• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Executors fee

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m executor of my moms estate. Soon to be settled. Lawyer called me today and want to know if I wanted the payment to me, the executor, split with my siblings! I guess I was blindsided and don’t know what I should do. What customary?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are the sole executor and it's spelt out that you should get a fee, then it should go to you. If it is not listed in the will/trust, and you decided to charge a fee, then the fee should go to you. It is your choice as to whether you want to split with your siblings, but if there is a fee, it should go to you. Anything else is considered "goodwill".

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I’m executor of my moms estate. Soon to be settled. Lawyer called me today and want to know if I wanted the payment to me, the executor, split with my siblings! I guess I was blindsided and don’t know what I should do. What customary?

I've been executor twice. It was for members of our family trusts so I was paid $25 an hour for what I did and I paid the family the same. You could tell the attorney to do whatever is customary and take a fee or split it with your siblings.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I’m sole executor……..The will is set up as the executor gets a certain percent!

Because your mom set it up this way you should consider taking the percentage, imo. I expect our executor to do what we want. I'm thinking your mom did too.

Bill

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What’s customary? I was executor for a family estate. I could’ve taken a fee, but didn’t because the beneficiaries were family and church. It was a lot of work and took almost two years to settle the estate, but I was OK with that. Do what you are comfortable with.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I’m sole executor……..The will is set up as the executor gets a certain percent!
If the will specified a certain percent, then honor the terms of the will and take it. Your mom made a decision to give extra in recognition of all the work involved. Whatever she left to your siblings took that into account. Her money, her decision.

Sounds a bit like the lawyer is stirring a pot that doesn't need to be stirred....

Brett

Reaction score

I was the executor of a family trust but did not take a fee. My brother and I were the beneficiaries of the trust and I could have taken a fee but I wanted everything to be transparent with no conflicts of interest

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I was the executor of a family trust but did not take a fee. My brother and I were the beneficiaries of the trust and I could have taken a fee but I wanted everything to be transparent with no conflicts of interest
When our Mom (our last surviving parent) died, I did not take a fee . . . mainly for these same reasons and to avoid conflict with my 2 sisters.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
My sister is a retired attorney and has settled multiple estates for her husband’s family and also helped my dad with my mother’s estate. My dad has made clear multiple times in emails to his three kids as well as amendments to his will that she gets a certain sum “off the top” of his estate when the time comes. Neither my brother nor I have a problem with that - we know it will be a LOT of work!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
As a side note, the fee that you receive is taxable income, but if you are the executor in a one-off way it is not subject to self-employment tax.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
My wife was the executor of her Mom's estate. Her Mom had a living trust, but did not have the trust as the beneficiary on an investment account or a bank account, so it went into probate. California has a statutory fee for the probate atty. and executor. That fee seemed substantial initially.

But it was a tremendous amount of work. We spent 6 weeks emptying the apartment. Countless loaded pickup trips to and from the apartment. One sibling came out briefly and helped emptying the apartment for 2 days (which was appreciated and was helpful) and to see her Mom the last time. The other sibling couldn't be bothered with seeing her Mom again (she had seen her only 3 times in 18 years) and couldn't be bothered emptying the apartment. We spent months after that donating, gifting and shipping or tossing stuff that we removed from the apartment. That one sibling not only didn't help, but hired an attorney to help make sure she wasn't cheated and she challenged my wife as the stated executor. Her atty would call ours and racked up $1000 in extra fees for the estate. She also withheld signing the final waiver for months while intimating that she might sue. She was (in my opinion) a royal PITA.

I calculated how much my wife earned per hour as executor and it was a bit less than minimum wage. But the estate is 99% settled now and will be closed entirely after the next tax season.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've dealt as executor on 2 trusts. The first was on my Aunt's and it was very complicated and time consuming. It also had the trust that included several people and some with expectations that weren't warranted. Another words I had some pain in the ass relatives not happy with what they were inheriting. I did charge but it was at the lowest amount.
In this case I had an uncle (my Aunt's brother) that felt he should get the house and other things plus money. He never bothered seeing my Aunt when she was sick as my mother took my Aunt in and helped her for over 15 years. At one point my Aunt's house was going to be divided between her siblings. She changed that after another sister talked to her about who helped and whom ignored her. She ended up redoing her trust and having her house go to my Mom and the other assets divided.
My uncle would call me every week,not even saying hello and just asking for his money.
In the second case it was my brother's estate and was to be divided between my siblings and myself. I knew that one siblings was out of work and financially suffering. In this case I turned down a substantial fee that I could have taken and paid taxes on and instead we each ended up with an extra $5,000 which made a big difference to my sister and a few others.
Bart

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
Atleast, I got a BIG laugh 😊. In my mind, I had not gotten to the end of finalizing the estate. Bottom line……I just never thought that would be a question from the lawyer.
Yes, it is alot of work…….one sister didn’t help at all ( she already bullied me out of a ring that mom gave me), one sister took many pieces of furniture, jewelry and filled her car as mom laid there dying, the other sister snickered mom out of her car for cheap a few years earlier and jewelry. I’m not troubled by all that anymore, but wonder how much more I will “hand over” to make others happy. I want to decide soon so the lawyer is able to finalize things. I gave them all they asked for, so I was shocked I’m not done giving🤷‍♀️