• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC non-judicial foreclosure

UPALLNITE

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was out of work for a year with Long-Haul COVID. I was unable to keep up the payments on my 2 HGVC properties. I received notices on both timeshares about non-judicial foreclosures. Will Hilton ALLOW me to save one property from foreclosure and let the other one foreclose? I would like to save the oldest property that I own since I paid alot on that one off already. I still owe alot on the other property

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sorry to hear of your illness.

We are not lawyers. What state are your timeshares in? If you object to foreclosure in Florida or other states, they can come after you for deficiency judgment on your house or wages which may include inflated legal fees on both. This is like being half- pregnant. All or nothing on both.

Do you care about your credit rating or is it already gone?

Read the state sticky. If it were me I would consider letting both go if they are located in a non-deficiecy state like FL. You can rent for MF from owners. Or buy resale for less than what it will cost you to get out of this.

UPALLNITE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kingsland, Hawaii and Elara, Las Vegas

I would like to keep Hawaii one and let Las Vegas foreclose

UPALLNITE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your illness.

We are not lawyers. What state are your timeshares in? If you object to foreclosure in Florida or other states, they can come after you for deficiency judgment on your house or wages which may include inflated legal fees on both. This is like being half- pregnant. All or nothing on both.

Do you care about your credit rating or is it already gone?

Read the state sticky. If it were me I would consider letting both go if they are located in a non-deficiecy state like FL. You can rent for MF from owners. Or buy resale for less than what it will cost you to get out of this.
My credit rating is probably ruined since I had no money coming in for a year.

Hawaii and Las Vegas

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Both Hawaii and Las Vegas are deficiency states per the link I provided which means if they foreclose they possibly can garnish your wages or come after other assets if you have them.

If you don't have assets or income beyond basic living expenses then you likely don't have much to worry about. Are you based in USA? If not, then there is little they can do.

I highly doubt HGVC would let you work out one and not the other - especially if you owe money on Vegas. Why would they? They may be letting you out of both with this notice and if you raise the prospect of saving one, you may make them salivate and think they can get you to pay for both.

Best to speak with a lawyer.

But whatever you do don't pay any fees upfront to timeshare exit or cancellation lawyers who will give you the same advice as this link and will take more of your money with no results.

Good luck. Please let us know what happens.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Of course, not legal opinion, but if you come current and pay back all the monies owed on one of the weeks, they would stop the foreclosure process on that one week. They may still prevent you from making cub reservations though because of default on your other week. Not sure what happens after the week is foreclosed and charged off.

I haven't heard of a single situation where someone in a recourse or deficiency state was ever sued for the difference in what was owed on the timeshare and what it sold for in foreclosure. I would really hope any judge would laugh them out of court. Any amounts written off may trigger a 1099-C and may have tax implications.