• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting out of a time share

billbeaver101

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a timeshare my wife and I have owned for years. We have not been able to travel for quite a few years because of her health so we rented it. She passed away last year and I would like to unload it. I've had it for sale on TUG for a penny and no takers. I'm now considering using a company to get out of it. Has anyone used or know of a company called Kubiak Enterprise? They are located in Encinitas, California and seem to have good reviews. There is so much bad news about these companies that I'm leary about contacting them.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If any company asks you to pay upfront to get rid of your timeshare, run away. They will take your money, and you'll still be stuck with the timeshare. I know nothing about the company you've mentioned.

You could broaden your search to give away your timeshare. Besides TUG there are other places. I can think of eBay and others may have more suggestions.

I am so sorry about the loss of your wife.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even giving a TS away for free takes a little work. Make an attractive ad. Include some pictures. Refresh the ad occasionally to keep it closer to the top. Some people have offered to reserve a 'good' week for new owners while the transfer processes, or offer a prepaid gift card upon completion of the transfer. Be creative. Someone will give it a new home.

Sorry for the loss of your traveling companion, and Good Luck!

Jim

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Offer $500 plus paying closing costs. I'm sure this rubs you wrong but $500 is only a fraction of one years MF. The sooner you get rid of your Week the better you will feel. If $500 doesn't do the job, raise it to $750, then $1,000 if you have to. Your goal is to get out. Don't let a few dollars get in your way...

George

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
So sorry about your wife’s passing.

You have been given good advice already. If it was me this would be my game plan:

#1. List your timeshare in the FREE bargain bin giveaway forum. Posting your free timeshare in the TUG marketplace just doesn’t get the same visibility.

#2. Try to make a reservation for a peak period that can transfer with the sale. Include free closing and transfer with the sale (transfer process is easier than you think if you utilize LT Transfers which many here give high praises). As @bogey21 suggests, include a $500 gift card (or more if needed) at closing.

#3. “Sell” your ad by including pictures and features of the timeshare. For example, it may have many resort amenities, kids activities, nearby shopping, great restaurants, local attractions, free shuttles, and nice pools. Include some personal stories or memories your family has had.

#4. Every week (or less) post something new on your thread. Add another new story or additional amenity. If there are interesting events that happens locally around your timeshare include that info. By posting something new it bumps your thread to the top again so it will gain more views.

I don’t even know what you own but if you follow these steps I would be surprised if you don’t eventually find a taker.

If you use an “exit” company they will require you to pay them thousands of dollars upfront. All they give you upfront is a promise and there are many many stories where they don’t keep their promise. The suggestions include you paying closing costs and possibly a gift card. Even if you gave a $2,000 gift card you would likely still be ahead dollar wise. You would also KNOW it is getting done and not just be given a bunch of excuses by the exit company.

Finally, many times these exit companies will take your thousands and then use a program that your timeshare company already has available to owners at a fraction of the cost. However, the exit company simply pockets all that extra payment as theirs. For example, Wyndham has such a program called Ovations. Have you already asked your timeshare company about a deedback program?

Good luck!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see any suggestions above for the OP to directly contact the (unidentified) resort in question to inquire about a "deedback". If it's an available option (acknowledging that it may not be), "deedback" would surely be the quickest, cleanest and least expensive of any and all "exit" avenues.

It would cost nothing for OP to inquire. The unfortunate fact that he is now a widower might make the HOA consider that if they decline his "deedback" request, he might then opt to just stop paying fees, ultimately requiring the HOA to expend the (avoidable) time and cost of initiating foreclosure. If the OP could rent this timeshare, the HOA could surely do the same while seeking a new owner.

In any case, no so-called "exit company" (including Kubiak whatever) is an option for the OP to consider --- not even momentarily.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Regarding Kubiak Enterprises, they have some discrepancies which makes me doubt much of what they say.

For example, they proudly claim that they were established in 2012 with a sole mission of being the best timeshare disposal company. While their LLC was in fact established in 2012 their website wasn’t created until March 2018. It appears that the LLC did not have anything to do with timeshares prior to 2018 so I consider this to very misleading. They also claim to have a 100% success rate which I find very hard to believe. Finally, they have 48 glowing BBB reviews. Many legit companies in business for decades have significantly less BBB reviews than that so I would also question how many of those are real reviews.

