• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

EV batteries lose up to a third of their range in cold weather and take longer to charge

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is no surprise to EV owners. It's only a revelation to those contemplating a new purchase.

Related issue: How many ICE users contemplate that the same effect is known on ICE vehicles. Higher rolling resistance, time spent 'warming up' the ICE vehicle, discomfort of the cold seats, steering wheel, time spent scraping ice off windows all contribute to lower MPG in cold weather. Most EVs can be set- either on the screen, or by the app on your phone to turn on the climate control and/or warm the seats while it's plugged in, thereby not using 'motive' electrons for creature comfort until you're actually driving it.

Just like the MPG stated on the window sticker on your last gas guzzler may be more- or less (usually less) than you actually achieve, your EV's 'mileage may vary'

For the 90% of EV users who simply plug the car in at night in their garage, it matters little.

Jim

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
The average person drives anywhere from 12K to 15K per year. That comes out to an average of 41 miles per day using the higher end of 15K. For those using the EV as a local commuter, like I do, that is plenty even if the cold weather sapped 80% of the range. For me at least, it also evens out over the course of a full year as I get significantly more range in the summer than I would normally expect.

If you are towing or take many long distance trips and live in a cold weather state then an EV may not be for you. If you are like a majority of people who use the car for local trips around town, to and from work, taxi the kids around, and can charge up at home at night, then an EV is perfect for that.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
This is no surprise to EV owners. It's only a revelation to those contemplating a new purchase.

Related issue: How many ICE users contemplate that the same effect is known on ICE vehicles. Higher rolling resistance, time spent 'warming up' the ICE vehicle, discomfort of the cold seats, steering wheel, time spent scraping ice off windows all contribute to lower MPG in cold weather. Most EVs can be set- either on the screen, or by the app on your phone to turn on the climate control and/or warm the seats while it's plugged in, thereby not using 'motive' electrons for creature comfort until you're actually driving it.

Just like the MPG stated on the window sticker on your last gas guzzler may be more- or less (usually less) than you actually achieve, your EV's 'mileage may vary'

For the 90% of EV users who simply plug the car in at night in their garage, it matters little.

Jim
You forgot to add that the ethanol blends that are required in many areas in the winter can also cut the fuel efficiency of ICE vehicles by 15% or more.

Kurt

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
You forgot to add that the ethanol blends that are required in many areas in the winter can also cut the fuel efficiency of ICE vehicles by 15% or more.

Kurt
That ethanol also contributes to the Gulf of Mexico dead zone due to corn production:
gulf-dead-zone.jpg

Gulf Dead Zone

The dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico is indicated in red, above. The so-called Gulf Dead Zone is a region of the ocean where there is so little oxygen that almost no life exists beneath the surface waters. In 2010, the Gulf Dead Zone was about 20,140 square kilometers (7,776 square miles).

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

Kurt
Ethanol is horrible and has no value as a “green” fuel and we’re stuck with it because congress never reverses stupid laws.

I once had a Ducati motorcycle with a plastic fuel tank. The tank would swell so much that it would get loose on the frame. After several replacements theh dealer, they determined it was the ethanol in US fuel (Europe doesn’t have ethanol) that was causing the swelling. Crazy. Boaters hate it too. In Florida you can buy ethanol free fuel but not here in California.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ethanol is horrible and has no value as a “green” fuel and we’re stuck with it because congress never reverses stupid laws.

I once had a Ducati motorcycle with a plastic fuel tank. The tank would swell so much that it would get loose on the frame. After several replacements theh dealer, they determined it was the ethanol in US fuel (Europe doesn’t have ethanol) that was causing the swelling. Crazy. Boaters hate it too. In Florida you can buy ethanol free fuel but not here in California.
Ethanol production requirements also contribute to higher food prices. Even in low corn production years, a percentage of the corn must be used for ethanol, thus making it more expensive to feed livestock. It is time for the fed to eliminate ethanol fuel requirements since it has negative consequences without any benefit.

Regarding ICE fuel usage, I monitor my fuel mileage and I get the same MPG's in winter as I do in summer, so I don't see any negative impact except when stuck in traffic due to hazardous road conditions.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Ethanol production requirements also contribute to higher food prices. Even in low corn production years, a percentage of the corn must be used for ethanol, thus making it more expensive to feed livestock. It is time for the fed to eliminate ethanol fuel requirements since it has negative consequences without any benefit.

Regarding ICE fuel usage, I monitor my fuel mileage and I get the same MPG's in winter as I do in summer, so I don't see any negative impact except when stuck in traffic due to hazardous road conditions.
Big Agriculture pays too many politicians to keep the scam going and since corn is grown in Iowa (an important state in the presidential primary) we’re stuck with it forever. Laws are never reversed in DC. Only added to.