• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Glass Trays Out Of Old Microwave Ovens -- What Are They Good For ?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Our experience with microwaves has been pretty good -- so much so that nobody in the whole household can handle kitchen operations without at least 1 moderately high power microwave. Not only that, the quality & features & power of microwaves have gone up as the prices have come down. Remember those old high price Amana RadarRange microwaves from 30 years ago? Today's $40 Sears specials routinely zap rings around the oversize oldies that had such high prices.

Older microwaves -- most of'm anyway -- came equipped with square or oblong glass plates on the floors of the microwaves. If something spilled or boiled over during the zap process, it landed on an easy-to-clean glass tray. Later on, rotating turntables became standard equipment on just about all microwaves, & those come equipped with round glass plates instead of square or oblong glass trays.

Nothing lasts forever, & by now The Chief Of Staff & I have worn out & used up & thrown away at least a half-dozen defunct microwaves that we've replaced with better & cheaper new microwaves -- including 1 in our dinky 34-foot travel trailer. But it seemed such a shame to waste those perfectly good square & oblong glass trays & round microwave turntable plates that we have stacked up a mini-museum of perfectly good glass trays & plates out of defunct microwaves which long since went to Mt. Trashmore.

The thing is, we don't actually use those perfectly good trays & plates for anything. In fact, the question arises: Perfectly Good For What , Exactly ?

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the houseplant group, using it (I only have one orphan tray) as a saucer under moss filled basket planter on my dining table. I had one other that I gave to a friend who broke hers & needed a new one. It was one of those round turntable ones. She was thrilled to get a free replacement.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Wow - a missed opportunity! I thought I kept too much "stuff" but that's the one thing I didn't think of keeping... could've been a great plant tray - better than the plastics I'm using now. Now I know I should never ever throw anything away - I just need to convince my DH.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
...And there you have it. The optimal use for old glass trays out of defunct microwaves appears to be drip dishes for potted plants. That's a great idea, and I certainly agree that it's better than the plastic trays that fade and do not clean up well.
Other uses could include catch trays for pet food dishes, serving trays, and trays for holding the cosmetics in the bathroom.

Respectfully submitted,

Marty

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It depends on size, shape, and durability. But uses are endless, if you have a bit of imagination. Here are a few that come to mind:

I currently use one in my kitchen under a temperamental coffeemaker, that is known to overflow for no obvious (and preventable) reason. The raised edge on the square tray holds in the spilled coffee, keeping it from running all over the counter.

Use one for a cutting board - great for grating or slicing cheese, and a snap to clean up.

Try one under the centerpiece on the dining room table (disguised under a covering of some sort) to catch drips and slops during holiday meals. Especially handy when using floral displays with water in them.

Similarly, try one as a drip catcher under a candle. It'll hold the dripping wax, and if it has feet, it may prevent your tabletop from getting too hot.

Try a larger square one under your pet food dishes, to catch those amazing messes animals always seem to make where they eat.

How about on the vanity in your bathroom, under the assorted bottles, perfumes, soaps, and such. Imagine if the toothpaste goo was in such an easy-to-clean place.

Use one as a thawing tray under frozen meat when sitting on the counter. If it has those little glass feet molded under the tray, as more modern round turntable microwave dishes seem to have, it'll keep the accumulated water from getting your counter all wet, even through osmosis.

Use square ones in the refrigerator, to catch drips under sloppy dishes, soda cans, and such.

Use one as a serving tray under a cake or pie. You can cut on it, serve from it, even cover the dessert with plastic wrap and refrigerate the leftovers.

The list could go on, but the uses are many. Hope these ideas give you some tips to think about. Obviously, you'd have to test things out to see how well they'd work, since there are no guarantees. But as I understand them, they can handle hot and cold very well, just not direct flame heat.

Hope this helps.

Dave

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, what great ideas! :clap:

This is making me almost happy that my microwave just died! :rofl: Now, my only decision is whether to use the glass tray under plants or under the cats' food bowl....

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Since I don't have any plants, I chuck mine with the old microwave!!!