• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Point Expiry - Use into the Future?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have some HICV points that will be expiring at the end of 2020. Does anyone know whether the expiry date for Holiday Inn points is based on a "book date" or a "use date."

Specifically, I have points expiring in Dec 2020 that I would like to use for a March 2021 reservation. Obviously I would make that reservation well before the points expire in Dec 2020, but I'm not sure whether they would let me use them for that or not.

Any experiences (or someone who had points expiring at the end of 2019 and could check whether they work in 2020) would be much appreciated.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Use Date NOT book date. Remember those points expiring in Dec 2020 are actually 2019 points. Because HICV gives you 2 years to use the annual allotment

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
For a fee you can roll over expiring points for 6 months.

Lots of times you can find that reservation on RCI on our web page booking stay will lock that in for 2021 without extending the points.
But
The RCI fee would probably be more than the extending the points fee to book directly and exactly the days you want.

Dave

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The points I'm talking about are actually global choice points. The HICV rep told me I'd have 2 years from the check in date to use them, but it appears I have 2 years from the start of the year the check in date is in.

The week I deposited into HICV was a 2019 week 52, so that effectively makes them expire a whole year earlier than I expected.

I will either rent them out or use them for RCI (which is silly since that's where they came from!)

Apparently only regular points are eligible for the extension.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a fee you can roll over expiring points for 6 months.

Lots of times you can find that reservation on RCI on our web page booking stay will lock that in for 2021 without extending the points.
But
The RCI fee would probably be more than the extending the points fee to book directly and exactly the days you want.

Dave

Just to confirm on this - so HICV will take the oldest points in my account for an RCI trade? I have a 2021 trade request in already, which I think is relatively likely to match. If it does, they'll be ok to take the points that expire prior to 2021? So effectively that means HICV points usage is based on usage date, whereas using them for RCI is based on booking date.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Might be worth a phone call and get the information directly from HICV.......

I've called twice about other things and asked both reps. I got one yes and one no, which didnt leave me brimming with confidence. Tuggers are almost always more reliable than timeshare customer service people, imo, because information tends to be based on what actually happens.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
If you move them to IHG they never expire.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you move them to IHG they never expire.
I doubt they would let you move global access points to IHG and even if they did the expiration date to do so would have passed. HICV points can only be moved to IHG on use year (not the second year) and has to be done before October 1.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Just to confirm on this - so HICV will take the oldest points in my account for an RCI trade? I have a 2021 trade request in already, which I think is relatively likely to match. If it does, they'll be ok to take the points that expire prior to 2021? So effectively that means HICV points usage is based on usage date, whereas using them for RCI is based on booking date.
I believe that is correct.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Oh I didn’t know that, I usually move some points when I pay my maintenance fees,
We just used our remaining 2019 HICV points to stay at Cape Canaveral for a couple of nights.
Have you tried to book a stay at another HICV resort? When you go thru RCI point values are much lower than exchanging within the HICV directly.
Silentg

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that is correct.

Thanks! I'll report back if I get a match and I have 2019 points left, although I'm hoping to get them used in the HICV system first (probably a long weekend in Galveston) if my wife can get a few vacation days approved.

Grnmn1

Reaction score
Can I use expiring 2021 points for a reservation in 2023 without paying for extension fee?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can I use expiring 2021 points for a reservation in 2023 without paying for extension fee?
Not within HICV. You can use RCI today or tomorrow for 2023 or 2024 with those points but you would have to pay the rci exchange fee.