• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HKB Sales Office Closing

LLJS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Purchasing Hyatt Kaanapali
We (me and my Mom) attended a timeshare presentation on 7/19/24 at the HKB, and when I commented on our reps beautiful office view, the rep said they are in the last month of their sales ops so that view will be no longer. In 4 weeks, he/they are losing their jobs, and closing up shop. He was going back to being a realtor on the island. I asked what they were doing with all the sales offices space next to Hyatt regency, and he didn’t know.

This presentation was a requirement of our 5 night $2495 promotional package for a 2 bedroom (paid for in ‘21), that included a $250 resort credit (which we used to rent one of their lovely new swivel cabanas near the beach, which was $200 but included a $25 food credit!). My Mom needed some downtime from my go-go itinerary, and that was something we would never have paid for, and it turned out to be a spectacular memory and experience.

Anyway… this was my third time staying at the HKB on a 5 night 2 bedroom mktg promo package requiring a timeshare presentation (the first was in ‘19 for $995, the second in ‘21 for $1995, and the last was July, 2024.)

I can validate the sales staff is top notch!

One stand out experience: We originally had a mid July 5 night booking for 2023, but my dads health took a turn for the worst in late June of last year and he ended up dying on July 2nd, and when I reached out to the sales rep Lyndsey to cancel, she immediately extended our package without blinking an eye, despite the late date.

And then this January when I missed out on booking the vacation package for my desired dates this year, she put me on a wait list for my desired dates, which she helped me clear about a month prior to our trip.

Fwiw: My former husband and I never purchased a timeshare nor ever felt pressured to do so. This time, my mother did, on 7/24, but there was zero pressure. Note: we had/have all the cancel paperwork ready to submit by our 7/31 deadline, but based on feedback here, I’m not sure we will. She purchased an every other year mid floor float 2 bedroom and I don’t think we can do much better in the resale market there right now.

Regardless. I obviously ADORE this resort and we extended our stay to 10 nights by booking an add’l 5 nights using Hyatt points (53k/night for a 2 bedroom). Seriously the best value in Hyatt points available! It it took some gymnastics and twice daily checking to knit together 5 consecutive nights but so worth it!

This was our first time staying on a low floor (2nd and 3rd), and I seriously loved it way more than I thought I would. View was still amazing!

Note: Many of the staff were heavily impacted by the fires, including losing their homes, but of course also being laid off for an extended period of time post fire.

Noteworthy: Every single interaction I have had with their sales and marketing staff over the course of 5 years has been impeccable.

Kudus to them, and best of luck to all in their next endeavors.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
My daughter booked her 5 day package for summer 2025 so they must be doing presentations. Maybe some are leaving as they are going to market the HPP program?

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We (me and my Mom) attended a timeshare presentation on 7/19/24 at the HKB, and when I commented on our reps beautiful office view, the rep said they are in the last month of their sales ops so that view will be no longer. In 4 weeks, he/they are losing their jobs, and closing up shop. He was going back to being a realtor on the island. I asked what they were doing with all the sales offices space next to Hyatt regency, and he didn’t know.

This presentation was a requirement of our 5 night $2495 promotional package for a 2 bedroom (paid for in ‘21), that included a $250 resort credit (which we used to rent one of their lovely new swivel cabanas near the beach, which was $200 but included a $25 food credit!). My Mom needed some downtime from my go-go itinerary, and that was something we would never have paid for, and it turned out to be a spectacular memory and experience.

Anyway… this was my third time staying at the HKB on a 5 night 2 bedroom mktg promo package requiring a timeshare presentation (the first was in ‘19 for $995, the second in ‘21 for $1995, and the last was July, 2024.)

I can validate the sales staff is top notch!

One stand out experience: We originally had a mid July 5 night booking for 2023, but my dads health took a turn for the worst in late June of last year and he ended up dying on July 2nd, and when I reached out to the sales rep Lyndsey to cancel, she immediately extended our package without blinking an eye, despite the late date.

And then this January when I missed out on booking the vacation package for my desired dates this year, she put me on a wait list for my desired dates, which she helped me clear about a month prior to our trip.

Fwiw: My former husband and I never purchased a timeshare nor ever felt pressured to do so. This time, my mother did, on 7/24, but there was zero pressure. Note: we had/have all the cancel paperwork ready to submit by our 7/31 deadline, but based on feedback here, I’m not sure we will. She purchased an every other year mid floor float 2 bedroom and I don’t think we can do much better in the resale market there right now.

Regardless. I obviously ADORE this resort and we extended our stay to 10 nights by booking an add’l 5 nights using Hyatt points (53k/night for a 2 bedroom). Seriously the best value in Hyatt points available! It it took some gymnastics and twice daily checking to knit together 5 consecutive nights but so worth it!

This was our first time staying on a low floor (2nd and 3rd), and I seriously loved it way more than I thought I would. View was still amazing!

Note: Many of the staff were heavily impacted by the fires, including losing their homes, but of course also being laid off for an extended period of time post fire.

Noteworthy: Every single interaction I have had with their sales and marketing staff over the course of 5 years has been impeccable.

