• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How A Coinbase User Lost $11.6 Million 10 Minutes After Bitcoin Purchase

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
  • Wow
Reactions: RX8

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
How can anyone now have faith in Bitcoin ??????

Its nothing to do with Bitcoin, its about someone that was gullible and allowed his account to get hacked through social engineering. It could just as easily been a bank account or retirement savings, there are stories of that happening also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Its nothing to do with Bitcoin, its about someone that was gullible and allowed his account to get hacked through social engineering. It could just as easily been a bank account or retirement savings, there are stories of that happening also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cryptos are getting hacked all the time. China has banned them. So far, in 2021 almost 3 billion dollars were lost to crypto hackers.

Bill

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cryptos are getting hacked all the time. China has banned them. So far, in 2021 almost 3 billion dollars were lost to crypto hackers.

Bill
When China bans something IMHO, that is a huge red flag.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of these things are like buying lottery tickets. My Son told me invested $250 to buy shares of Shiba Inu at $.0000097. He told me something like if it goes to 1¢ he will have something like a half million dollars. Don't hold me to the math. I didn't bother to check it out. Last I looked his crypto was trading at $.0000272...

George

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Some of these things are like buying lottery tickets. My Son told me invested $250 to buy shares of some coin at $.0000097. He told me something like if it goes to 1¢ he will have something like a half million dollars. Don't hold me to the math. I didn't bother to check it out. Last I looked his crypto was trading at $.0000272...

George

My niece is into that one. I could be Shibainu which is a token hosted on etherium's blockchain. The reason this will likely take off is that sales are supposedly untraceable on the shibaswap. The IRS is looking at cryptos and owning cryptos can trigger an audit is just another reason I don't like cryptos.

Bill

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought $25 worth of some Bitcoin subset bc Venmo was offering $25 if I bought it and held it on their app for a few weeks. I bought it...I got the Venmo $25...I sold the $25 in Bitcoin subset, now worth about $23. So definite profit there.

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently transferred some bitcoin from a Coinbase wallet in connection with an investment I'm participating in. (Transferring or exchanging bitcoin is taxed the same as selling it, so it's going to cost me income tax.) I have to admit it was pretty stressful. Not Coinbase's fault, in fact Coinbase made me upload pictures of an ID and a freshly snapped selfie to prove I'm really me. (Had I not supplied the proof they would have put a 3-day hold on the transfer to give the real me a shot at canceling the transaction.)

The transfer is somewhat stressful because you're sending the funds to your recipient's public key, something like bc1qzjr4jxffxlevkydzu25yajnren6txslgngqnen. Copy and paste with care--get a digit wrong and the money goes to someone else. No backsies.

As to the victim in the original post, he's no different than someone who allows somebody calling from India to take over their account.

Reaction score
In terms of Shiba Inu, someone bought early on and is now a multi-BILLIONARE! People wondered if the person would cash out. Well, they did by transferring the $$$ into a few "wallets", causing Shiba Inu's price to plummet. The price is starting to go back up, this afternoon it was slightly over $0.00005 per coin.

TS

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought $25 worth of some Bitcoin subset bc Venmo was offering $25 if I bought it and held it on their app for a few weeks. I bought it...I got the Venmo $25...I sold the $25 in Bitcoin subset, now worth about $23. So definite profit there.
Huh? Obviously I don't understand the lingo. Bought at $25 and sold at $23? Where is the profit?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Huh? Obviously I don't understand the lingo. Bought at $25 and sold at $23? Where is the profit?
My guess. Sounds like bought for $25 with understanding that if held for a few weeks the $25 would be refunded and that purchaser would still own the Bitcoin which was later sold for $23. Thus profit was $23 as cost was nothing...

George

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess. Sounds like bought for $25 with understanding that if held for a few weeks the $25 would be refunded and that purchaser would still own the Bitcoin which was later sold for $23. Thus profit was $23 as cost was nothing...

George
Exactly. The deal was that Venmo gave me $25 if I bought the Bitcoin. I bought, I sold, I got back $23 of my original investment plus $25 from Venmo.