• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fractional Ownership in Hawaii

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
We've been long time Marriott weeks owners, and more recently we picked up a Westin WKORV OFD week. While my Marriott weeks are not in Hawaii, I have been lucky enough to trade into Maui and Ko Olina several times every year through Interval. I'm starting to see the writing on the wall with Maui Ocean Club, and with recent Marriott/Vistana changes behind the scenes, good trades are becoming more infrequent, and I believe that will continue. I'm at the point now of deciding between adding more fixed weeks so that I can be sure to get into MOC, or alternatively, maybe go with some other fractional type of ownership, or possibly create one of my own. I will never move to Hawaii full time, as tempting as that sounds, but the idea of owning something other than a random timeshare week that Marriott controls is kind of appealing. Does anyone have any experience with fractional ownership, the type which is not a timeshare? How would I find partners to join me if I were to identify a property?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Ritz Carlton had some residences that were 12 week fractional ownerships next to what is now The Montage in Kapalua. Perhaps some of those are still available/for sale. They looked nice when I looked at them, but at that point in life I preferred being able to go to different places rather than be stuck with one location. I still kind of like the flexibility, but wouldn't mind having a place in Maui where I could go more often, in addition to the trips elsewhere.

They still mention the Residences at https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/residences/kapalua

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Here's some listings. Price vary greatly. I'm sure there are others. I would prefer buying one instead of trying to set one up. That just sounds like a nightmare.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
My folks owned two months a year at the Maui Sunset with five other families-they sold it during the pandemic as the other families are Canadian and unable to travel. We personally love that place and wish my folks had kept it-it’s not fancy but really well maintained and lots of the folks come for months a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My folks owned two months a year at the Maui Sunset with five other families-they sold it during the pandemic as the other families are Canadian and unable to travel. We personally love that place and wish my folks had kept it-it’s not fancy but really well maintained and lots of the folks come for months a year.

We just stayed there last year and it is a nice well maintained place. We loved our stay.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

We've stayed at Maui Sunset twice. Not overly impressed. It's plus is that the resort is ocean front, but I doubt many of the units have much of a view. We didn't. Also as I remember, and this was years back, we didn't use that beach at all as it had a lot of "stuff" on it (and I don't remember what the stuff was, probably plankton). In my memory the units were on the small side, and dark, but again I could be remembering wrong.

Put it this way, when dh and I stayed at Maui Sunset we had no desire to buy there. When we stayed at Maui Hill, we bought a unit.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Might talk to Maui Resort Rentals. They handle a lot of high-end rentals and have offered multi-week timeshare and pure fractionals like the Montage.

Likely a budget question when looking at west Maui. Hyatt and MOC fixed week strings are rare and priced accordingly for 2-4 weeks.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
We've stayed at Maui Sunset twice. Not overly impressed. It's plus is that the resort is ocean front, but I doubt many of the units have much of a view. We didn't. Also as I remember, and this was years back, we didn't use that beach at all as it had a lot of "stuff" on it (and I don't remember what the stuff was, probably plankton). In my memory the units were on the small side, and dark, but again I could be remembering wrong.

Put it this way, when dh and I stayed at Maui Sunset we had no desire to buy there. When we stayed at Maui Hill, we bought a unit.

The unit we rented for 25 years was a three bedroom, second floor from top, oceanfront, very large. The view was fabulous. The one my parents owned was a two bedroom, not quite at the end but also wonderful view.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Here's some listings. Price vary greatly. I'm sure there are others. I would prefer buying one instead of trying to set one up. That just sounds like a nightmare.

Every trip to Hawaii has me reading the real estate for sale adds. I had thought about buying a condo but decided for us it is easier to have timeshares.

Bill