• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

GO Airlines makes the news

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both pilots fall asleep at 9:00 a.m on the way to Hilo. Gee, maybe someone does need to bang on the door.

The fact is that you get what you pay for. The pilots at this airline are young. They work harder (more hours than pilots at other airlines) and they play hard. They probably needed to rest their eyes for a minute. Pilots at this airline will get about 2000 hours and move on to a better company like Hawaiian or Aloha, or a major in the mainland. Most pilots are younger than 30 years old and probably have a more active night life. No excuses for this to happen, it is just the facts.

The FAA opens investigation, stay tuned.

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/4199/40

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG

I'm speechless................

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As my Mother would say, "There's going to be hell to pay for that one!"

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just think - they almost had a free trip to Tahiti! :D

(Yes, I know the plane would run out of fuel long before Tahiti! ;) )

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just think - they almost had a free trip to Tahiti! :D

(Yes, I know the plane would run out of fuel long before Tahiti! ;) )

Especially since they were heading East at the time. Honolulu to Hilo flight, right? Next stop, Central America, or thereabouts.

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Maybe they will have a big sale now! :)

The RT flights between Maui and Kauai have been pretty high, so maybe we will get lucky and catch their, "Our-pilots-are-asleep-on-the-job-but-please-try-us-anyway sale."

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good grief! I just booked Honolulu-Lihue return flights for my DS and DDIL on Go!

There better be strong coffee served in the cockpit on those flights...

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe they will have a big sale now! :)

The RT flights between Maui and Kauai have been pretty high, so maybe we will get lucky and catch their, "Our-pilots-are-asleep-on-the-job-but-please-try-us-anyway sale."

Nah..."we offer restful flights for everyone on board!"

eesshhh!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
That is a great name for the sale!

There are regulations that require the pilots to rest a certain number of hours, so I am very surprised by the news of pilots sleeping at the wheel.

I, on the other hand, have a very difficult time on those flights because the planes feel very unsteady. I am glad the pilots can relax, I guess. :rofl: That should make me feel better about flying, shouldn't it?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Actully, given the average age of the go! staff, I'm surprised they would be allowed to even get a work permit! Jeez, I have socks older than some of those kids... :hysterical:

Dave

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh for the good old days when the pilots were drunk. The young Pilots of today are too lazy to stay awake and drink. What is the world coming to? :zzz:

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
About 98% of the time, the autopilot is flying anyway. I would bet this happens on all airlines.

Not condoning this, just sure its a somewhat regular thing. Gets boring driving a "bus" all day.

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Both pilots fall asleep at 9:00 a.m on the way to Hilo. Gee, maybe someone does need to bang on the door.

The article doesn't say they fell asleep. Folks are only speculating. An investigation has begun. I think it would be improbable that TWO pilots could fall asleep during such a short flight. Unless they were up late drinking Mai Tais and practicing hula moves. :)

Pretty scary though.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
.... Unless they were up late drinking Mai Tais and practicing hula moves.

If that is the case then see post below...
FAA requires 8 hours bottle to throttle and the limit is .04%. .04% is low enough that if you're out a drinkin the night before you could be above .04% the next mornin. There has been more that one case where pilots were removed from duty for being FUI and their last dring was the night before.

Oh for the good old days when the pilots were drunk. ...

hvsteve1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pilots asleep?

For those of you already nervous about airline safety, you'll love this article about the GO! Airlines plane which was supposed to land in Hilo but continued on out to sea. It eventually landed, but the FAA is investigating to see if the reason the plan didn't land and the crew did not respond to radio calls was that the plane was on autopilot while the pilot and co-pilot fell asleep.:zzz:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0220abrk-sleepingpilots.html

[Since there is an existing thread on this topic on the Hawaii Board, I am going to merge the two threads for continuity.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

The fact is that you get what you pay for. The pilots at this airline are young. They work harder (more hours than pilots at other airlines) and they play hard. They probably needed to rest their eyes for a minute. Pilots at this airline will get about 2000 hours and move on to a better company like Hawaiian or Aloha, or a major in the mainland. Most pilots are younger than 30 years old and probably have a more active night life. No excuses for this to happen, it is just the facts.

The FAA opens investigation, stay tuned.

Better be careful banging on the door, the air marshall might arrest you. :D

Sterling