• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hertz at Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV), Waikiki, info needed

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
We'll be doing a one-day Hertz car rental (using free rental day cert.) while staying at the Ilikai Hotel, next to the HHV in Waikiki. The Hertz site shows the HHV location closes at 1 PM. I'd like to rent the car in the morning and then drop it off later that evening to avoid paying a big parking fee. Is it possible to drop it off at the HHV after hours or will I have to wait until they open the next morning? Anyone done this? Mahalo.

Followup question: Can anyone use the "beach" at the HHV Lagoon? I'll be right next door. :)

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
We'll be doing a one-day Hertz car rental (using free rental day cert.) while staying at the Ilikai Hotel, next to the HHV in Waikiki. The Hertz site shows the HHV location closes at 1 PM. I'd like to rent the car in the morning and then drop it off later that evening to avoid paying a big parking fee. Is it possible to drop it off at the HHV after hours or will I have to wait until they open the next morning? Anyone done this? Mahalo.

Followup question: Can anyone use the "beach" at the HHV Lagoon? I'll be right next door. :)

You'll probably need to call that Hertz location. I know if you're staying at HHV, you get a voucher for a free night of parking. Don't know if that extends to people not staying on site.

All beaches in Hawaii are public, so anyone can use the beach in front of the Hilton, as well as the Lagoon.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You'll probably need to call that Hertz location. I know if you're staying at HHV, you get a voucher for a free night of parking. Don't know if that extends to people not staying on site.

All beaches in Hawaii are public, so anyone can use the beach in front of the Hilton, as well as the Lagoon.

I didn't know that the HHV Lagoon was on public property (the beach). I assumed it was a man-made lagoon on their property. Good to know. Thanks.

I will call the Hertz location if I don't get an answer.

greenwich3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the bad news. The booth at the Hilton Hotel is always closed or manned by one person. The line is long and slow, even if you have a reservation. I waited an hour and a half to find out there were no cars. People were ticked. They also never answer the phone and the mailbox is full.

I was told there were other car rental places around the corner from there so check it out.

Good Luck!

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is the bad news. The booth at the Hilton Hotel is always closed or manned by one person. The line is long and slow, even if you have a reservation. I waited an hour and a half to find out there were no cars. People were ticked. They also never answer the phone and the mailbox is full.

I was told there were other car rental places around the corner from there so check it out.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the report, I think. I'll start looking at alternative locations. It has to be Hertz because I'm using a free day cert.

greenwich3

TUG Member
Reaction score
You maybe able to do it there so you can try. Set it up early for later in your stay and return the same day. Parking doesn't work there, even if you pay.

However, we go every year and love it so I don't want to give you the wrong idea.

Cheap food is across the treet from the hotel and the beach is great. Pool is nice, but too many kids. For quiet stay on the big island. Kingsland is beautiful.

a1000monkeys

Reaction score
From what I have read elsewhere, you'll have to pay an extra day if you drop off after hours.

This was true when I rented from Thrifty about a block away but luckily they are open until 8p.

There is also an Alamo right across the street from the Ilikai.

Emi

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I have read elsewhere, you'll have to pay an extra day if you drop off after hours.

This was true when I rented from Thrifty about a block away but luckily they are open until 8p.

There is also an Alamo right across the street from the Ilikai.

I have done the one day rental at Hertz at HHV last year. You have to pick up the car in the morning during the hours they were open. I did not have unreasonable wait. We were able to return the car anytime before the next morning. The procedure was to drive up to 5th fl parking level to the area assigned to Hertz. Drop the key and rental agreement in a box there. Please let me know if the procedures have changed.

Thanks

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have done the one day rental at Hertz at HHV last year. You have to pick up the car in the morning during the hours they were open. I did not have unreasonable wait. We were able to return the car anytime before the next morning. The procedure was to drive up to 5th fl parking level to the area assigned to Hertz. Drop the key and rental agreement in a box there. Please let me know if the procedures have changed.

Thanks

From what I've read it's still true. Will update next year, if I remember. :)

danb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rental Car

we usually rent from the dealer just down the Ave from the Grand Wakikian.
Prices are not bad and the cars are good. Very convienent. Just walk past the GW and it next to the ABC store.
I read that the lot at the marina accepts credit cards. if thats true you could park there.
10 Months to Hawaii and waiting.:shrug: :wave:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll be using a "free day" cert from Hertz so I'm set. Looks like all the hotels let you drop off after hours since they close so early. :)

Three months and a week. Aloha, y'all.

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
2 questions:

1. is the hilton voucher dependent on renting specifically from Hertz?

2. Phil, how do you get the free day cert?

Thanks!

Anita

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2 questions:

1. is the hilton voucher dependent on renting specifically from Hertz?

2. Phil, how do you get the free day cert?

Thanks!

Anita

It's NOT a Hilton voucher. It's issued by Hertz to their good customers. Rent a lot from them & you might get one too. Or, have a friend who has one. :D

PClapham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
Thanks, Phil. I just turned up a deal with Enterprise for $31 a day. Can Hertz beat it?

Anita

ps that's for a baby car (economy!)

PClapham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
I just called the Hilton on Waikiki and was told there is no automatic voucher for parking.

Anita:bawl:

Emi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just called the Hilton on Waikiki and was told there is no automatic voucher for parking.

Anita:bawl:

I'm not sure why you need an automatic voucher for parking. Just take a ticket when you pull into the lot and the gate will open. Drive up to the 5th fl and park the car, and drop off the keys in the Hetz designated box.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that the HHV Lagoon was on public property (the beach). I assumed it was a man-made lagoon on their property. Good to know. Thanks.

The Lagoon is technically not Public. Yes, Hilton allows all to use the Lagoon but it is not public. The Lagoon is man made (originally created in 1960) and not directly connected to the Ocean like Ko Olina Lagoons. Just recently did Hilton and HGVC renovated it so that it would be more hospitable to guest.

As for Hertz, I remember seeing a drop box for after hours drop off. However it is always good to call to make sure.

PClapham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
Re parking on Waikiki

The marina beside the Hilton currently has a sign indicating that you can park in Lot A for up to 10 hours for $4.00

Anita

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Rented our car on Tuesday morning at HHV and only had to wait 10 minutes in line. Lots of Japanese tourist there. Dropped off the car in the parking garage that afternoon and then dropped the keys & contract in a box by the elevator. Easy-squeezy. :)

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Rented our car on Tuesday morning at HHV and only had to wait 10 minutes in line. Lots of Japanese tourist there. Dropped off the car in the parking garage that afternoon and then dropped the keys & contract in a box by the elevator. Easy-squeezy. :)

What are they charging these days?

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What are they charging these days?

You'll have to check their website. I had a Free Day cert so it was only $4 for taxes. :)

Tcherniaev

Reaction score
Alamo

You'll have to check their website. I had a Free Day cert so it was only $4 for taxes. :)
Just to let you know, Alamo is right across the street (above McDonalds), and they have great rates, and easy access in and out (but you still have to return the car before their office closes). Last year I rented daily from them 5-6 times and paid around $20 per day.