Kudus to them, and best of luck to all in their next endeavors.
Great summary, and congratulations on your purchase. We've traded into HKB twice and have another trade reservation for January. We love the resort and the entire Hyatt Residence Club system (or what they now call the "Heritage Collection". The terrible tragedy of one year ago in Lahaina will continue to reverberate on Maui for years to come--and with uncertain results. Many of the former residents have been permanently displaced, and I see little hope that affordable housing will be built in time to keep many of those who have stayed.

We were happy to see that the tour boats and restaurants were busy and vibrant during our visit earlier this year, and we look forward to our next visit.

Here's wishing you and your mom many wonderful memories together at HKB and West Maui. Aloha!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Closing of the HKB Sales office presents some interesting issues.

Sales of Weeks: It is the only resort in the Hyatt system selling weeks. This will likely tip the "supply/demand" curve where HKB owners will have a larger audience for selling their unit. That could also increase the average selling price.

Remaining Inventory: The HKB sales people clearly saw a declining inventory where they relied on ROFR as a boost. Obviously Marriott made a business decision to close. The developer held the unsold inventory, so what happens to those weeks?? Probably about 75 unit-weeks. My guess is there is extreme pressure on Portfolio to provide HKB reservation options, so they may have had to step up and buy out the developer. That's a huge chunk of coin.

Portfolio: IF Portfolio bought the inventory, that will put some lipstick on that Portfolio pig. The problem becomes points usage to reserve a stay. In Maui, given the travel time, a person really needs to stay the full week (including Saturday). The result would be a demand on the member's cache of points due to the high cost of Saturday stays.

HKB Owners: People who own weeks take great pride in the property and act like how you would expect real estate owners to respect the resort. Priority occupants only own a basket of points and have "no skin in the game". Hopefully it won't be a situation where the tenants are hanging towels over the railing. We see that now in the Hyatt system where you as an HRPP occupant at your resort observe the CUP tenants. There does appear to be a difference such as luggage marks on the walls.

socaltimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is there is extreme pressure on Portfolio to provide HKB reservation options, so they may have had to step up and buy out the developer.

The “developer” was a joint venture between the owners of Hyatt Regency (Host Hotels) and Hyatt Vacation Group. The latter now belongs to Marriott, so not as much chunk of change as only the developer portion seemingly needs to be bought out. And, Marriott should be able to negotiate a good clearance rate per unit.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
75 unit weeks is not that much. I can't see it costing a huge chunk of coin.

cfabar1

Reaction score
with this office closing, does anyone know where the next Hyatt Residence (Vacation) Club will open? I wonder what they are eyeing next....

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe we will not ever see another HRC sales location.

HPP Portfilio is another story. One rumor is Orlando because HPP needs be able to sell new inventory (besides what has been bought up from HRC inventory).

Jeremy has a great video ....

Last edited:

cfabar1

Reaction score
HRC in Orlando would be a big hit! Would resale owners be able to access it?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
HRC in Orlando would be a big hit! Would resale owners be able to access it?
We don't really know enough about the property but suspect it would all go into HPP portfolio. Thus it would be available to HPP owners but anything not reserved at 6 months would seem to have to go into Club inventory and be available to book by legacy HRC (Heritage?) owners.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this does come to pass and HPP is selling in Orlando, it is a prime example of a developer selling something that is not needed. But they will find victims.

Would i like it if it does happen? Of course. I do enjoy short trips to Orlando while visiting friends and relatives in FL. After selling HGVC is has been more work for me to book shorter trips to Orlando between having to use hotel points or renting Marriott Abound points from an owner. And I doubt inventory would be hard to get.

You can get a 2br for a week at so many prime properties using Interval getaways because there is a glut of inventory. There are $500 deals in low season, and even a high season $1300 2br unit at a prime resort in prime season will end up costing far less than the HPP MFs - and that ignores the buy in.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a TON of timeshares in Orlando. Hyatt could set up a sales office but only for HPP sales. No doubt there is a glut of timeshare hucksters willing to ply their trade in another outfit.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There are a TON of timeshares in Orlando. Hyatt could set up a sales office but only for HPP sales. No doubt there is a glut of timeshare hucksters willing to ply their trade in another outfit.
The comments about a sales office in Orlando were based on the fact that most Hyatt sales centers are not in big timeshare sales markets like Orlando, Hawaii or Las Vegas. Or even other larger markets. Many Hyatt resorts and sales centers don't turn a lot of volume. It was all about having a sales center that could turn $30-$40 million in sales a year and that is something that only a large market like Orlando could bring. I made a video about this after the Marriott Vacations Worldwide 2024 first quarter earnings call and I showed where the resort is expected to be along with initial renderings. Hyatt really needs inventory in Orlando in order to sell that much volume. They can't do that with just a sales center and no resort to showcase.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
@dioxide45 I agree and it makes sense for them as a business, which is why it may happen. I got the info from your video which is attached in post #8. You are a wealth of information.

At least when Marriott sells Abound there is some residual resale value. They have made HPP an epically bad deal with their resale rules. And now selling in a flooded market (but with a lot of opportunity).

cfabar1

Reaction score
@dioxide45 I agree and it makes sense for them as a business, which is why it may happen. I got the info from your video which is attached in post #8. You are a wealth of information.

At least when Marriott sells Abound there is some residual resale value. They have made HPP an epically bad deal with their resale rules. And now selling in a flooded market (but with a lot of opportunity).
Would they make the Orlando timeshare all HPP inventory? I don’t think Hawaii was that way? Just Bonita Springs new inventory I think.