my input on 2 points...too many unknowns...

depends on where the title is being recorded? it took 30 days for WSJ to be recorded in the USVI, and less than a week for WKORV in Maui.

how fast the association management can transfer ownership? 7-10 days for SVO/SVN to record us as WKORV owners - and due to their ancient computer systems ('funny' story that I will share when I can find the time...) there were a few mishaps that caused further delay

don't know how fast to get into II once you are the recognized owner...

travelhound

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
California is slow. 45 days plus. I think you can speed it up if you go through a closing agency.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I would also recommend using a Title company to control escrow and document flow - I understand there are inexpensive ones listed here on TUG.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Deed

When I purchased my time share in Kissimmee, I called the registrars office. I was told that if someone walked in to record the deed, it would be done immediately. If it was hand carried in but the person left, that it would be recorded by the end of the day. If it was overnighted in, I think it also had priority. However, if it came in by mail, it was put at the end of the stack and it would take weeks. So, we had a courier bring it in and drop it off. Then I had the final paperwork faxed to me, as well as getting the official copy in the mail.

Sue

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deed Registration

I have recorded a deed in Lee County, FL and at Crossville, TN by walking into the deed office and processing it myself. Of course, all your paper work must be in order.

ahmo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call the county recorder where the property is located and they can tell you how long it takes to record the deed from the time they receive it. Some counties will for a fee send you back a photocopy of the recorded deed as soon as it is recorded.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Thanks!

The week is located in North Carolina.

cozymel

TUG Member
Reaction score
rickandcindy23 said:
The week is located in North Carolina.

It would help to know which county in North Carolina? Some turn around quickly, others can take months.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about have the current owner deposits that week now, and transfer it to you, you paying extra transfer fee or negotiate some deal out of it? Then you have 15 month to get all the transfer.

Don't forget you are transfer at two different entities, local government and resort, and can not do both at the same time. If you are not there, you can only do it through mail.

Jya-Ning

Another thought, let the current owner uses that week, but you will not pay this year's MF, since you apparently don't plan to use that week.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most Registers of Deeds in North Carolina are efficient, and have very quick turnaround. That is NOT the case for Dare County where the OBX is located, however. It can take many weeks there to get the deed back recorded.

I would suggest that you send a photocopy of the executed deed, before recording, to the resort office, and that should be sufficient with many resorts for you to use or deposit your week.

You can also check the land transfer taxes approved at the county tax office, which posts that info online usually the same day. They are at www.co.dare.nc.us They seem much more efficient than the Register of Deeds.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, Carolinian, that is a great idea!

Now to start copying that deed.

Do I retype the entire thing, word for word? I read the advice section and wondered why I couldn't just copy most of the pages. Would that be acceptable?

ahmo

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can photocopy the pages, as long as it is a clean legible copy or else the county recorder would reject it. Many times legal decriptions of real property deeds are photocopied bc there is no risk of typing errors.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
rickandcindy23 said:
Now to start copying that deed.

Do I retype the entire thing, word for word? I read the advice section and wondered why I couldn't just copy most of the pages. Would that be acceptable?

The deed is rarely over 2 pages long. Be sure that you have the deed, and not the deed of trust.