E6D132B4-D35F-43A5-A80C-BA9D9A3B3C9D.jpeg

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Offer $500 plus paying closing costs. I'm sure this rubs you wrong but $500 is only a fraction of one years MF. The sooner you get rid of your Week the better you will feel. If $500 doesn't do the job, raise it to $750, then $1,000 if you have to. Your goal is to get out. Don't let a few dollars get in your way...
George
I think going to those extremes will scare off the buyer. They will wonder why someone is so desperate.

nicogrande1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a timeshare my wife and I have owned for years. We have not been able to travel for quite a few years because of her health so we rented it. She passed away last year and I would like to unload it. I've had it for sale on TUG for a penny and no takers. I'm now considering using a company to get out of it. Has anyone used or know of a company called Kubiak Enterprise? They are located in Encinitas, California and seem to have good reviews. There is so much bad news about these companies that I'm leary about contacting them.
Call Judi Kozlowski the best in the business. She just helped me sell my HGVC I had for 25 years. Actually got some cash out a it. She may be a big help even if it's worthless. Her advice is absolutely amazing. Tell her Nick sent you. Phone # is in tug.

nicogrande1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call Judi Kozlowski the best in the business. She just helped me sell my HGVC I had for 25 years. Actually got some cash out a it. She may be a big help even if it's worthless. Her advice is absolutely amazing. Tell her Nick sent you. Phone # is in tug.
Companies that get u out of time shares are almost always ripoffs. Why not hire someone that knows the business and pay for their time and good advise. I've been where u are and it sucks big ones !!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
What timeshare do you own?
Sorry for the loss of your wife.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just looking at your ad, you list that you expect the buyer to pay half the closing costs.

there is really no reason to potentially make any interested buyer look at another ad where the owner will pay ALL the closing costs, just for a few dollars.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think going to those extremes will scare off the buyer. They will wonder why someone is so desperate.
The reason I advocate juicing the transaction goes back to the days when I wanted to sell one of my race horses. I figured I was better off giving someone some cash rather than continuing to feed the horse. Horses and TimeShares have a lot in common. Both have a tendency to lose value over time and both continue to cost you money until you get rid of them. Cash up front almost always worked...

George

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason I advocate juicing the transaction goes back to the days when I wanted to sell one of my race horses. I figured I was better off giving someone some cash rather than continuing to feed the horse. Horses and TimeShares have a lot in common. Both have a tendency to lose value over time and both continue to cost you money until you get rid of them. Cash up front almost always worked...
George
Yes, but people may think there is something wrong, or pending trouble, with the ts if too much is offered (unless they are TUG savvy), and run from the deal. It should be a clue how much trouble they are going to have getting rid of it in the future, too.

Andrearr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages (Bella) Vistana
Offer a free week? It's Basically cash by paying mf for them. 1 to 2 years of mf fees paid? Or exchange fees for diff companies? Find a way to make it attractive without "seeming" desperate?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Yes, but people may think there is something wrong, or pending trouble, with the ts if too much is offered (unless they are TUG savvy), and run from the deal. It should be a clue how much trouble they are going to have getting rid of it in the future, too.

I respectfully disagree. Everyone is looking for a bargain. If the deal is strong enough you would likely get people jumping on it that wasn’t even thinking of getting that particular timeshare. If there are people falling for scammers offering $50,000 for their otherwise worthless timeshare then there are people out there to get excited about a free timeshare, free week, free closing and a $500 gift card.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. Everyone is looking for a bargain. If the deal is strong enough you would likely get people jumping on it that wasn’t even thinking of getting that particular timeshare. If there are people falling for scammers offering $50,000 for their otherwise worthless timeshare then there are people out there to get excited about a free timeshare, free week, free closing and a $500 gift card.
More power to them. :ROFLMAO: And my sympathies. But I do concede, if someone understands ts, and can use or trade it well, what a deal. Getting rid of it in the future will be dealt with then.

Last edited:

shorep

Reaction score
Good advice from tug genius Brian there, you pay the closing fees two things happen, you make the offer tempting and you get to know it is completed, cos you paid for it and have the proof, the payback is the first MF stays in your bank accountant, the next, and the next and the.........you get the picture, endless beer vouchers.

billbeaver101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding Kubiak Enterprises, they have some discrepancies which makes me doubt much of what they say.

For example, they proudly claim that they were established in 2012 with a sole mission of being the best timeshare disposal company. While their LLC was in fact established in 2012 their website wasn’t created until March 2018. It appears that the LLC did not have anything to do with timeshares prior to 2018 so I consider this to very misleading. They also claim to have a 100% success rate which I find very hard to believe. Finally, they have 48 glowing BBB reviews. Many legit companies in business for decades have significantly less BBB reviews than that so I would also question how many of those are real reviews.

View attachment 36959
Thank you for the feedback

billbeaver101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good advice from tug genius Brian there, you pay the closing fees two things happen, you make the offer tempting and you get to know it is completed, cos you paid for it and have the proof, the payback is the first MF stays in your bank accountant, the next, and the next and the.........you get the picture, endless beer vouchers.
I agree

billbeaver101

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree

billbeaver101

TUG Member
Reaction score
just looking at your ad, you list that you expect the buyer to pay half the closing costs.

there is really no reason to potentially make any interested buyer look at another ad where the owner will pay ALL the closing costs, just for a few dollars.
I agree, changed the ad. Thank you