• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exploria Resorts refers owners looking to exit to upfront fee resale company

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
At the top of my list on things that absolutely piss me off, is when the industry itself (ARDA for example), and individual resort developers actually REFER people to known upfront fee resale companies.

In this example sent to me today from an owner, they reached out seeking help in exiting their timeshare and were essentially told "sorry, we wont take it back, you will need to sell it yourself and here is a trusted company you can use" This company of course was timeshares only, who this particular owner contacted thinking their own resort wouldnt lead them astray would they?

For more options to transfer your timeshare, please consider reaching out to a reputable and legitimate timeshare resale company, such as Timeshares Only.  Timeshares Only is both trusted by ARDA and accredited by the BBB, with an A+ BBB rating.  Timeshares Only is independently owned and operated and has no affiliation with Exploria Resorts, though they are our featured reseller due to their familiarity with our product. 

They were then charged $499 to list their timeshare on the site for $2000. anyone want to place bets on if it ever got sold? no? how odd!

and people wonder why I make videos about defaulting on a timeshare as a legitimate option to end your ownership. If this is truly the solution that exploria has chosen for their owners who contact them for help on exiting a paid off ownership, I hope everyone starts defaulting on Exploria timeshares they cant sell.

Last edited:

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Agree, that's ridiculous!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshares Only has an A+ rating with the BBB?!?!

BTW, TUG Brian, what did you tell this person when he asked about TImeshares Only?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
they have recently joined TUG and listed their property for free hoping to attract a buyer.

its a week already enrolled in RCI points, so I hope they wont have any issues rehoming it when offering it for free.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No affiliation with Exploria, eh? But 'how bout with Capital or whoever owns them? Maybe Timeshares Only is a subsidiary of Capital or otherwise connected financially. They are so evil. Grrr. And this is "interesting", given what's unfolding with the mess at Beach House Golf & Racquet Club in Myrtle Beach. Bad bad news.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt there is any legal relationship there, but likely a significant financial one!

no doubt TSO pays a very hefty sum for ARDA to promote them as a "trusted resale site", perhaps the same goes for exploria.

Last edited:

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is going to backfire horribly on Capital or Exploria when the people are told to stop paying maintenance fees and all the properties go into default and then Capital or Exploria institute foreclosure proceedings.

Every one of those owners will bring the letter of recommendation into the courtroom and argue "I just did what they told me to do. And I want my $2000 back."

Can't help wondering if this was done by office staff trying to be helpful, not executives.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer but I go to bed with one every night.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the documentation I was provided looked very much like a form letter, vs something typed up by an individual staff member etc.

It makes me ill to think that this is, or has become standard practice for any exploria owner who reaches out to try to surrender a paid off timeshare.

Last edited:

SML123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Meriweather Resort, Fort Lauderdale Beach, Florida
Garza Blanca, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Timeshares Only has an A+ rating with the BBB?!?!

BTW, TUG Brian, what did you tell this person when he asked about TImeshares Only?

BBB is a dinosaur. Means nothing. Most people do not know that for all these years small businesses are EXTORTED to join BBB and once you pay the ridiculous annual fee, it allows you to remove negative comments. In the current internet climate the only people who even know about BBB or think they are worthy are too old to GOOGLE commentary about a company. Thankfully the BBB has lost its grip on businesses. I loathe the BBB.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At the top of my list on things that absolutely piss me off, is when the industry itself (ARDA for example), and individual resort developers actually REFER people to known upfront fee resale companies.

In this example sent to me today from a Capital Resorts/Exploria owner, they reached out seeking help in exiting their timeshare and were essentially told "sorry, we wont take it back, you will need to sell it yourself and here is a trusted company you can use" This company of course was timeshares only, who this particular owner contacted thinking their own resort wouldnt lead them astray would they?

They were then charged $499 to list their timeshare on the site for $2000. anyone want to place bets on if it ever got sold? no? how odd!

and people wonder why I make videos about defaulting on a timeshare as a legitimate option to end your ownership. If this is truly the solution that capitol resorts has chosen for their owners who contact them for help on exiting a paid off ownership, I hope everyone starts defaulting on Capital Resorts timeshares they cant sell.
Capital and Exploria aren't related at least the last time I looked. It looks like the info came from Exploria which doesn't mean Capital is without their faults but just because the letter was sent from Exploria to someone who owns at both Capital and Exploria doesn't mean that Capital (per your title) is referring owners to this company.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
apologies, this got a bit convoluted in the communication as the resort in question originally was/is a capital resorts timeshare.

but going back to the original email, the signature showed exploria resorts

THAT said, it does appear that this is a common theme, as this was just posted this morning on FB, knowing full well that this particular resort would have to be given away for nothing to attract a buyer. Ive seen this fairly regularly, but it was simply anecdotal until someone fowarded me an actual email from their resort and now there is proof of it.

Attachments

• silverlake.jpg
    silverlake.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 49

Sandy2213

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beach House & Raquetball Myrtle Beach SC

In this example sent to me today from a Exploria owner, they reached out seeking help in exiting their timeshare and were essentially told "sorry, we wont take it back, you will need to sell it yourself and here is a trusted company you can use" This company of course was timeshares only, who this particular owner contacted thinking their own resort wouldnt lead them astray would they?

and people wonder why I make videos about defaulting on a timeshare as a legitimate option to end your ownership. If this is truly the solution that exploria resorts has chosen for their owners who contact them for help on exiting a paid off ownership, I hope everyone starts defaulting on Exploria timeshares they cant sell.
I’m in that boat now! We paid for 25 years. We jumped through all the hoops Capital Vacay asked us so we could deed in Lieu of. Sent in paperwork 3 times. They never responded. I was told they would respond. Now we are getting collection letters.

Last edited by a moderator: